Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday May 30, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Vancouver Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-09-2000, 12:47 AM   #1
KEV
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 880
Vehicle:
1993 Honda Del Sol
Red

Exclamation Swirl Marks!

Was reading the STI mail and found quite a few people have paint chips and swirl marks on their cars. There was even an RS that had 2000kms and less than month old with the same problem. I have swirl marks all over and a few chip marks. My car is only 2 months old. Any of you guys have the same problem. I will write a letter of complaint
to Subaru of Canada like the rest of those guys from the STI mailing list.

Please give feedback. Thanks!!!
KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2000, 12:53 AM   #2
KEV
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 Honda Del Sol
Red

Just found the topic under general forum, topic is paint petition!
Old 03-09-2000, 02:51 PM   #3
Dave DD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 686
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
blue/black

I have also had my Impreza for 2 months,and I've got swirls all over the place as well.
I'd like to bring up another topic,i have recently had some bad luck with my car.As i stated above i've had my car for 2 months,during that period i got into an accident involving freezing rain and a Brinks truck,which i swerved to avoid bcs he was blocking both lanes of the hwy.Anyway you get the jist,what i'm getting to is my car has been in the collision centre for approx 3 months.Now the majority of the time it has been in there i've been waiting for parts.Needless to say i was getting a little pist off,i was told that they were having trouble getting parts for the 2000 RS.So what i did is write a letter to Subaru Ca.asking them what the problem was,i mean if they make the car they should be able to make the parts.I also asked for my warranty to be extended for the 3 months i was waiting for parts.I accually received a letter of apoligy from Subaru stating that they would like to do everything they can to uphold there reputation.On that note i am happy to say i'm picking my car up tomorrow,and i'm still missing the door trim for the inside of the back door,but it'll be in soom time next week,i figure i've waited long enough so i think i'll just go back for the part.Well now that i got that off my chest,has anyone else ran into similar problems? Dave...
Dave DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2000, 03:22 PM   #4
inzomniak
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 953
Yuppers, my car is two months old and I have so many paint chips it's not even funny...
Umm, swirls only after I wash the car
inzomniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2000, 05:54 PM   #5
Keiho
Sea to Sky - OWNED

Member#: 610
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2003 Lexus IS300
Graphite Gray Pearl

Yes...subaru paint really seems to be bad. I've got swirl marks too..had the car since late December. But just picked up Meguiar's 3 step detailing thing. I've yet to fully try it out yet, but it helps a bit to get rid of the swirls. Mind you, I still have them though.
Keiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2000, 06:01 PM   #6
rowdyrod

Member#:
Just so you know, the Impreza rs is built in Japan, as are all replacement parts. There still are`nt enough imprezas in NA to warrent a large parts inventory,this does suck, but things should improve as more cars get sold here. But then again, maybe not, with a NEW model comming soon,you guys might be forever screwed! Why bring in more parts than they already do for a car thats getting replaced? Boy, am I glad i`m waiting for the new car.
Old 03-09-2000, 08:20 PM   #7
Wrx31
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 994
Vehicle:
'99 Impreza RS/RBP
'88 RX-7 (resting)

My car too, has swirl marks all over it. While many argue whether it is cover under the warranty, I would like to point out that the most important issue here is to inform Subaru how poor quality their paint is. Hopefully, they will improve the quality in the future, or, if we are lucky enough, they might even offer us some kind of deal.

The parts.....I waited for three weeks for the passenger side weather clip, and man, I was pissed. I don't care where the part is made in, if their supply can't make the demand, they don't know how to make a customer happy.
So, I am with it. I am,too, writing to Subaru and letting them know the problem with the paint.
Wrx31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2000, 11:28 PM   #8
CM
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 367
Vehicle:
98 Impreza RS
(sold)

Angry

swirls and dings!!! argh
CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2000, 11:41 PM   #9
PiGi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 575
Vehicle:
1999 Impreza 2.5RS
Rally Blue Pearl

Parts!!
Tell u guys, my RS is 1 and half yrs old. When I just get my car, I found out my passenger side seatbelt had a big scrach. So I asked them to order a new one for me. However, till now my seatbelt is not changed yet!!! I wait for 1 and half yrs!!!

[This message has been edited by PiGi (edited March 09, 2000).]
PiGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2000, 12:18 AM   #10
inzomniak
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 953
Thumbs up

Yah, you might be happy that you are getting your new Turbo Impreza, but hey... I am 17, I don't really have a say in what car I get... and I doubt my parents would have gotten the WRX for me if it did come out in Canada ya know... lots of $$$
It's just the same reason why some people have the TS and some have the RS...
We ain't suckers, half of us can't afford to get it!
I am sure that when the Turbo comes out, there will be more people buying the RS than it
inzomniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2000, 08:35 AM   #11
rschwarzwalder
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 29
Vehicle:
2005 Baja
Satin White Pearl

Lightbulb

My car was plagued with swirls, even after getting it professionally detailed. If you want to get rid of most of them (all but the deepest) use 3M Hand Glaze, available at most paint stores (auto paint). Apply a very thin layer, then buff. Also gives the car a "wet look".
rschwarzwalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2000, 10:17 AM   #12
KEV
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 Honda Del Sol
Red

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by rschwarzwalder:
My car was plagued with swirls, even after getting it professionally detailed. If you want to get rid of most of them (all but the deepest) use 3M Hand Glaze, available at most paint stores (auto paint). Apply a very thin layer, then buff. Also gives the car a "wet look".
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely check it out.
Old 03-10-2000, 11:40 PM   #13
5 Zigen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 769
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
04 SoBaLo EsTea-ai
ZERO/SPORTS/99 GM6/05 BP6

yeah...and there is some sort of swirl remover in a store like Lordco or UAP Napa...just ask them for the swirl remover for body shop and the instruction is at the back....
i hope that will help most of you guys out...
yet...waxing is still recommanded every 4 months to half year if u want to get rid of the swirl...ppl who gets it once they got the car is probably they didn't get diamond coat or waxing before their car runs on the road?
also when u wash car...don't dry it hard ppl...just let it dry naturally (by wind)...
5 Zigen is offline   Reply With Quote