Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:22 AM   #1
FHI-07STI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 330938
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2007 STI
Steel

Default Code P0021 and a sticking AVCS Solenoid

I have an 07 STI with 93,000 miles on it and its all stock. A few days ago it started to run really rough at idle and the CEL came on. I took it into the dealer and it spit out a few codes a long with P0021. They took off and cleaned the AVCS Solenoid and did an engine flush. Since then the car has run fine and I have not had any problems. Despite this they want me to bring the car back in and have the AVCS Solenoid replaced. Since the car is now running fine and the engine was flushed and the solenoid was cleaned should I still have it replaced or since its running ok is it fine just to leave it how it is unless I develop more problems later on?

Thanks for any advice.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
FHI-07STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
FHI-07STI
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 STI
Steel

Well never mind I answered my own question and prob jinxed myself by posting this. I did the post right before leaving for work and I made it a few miles down the road and my CEL came back on and it started to run very rough when at a stop. I turned around and came back home and parked it.

I guess what I don't understand is why this solenoid is being so problematic, is this a common thing with subarus? The car is well maintained and not driven hard for what it is so I guess I'm just at a loss for why its become such a problem now.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

if you had the p0011 code along with the p0021...those are the engine death codes

prepare for a new motor

what oil have you been using in it????
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
FHI-07STI
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 STI
Steel

I did not have a P0011 code. Ive been using Mobil 1 since I got the car in 2010, it had mid 3X,XXX miles on it at that time.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHI-07STI View Post
I did not have a P0011 code. Ive been using Mobil 1 since I got the car in 2010, it had mid 3X,XXX miles on it at that time.
list ALL the codes in the order the appear on the code scanner

and "Mobil 1' is not specific...be specific
Old 04-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
FHI-07STI
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 STI
Steel

5W 30 for the Mobil 1 and I had it scanned at autozone first before going to the dealer and the same codes came up at both places. This is how they were listed to me from the guy who scanned it at autozone

137 showed up more then once

18 Showed up more then once

P0021

302 / 304 which were showing up b/c of P0021 and the engine not running correctly.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
5W 30 for the Mobil 1 and I had it scanned at autozone first before going to the dealer and the same codes came up at both places. This is how they were listed to me from the guy who scanned it at autozone

P0021

302 / 304 which were showing up b/c of P0021 and the engine not running correctly.

well...prepare for a rebuild....
Old 04-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
FHI-07STI
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 STI
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
well...prepare for a rebuild....
can you explain why?
Old 04-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:

P0021

Quote:
can you explain why?
see the bolded, above

and....keep doin research and have an extra $5k or so in ya pocket....ya almost certainly gonna need it
Old 04-06-2014, 12:50 AM   #10
FHI-07STI
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 STI
Steel

Thats what the dealer uses and thats what it says to use on the oil cap so I don't know what your getting at. My oil cap, the dealer, the owners manual and tons of other threads Ive read all use either 5W 30 or something similar to that. I dont see how you can argue what it says to use right on my oil cap. Now I remember why I dont come here often. And I dont need an extra 5K in my pocket the car is under warranty.

Last edited by FHI-07STI; 04-06-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:04 AM   #11
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
Thats what the dealer uses and thats what it says to use on the oil cap so I don't know what your getting at. My oil cap, the dealer, the owners manual and tons of other threads Ive read all use either 5W 30 or something similar to that. I dont see how you can argue what it says to use right on my oil cap. Now I remember why I dont come here often.

ok....so you are an idiot....we got that now.

hurry up and sell the car and get a bus pass.....ya cant blow the bus yer ridin by bein stupid about how its maintained

that p0021 code is virtually ALWAYS (using the wrong)oil related....and many of us KNOW that...

and good luck with yer warranty
Old 04-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #12
FHI-07STI
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 STI
Steel

Quote:
ok....so you are an idiot....we got that now.

hurry up and sell the car and get a bus pass.....ya cant blow the bus yer ridin by bein stupid about how its maintained

that p0021 code is virtually ALWAYS (using the wrong)oil related....and many of us KNOW that...

and good luck with yer warranty
I'm the idiot but your telling me that using the oil recommended from the manufacture and what the dealership has always used is going to cause me engine to require a rebuild..ya ok. It's not like I get my oil changed at prompto its always gone to dealerships so even if it was oil related and I needed a rebuild ya it would fall under the warranty I have through the dealership.

First you tell me its code P0011 along with code P0021 that raises suspicion of an engine issue ( according to you ) so I list the codes that my car spit out which did not include P0011 but now all of a sudden its still a death sentence lol. Does the sky fall for you everyday as well? The codes I listed Oxygen sensor codes, the crank position sensor code, code P0021 relating to the ACVS solenoid messing up and the 302 / 304 are engine misfire codes which did not even first show up at the dealership b/c when I first got there the engine was not running rough at idle so code P0021 and 302 / 304 did not show up when they scanned it, when I had it scanned at autozone the engine was running rough when at a stop so those 3 codes did show up. The replaced the Crank sensor and advised me of the oxygen sensor and sent me on my way. I came back a short time later b/c the engine started to run rough again at idle and the CEL came back on. I went back and this time is was running rough when I got there they took off the solenoid and cleaned it and flushed the engine and sent me on my way again and said I should come back to have the AVCS solenoid replaced b/c cleaning it is just a temporary fix. It lasted about 2 days and then started to act up again.

Any car they sell at this dealership new comes with a lifetime warranty as long as you own the car and any used car that is under 5 years old and under 50,000 miles when you buy it. Mines an 07 that I got from them in 2010 and with 3X,XXX miles on it and they have done the majority of the oil changes on the car other then a dealership at another location ( which both use the same oil ) but according to you ( b/c you know this situation so much better then I do considering I'm actually living it and your some random guy on the internet w/ a key board ) that the oil they have always used is causing my engine to need a rebuild and that would not fall under my warranty I have through them lol ok sure.

http://www.patriotsubaru.com/exclusi...ranty-info.htm

http://www.patriotsubaru.com/patriot...-pre-owned.htm

Last edited by FHI-07STI; 04-06-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:18 AM   #13
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

everybody.....knows that 5w30 mobil1 KILLS these engines

maybe YOU dont know this...but it IS VERY COMMON KNOWLEDGE AROUND HERE.

now...ive been a car guy for MANY years....and am an FAA licensed A&P mechanic and all that kinna ****

i have made tribology---look that one up....one of my hobbies for the last 10+ years

so, in the end....ya almost certainly gonna need a new motor if the avcs actuator isnt bad or the wiring or some other stupid **** like that

but...if you have that p0021 code THAT CAME BACK AFTER THE FLUSH....well.....that aint good

oh...and ive been reading these technical forums....virtually ALL of them... since march of 2002....and ive learned a LOT about these cars in that time

and THERE IS NO FORCE ON EARTH that would cause me to use 5w30 of any kind...and expecially M1....unless it was a REAL emergency.

now...i(and many others here) dont really give a rats ass what YOU or your dealer or anybody else thinks about what oil is right.

WE know what oil is WRONG and dont use it.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #14
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

OH...maybe yer oil pick up tube is cracked and its doing that....but you can only hope on that one

stop driving it until ya fugure it out....or ya may need more than just the shortblock
Old 04-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #15
SKSmash
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 383414
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Pumpkin

Look for a stuck open active valve control solenoid, or possibly a banjo bolt screen that may have stuck in the solenoid or a stuck intake camshaft gear. If the solenoid is working, unplug the solenoid and apply power and ground to the solenoid. With the engine running, keep applying power and ground and turn the variable timing on and off and see if suddenly the gear will return to 0 degrees at idle. If it does, then look for a sticking Variable Valve Timing.

The banjo bolt screen is a confirmed fix in a lot of cases on a p0021. Run only Mobil 1 5w30 during your factory warranty period. Soon as you lose your warranty go to a 5w40/0w40. Subaru will deny warranty claims if you don't have a 5w30 synthetic in there and they run a chemical test.

Last edited by SKSmash; 04-06-2014 at 11:39 AM.
SKSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:10 AM   #16
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSmash View Post
Look for a stuck open active valve control solenoid, or possibly a banjo bolt screen that may have stuck in the solenoid or a stuck intake camshaft gear. If the solenoid is working, unplug the solenoid and apply power and ground to the solenoid. With the engine running, keep applying power and ground and turn the variable timing on and off and see if suddenly the gear will return to 0 degrees at idle. If it does, then look for a sticking Variable Valve Timing.

The banjo bolt screen is a confirmed fix in a lot of cases on a p0021. Run only Mobil 1 5w30 during your factory warranty period. Soon as you lose your warranty go to a 5w40/0w40. Subaru will deny warranty claims if you don't have a 5w30 synthetic in there and they run a chemical test.
it isnt any factory warranty on an 07...and the rest of that is bull****....NEVER heard of ANY dealer doing ANY UOA to figure out what was used

in fact several dealers that i know of ENCOURAGE the use of 0w40 and 5w40 oils so they dont have to replace motors under warranty as often
Old 04-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #17
FHI-07STI
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 STI
Steel

Got the AVCS Solenoid replaced today, No CEL, No engine shaking, no present issues. Seems to have been the cause of my problem from the start.

If 5W30 Mobil 1 is so bad for these engines then why is it in the manual and on the oil cap and why is it what the dealership uses? And I dont mean just this dealership I mean all 3 in the surrounding area
Old 04-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
FHI-07STI
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 STI
Steel

Quote:
but...if you have that p0021 code THAT CAME BACK AFTER THE FLUSH....well.....that aint good

The Solenoid was sticking thats why it was sometimes running fine and other times the engine was running rough at idle, b/c some times it was sticking and other times it was not. When I started it this morning it was running fine just like it did when I left the dealer the first time. Since the Solenoid has been replaced I've had 0 issues.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #19
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

....but what was stuck in IT???

and WHY???

that is the issue......and has BEEN an issue
Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #20
FHI-07STI
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 STI
Steel

who cares there is now way to tell. So I should have my whole engine torn down now to see what could have been stuck in it? Could have been carbon or anything like that. Whatever it was its gone and the car runs fine.

Uncle Scotty posted so the sky's falling again. Your just disappointed bc my cars running fine and not the end of the world scenario you predicted. Also you have failed to produce any proof of anything you have said other then "look it up". Sure that supports your claims a ton. Ive used Mobil 1 for years in my Cobra which is drag raced often and recently had the engine torn down to install new cylinder heads and there was still cross hatching in the cylinder walls and ive never had issues w/ it and its run HARD, 5000 RPM clutch dumps off the line exc exc.. So until you provide some substantial proof of your claims then I just have to put it into the category of "It must be true b/c the internet told me so"

Last edited by FHI-07STI; 04-09-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #21
FHI-07STI
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 STI
Steel

Had another day of issue free problem free driving of my STI. Guess my engine is ready to blow ANY MINUTE NOW according to Uncle Scotty the internet oil expert.

Considering you were so off base on your expect analysis of what was going on with my car I'll throw a little advise your way as well. Please refrain from giving out advise about cars to anyone on the internet or in person. This would include Subarus, forigin demoistic and exotc type cars, please refrain from giving advise out on anything with 4 wheels regardless of brand make make or model. This would also extended to anything driven by two wheels such as motorcycles, cruiser , sport bikes and touring motorcycles and also including bicycles b/c apparently using the wrong type of oil to lube your bike chain will lead to catastrophic bicycle failure.

Do the internet a favor and please refrain from giving out your horrible and baseless advise with 0 backing behind it other then internet based rumors.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:52 AM   #22
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

...we'll see mr frodo...weeeee'lllll seeeeee....
Old 04-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #23
FHI-07STI
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 STI
Steel

Quote:
...we'll see mr frodo...weeeee'lllll seeeeee....
Yeah we will see, that your 100% Wrong. If the problem was caused by my oil it would still be causing an issue even with a new AVCS Solenoid in the car. Since I last posted Ive had 0 issues with the car and no CEL, so replacing that one part completely made my problem go away yet the problem is really my oil lol. I did for the sake of humoring myself look up oil issues with Mobil 1 5W30 and the only thing I found was threads on other sites talking about it b/c of crap you said here and everyone laughing at you b/c of it. Just like the salesman did who I bought the car from at the dealership ( who is a friend of mine that previously had on 05 STI with about 400 HP and now has a 2013 WRX) I mentioned all this to him when I was there getting the AVCS solenoid replaced and he just laughed, just like everyone else is.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #24
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

we'll see......just wait.....
Old 04-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #25
Buck Rogers