Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday January 28, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-01-2002, 11:37 PM   #1
Impulsivegoat23
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 25761
Vehicle:
2002 2.5 RS
Alpine White

Default Knock/Det. on startup? ECU stall engine?

I have had a Ganzflow on my 02 RS for a month to a month and a half. Last week I put a Apex'i WRX N1 exhaust (2.5" to 3.0" piping) and then Friday night I put on a Borla header. Now I have a CEL which I'll worry about until Autozone can confirm the Catalyst Inefficiency code. The other night I heard some rattling similar to that Cobreth was asking about, same as him thought it might be the intake tubing hitting the inner fender wall. Then yesterday, when starting up the car I heard the same noise and then it stalled. I assume that the "extra" flow from these parts very well could cause detonation/Knock. Is the clackity sound I heard possibly that and if it was detonation on start-up would the ECU detect it, retard the ignition and in the process cut the engine off? When Autozone confirms/negates the CEL, will the ECU also tell codes on it having detected Detonation? Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Impulsivegoat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 11:46 PM   #2
MattDell
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16803
Chapter/Region: International

Ok, that sounds EXACTLY like what happened to me, but I don't have headers and my car is stalling while driving. Maybe there is some kind of unknown problem with the GDA 2.5RS?
MattDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 11:56 PM   #3
Impulsivegoat23
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 25761
Vehicle:
2002 2.5 RS
Alpine White

That's what I thought when I saw you had an '02 as well. I've heard it twice. Once when it died while starting, and once while driving but it didn't stall the first time I heard it while driving. Just a little more info.....my sound was metal clacking/ pinging sound, and from where I was behind the wheel it sounded like it was right on the other side of the passenger side windshield, like passenger side of the engine bay right around the hood hinge area. By the way my Ganzflow doesn't have a mounting bracket that attaches it where the stock one was mounted, but I haven't heard it "flop around" before the headers neither.
Impulsivegoat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 12:21 AM   #4
MattDell
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16803
Chapter/Region: International

My Cobb doesn't have any mounting brackets, either, it just kinda rests on the fender and throttle body. The sound I get is coming from the same place you're describing. Do you have a MT? Try going uphill with the RPMs about 1.5 - 2.5K and feathering the clutch. That's when I heard it the most. That, and when I started the engine. Last night I went and checked to see if my Cobb was in the fender or not. It wasn't, and I slipped it back into the fender and slipped the silicone end out a bit more so it wouldn't come out again. Mine has been running like a champ for 50 miles since I did that, but only time will tell. I've still got a CEL, though, but I've had that since before I got the Cobb. I'm starting to think that my friend unplugged something when he installed my Hella horns for me. We installed the horns around where the MAP sensor is and I've had that CEL since then. Man, I need someone to look at my car who has some experience with MAPs. I really don't feel like going to Subaru, my dealer is a PITA.
MattDell is offline   Reply With Quote