Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-10-2002, 02:30 PM   #1
ychan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 9418
Vehicle:
2002 2.5rs
aspen white

Default MRT cat (meow!)

i know a lot of people have been having trouble with the MRT cat. what are some indications that there is something wrong with the cat? what's going on down there? thanks.
-y
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 03:12 AM   #2
slamck
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1436
Vehicle:
'00 RS
'03 LLBean, '05 B4

The cat that came with my MRT exhaust broke in less than six months. To be exact, its the honeycomb catalyst broke into pieces inside the cat converter. You'll hear the broken pieces rattle inside the cat if your cat is broken like mine. The broken pieces may eventually get blown into the downstream exhaust pipe and block the exhaust, then you'll feel power loss. In my case, I ordered a aftermarket universal cat and got it welded on by a shop around here.

hope this help.
slamck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 09:55 AM   #3
ychan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 2.5rs
aspen white

how is MRT about replacing these? of course if you're having a problem with it, i'm sure you don't want them replacing it. will it make strange sounds?
-y
Old 12-11-2002, 12:21 PM   #4
kickin_81
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 16679
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT

I have had the MRT system on my car since early July '02. I got the rattling a little after installation. It gradually goes away as the car warms up and stops rattling after 15 min. of driving. I checked the bolts, and they're pretty tight. Do you think that the cat was destroyed during shipment? First startup? Maybe the cat was welded the wrong way from MRT?

I don't have a sensative butt dyno, so I won't notice a slight power loss or if some chick slapped my butt. Is there anything we can do to check the cat besides using a hammer?
kickin_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 01:18 PM   #5
slamck
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1436
Vehicle:
'00 RS
'03 LLBean, '05 B4

One way to find out is to look inside the cat. I have a picture of my broken cat in this thread:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=133533
slamck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 08:17 PM   #6
ychan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 2.5rs
aspen white

thanks for the pic.
no, i had some weird noises down there the other day, but it wa just the front o2 sensor. somehow it came out.

i just wanted to do some research on it, since it'll probably end up happening. so what did you guys do? replace it? with what? what's MRT like about it? thanks.
-y