Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > STi Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2003, 10:46 PM   #1
18Wheeler
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 21413
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Great White North, eh?
Default how strong is the new 6-speed trans.?

will it be strong enough to withstand 6000rpm launches constantly?

will ppl think that since the new 6-speed is significantly stronger, ppl will start to launch the car at high rpm?


not that i will do this, im just wondering
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
18Wheeler is offline  
Old 01-07-2003, 10:50 PM   #2
Jon [in CT]
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 2992
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut, USA
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sedan
Silver

Default Re: how strong is the new 6-speed trans.?

Quote:
Originally posted by 18Wheeler
will it be strong enough to withstand 6000rpm launches constantly?
I doubt that anyone makes such a transmission.
Jon [in CT] is offline  
Old 01-08-2003, 02:15 AM   #3
QweQwe
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30791
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Southern Cali
Default

Then will it still have that launch lock so that people will be forced to slip the clutch??

I want to try dumping it a few times now and then!
QweQwe is offline  
Old 01-08-2003, 02:30 AM   #4
ANZAC_1915
Moderator
 
Member#: 456
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Redmond, WA, USA
Vehicle:
2008 Forester XT
Steel Gray Metallic

Default

Uhh, good for you.
ANZAC_1915 is offline  
Old 01-08-2003, 05:58 AM   #5
I ROBOT
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 6488
Join Date: May 2001
Vehicle:
rock on
mother****er

Default

I heard on good authority (cashier at pep boys) that is it "hella" strong
I ROBOT is offline  
Old 01-08-2003, 08:01 AM   #6
maxiter
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 11237
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by I ROBOT
I heard on good authority (cashier at pep boys) that is it "hella" strong
I was in to my area Subaru dealer last night. Tom, the manager, is a massive well of car information based on what I know.

He indicated that Subaru is using a *NEW* 6speed tranny on the STi. He said it'll be the same size as the 5speed cuz of space requirements.

Just some more speculation to throw out there for everybody.
maxiter is offline  
Old 01-08-2003, 09:13 AM   #7
briank
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3568
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Worcester, MA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX EcuTek
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by I ROBOT
I heard on good authority (cashier at pep boys) that is it "hella" strong
Dude, you forgot to add "noob" to the end of your message

I don't think clutch "drops" at the best way to get the best launch anyway. I've always gotten the best launches by slipping the clutch fairly quickly. clutch drops seem to bog the motor down too much.

-BrianK
briank is offline  
Old 01-08-2003, 09:52 AM   #8
thrdeye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24569
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: East Tennessee
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
SWP

Default

everybody's always crappin on the wrx tranny. I've had no problems. I can't wait to see the first "Did a 9,000 rpm clutch drop....grinding noise......any suggestions?" or "STi 6-speed is a piece" post.
thrdeye is offline  
Old 01-08-2003, 02:12 PM   #9
I ROBOT
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 6488
Join Date: May 2001
Vehicle:
rock on
mother****er

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by briank


Dude, you forgot to add "noob" to the end of your message


-BrianK
HA ha ha! Wait, I dont get it. jk he had it coming with such an inane question. if he had ever done anything to a subaru or know anything about subies from reading this website or seen an STi back seat (like rob shaws) he would piece it together etc etc. so hes a noob. not a fake noob, a real noob.

anyways i didnt know that it was a new speed... i dunno about that considering the considerable cost to FHI to design the existing one completely in house as opposed to farming it out as (i read somewhere) almost all other car companies did with their 6speeders. If they just designed this expensive 6speeder i dont know if they would change it to fit in smaller space... why is there different space req on the USDM? the extra 0.5 liter?
I ROBOT is offline  
Old 01-08-2003, 02:39 PM   #10
SJwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14970
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Jose, CA
Vehicle:
1997 GF8
multi

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by thrdeye
everybody's always crappin on the wrx tranny. I've had no problems. I can't wait to see the first "Did a 9,000 rpm clutch drop....grinding noise......any suggestions?" or "STi 6-speed is a piece" post.
Yep. It'll be same thing all over again. People think that anything STi is indistructable. It'll be stronger than the 5-speed, but IT IS ON AN AWD CAR!!!

I also on my 5-speed WRX tranny, I have had a total amount of 0, yes 0 problems!

Rich
SJwrx is offline  
Old 01-08-2003, 02:43 PM   #11
AKGC8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1305
Join Date: Apr 2000
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by I ROBOT


HA ha ha! Wait, I dont get it. jk he had it coming with such an inane question. if he had ever done anything to a subaru or know anything about subies from reading this website or seen an STi back seat (like rob shaws) he would piece it together etc etc. so hes a noob. not a fake noob, a real noob.

anyways i didnt know that it was a new speed... i dunno about that considering the considerable cost to FHI to design the existing one completely in house as opposed to farming it out as (i read somewhere) almost all other car companies did with their 6speeders. If they just designed this expensive 6speeder i dont know if they would change it to fit in smaller space... why is there different space req on the USDM? the extra 0.5 liter?
I think he was joking about the 6 speed being designed to the same size of the 5. That would make the 6 speed even weaker than the 5 from thinner gears.

noob
AKGC8 is offline  
Old 01-08-2003, 02:48 PM   #12
briank
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3568
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Worcester, MA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX EcuTek
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by I ROBOT


HA ha ha! Wait, I dont get it. jk he had it coming with such an inane question.
Yeah, I was trying to be funny. I wasn't calling *you( a noob, I had just noticed that you called someone else a "noob" in another thread for no apparent reason. So I thought you always called people noobs just to be weird and was pointing out you didn't do it this time.

In hind sight, my comment wasn't very clear though. Oh well

-BrianK
briank is offline  
Old 01-08-2003, 02:54 PM   #13
I ROBOT
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 6488
Join Date: May 2001
Vehicle:
rock on
mother****er

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by briank


Yeah, I was trying to be funny. I wasn't calling *you( a noob, I had just noticed that you called someone else a "noob" in another thread for no apparent reason. So I thought you always called people noobs just to be weird and was pointing out you didn't do it this time.

In hind sight, my comment wasn't very clear though. Oh well

-BrianK
HA ha sorry, I got it first time actually. I dont like using rolleyes to indicate sarcasm and stuff.

If he was kidding about smaller 6spd, then shame on him! Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice ill kick your arse!
I ROBOT is offline  
Old 01-08-2003, 02:58 PM   #14
Kha0S
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 8808
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Grantham, NH
Vehicle:
2011 WRX (DGM 5D)
2002 WRX/2003 SVTF

Default

and back on topic... my hunch is that people will blow the DCCD gearset before the main shift gears.

/Andrew
Kha0S is offline  
Old 01-08-2003, 03:06 PM   #15
alfriedesq
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6788
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Stamford, CT 06902
Vehicle:
2005 STI
10.9 @ 130

Default

From real experience - the 6 spd is good to handle 500 wheel HP - its very very strong and holds up t mega abuse

#2 - sont trust anything you hear at dealers - most of them are bust wiorking with legacy clinets all day

The US 6 spd will be the same 6 spd
alfriedesq is offline  
Old 01-08-2003, 03:36 PM   #16
monovich
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8124
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Denver, Colorado
Vehicle:
1998 Old Grey Mule
Regacy Rype R

Default

Quote:
most of them are bust wiorking with legacy clinets all day
[charlton heston] Stupid Legacy clients, Damn them! Damn them all to hell! [/charlton heston]
monovich is offline  
Old 01-08-2003, 03:43 PM   #17
AKGC8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1305
Join Date: Apr 2000
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by alfriedesq

#2 - sont trust anything you hear at dealers - most of them are bust wiorking with legacy clinets all day
sont trust anyone wiorking with clinets
AKGC8 is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How strong is the 6 speed sti tranny? Jeepman775 Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 25 03-21-2008 02:45 AM
how strong is the sti 6-speed tranny? Spazzua Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 9 06-15-2004 07:59 PM
How strong is the FWD 5-speed trans? B-85 Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 0 06-06-2004 07:54 PM
So how strong is the STi 6 speed tranny supposed to be? loanshark Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 7 10-26-2001 01:21 PM
how strong is the stock tranny subaru gc8 Normally Aspirated Powertrain 4 11-21-2000 02:42 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.