Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #1201
ParkerV
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 215039
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Luis Obispo
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza sedan
white

Default p0121

My car is throwing the code p0121 but the thing is that the cel comes on and sometimes it goes off. The car starts really shaky at least half the time but runs fine after start up. The motor is also not the original engine but another 2.2L was swapped in so it is the same type of motor. Any suggestions?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ParkerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #1202
siny66
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 290082
Join Date: Aug 2011
Default

I have a 2011 wrx sedan completely stock except for catback, driving on freeway doing about 65 when check engine light traction light with blinking cruise light came on. Will be going to dealer today, just wondering has this happen to a lot of u seems like its an issue with our cars?
siny66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #1203
Ender_in_Exile
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332485
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

I took my car to auto zone and got the free scan yesterday. I got the code P0483. After I knew it was a problem with the cooling system, I checked my coolant overflow tank and it was empty. I refilled it and turned the car back on and let it run. The fans kicked on at about 200 degrees. (I don't have my own scanner) And they both turn on whenever the AC is on. When the fans finally turned on by themselves, I noticed my coolant overflow tank was leaking from the vent hole. I've read about 20 different similar stories pertaining to this code specifically but every car is different and I'm not that great with cars. I'd like to change that. Any ideas?
Ender_in_Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #1204
Ender_in_Exile
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332485
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

I forgot to add that I have a 2005 STi. Stock.
Ender_in_Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #1205
Luc r
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332784
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
06 wrx, fp green
sgm

Default

Need help. Just bought an 06 wrx and it threw a code this morning
P2096 post catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank 1

Probable causes
Lean air fuel ratio-low fuel pressure
Cylinder misfire
Plugged converter
Failed heated oxygen sensor

should I take it to subaru or is this something I can fix and is it okay to be driving around like this
Luc r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #1206
Luc r
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332784
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
06 wrx, fp green
sgm

Default

I can get a list of mods if needed
Luc r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #1207
jshutterbug
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 329660
Join Date: Aug 2012
Default P0304 throwing P0420 code?

Could a P0304 code be throwing a P0420 code? I don't think I've seen the P0420 code on my car by itself. It's usually paired with a P0304 code or just a P0304 code by itself. Thoughts?
jshutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #1208
02OutbackJones
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331623
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Vehicle:
2002 OB Impreza Sprt
Silver

Default

Where's the 'Sticky" note on HOW TO READ/PULL THE CEL CODES????
Tried the Search and all I got was a bunch of "Car threw P90xxx code" etc. etc. I just wanna know HOW to even get on base here.
'02 2.5 Impreza....
Thanks
02OutbackJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #1209
1 Lucky Texan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 46320
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Outoftheblue&intotheblack
Vehicle:
06 WRX Sportwagon
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02OutbackJones View Post
Where's the 'Sticky" note on HOW TO READ/PULL THE CEL CODES????
Tried the Search and all I got was a bunch of "Car threw P90xxx code" etc. etc. I just wanna know HOW to even get on base here.
'02 2.5 Impreza....
Thanks
you have a lot of choices nowadays. I use an old Innova 3100a, there are cheaper OBDII readers maybe $30 or so, and there are bluetooth and cabled-connection solutions for laptops and smartphones, or just swing by an O'Reilly's or similar - most of them will read codes for you.
1 Lucky Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #1210
aazracing
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295340
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2004 IMPREZA
Java Black Pearl

Default

Car: 2004 Impreza WRX
Milage: 97,000
Code:P0244 Wastegate control solenoid valve malfunction (high input)
Mods: Tenabe divorced catless DP, Crawford gymkhana CBE, perrin CAI, Grimspeed wastegate bracket, Ultimate racing catless up pipe with tial 38mm EWG.

I was going to Laramie, Wyoming from Denver, Colorado. I was about 20 miles out of Laramie and I went to pass a car. I was in 4th gear and at 3500 rpm, the engine stumbled for about a half a second. Got around the car and did another pull, and same thing. Noticed the code and went to Advance Auto and used a code reader and came up with the p0244 code. The next day when I was heading back to Denver, I went to pass a car in 4th again, and same thing happened. So on my way home, I gave all gears a pull and it only happened in 4th. After about 30 miles out of Laramie, I tried the pull again and it didn't happen, I haven't got it to happen since right out of Laramie. Not sure what the true fix for it is but any help would be greatly appreciated.
aazracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #1211
02OutbackJones
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331623
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Vehicle:
2002 OB Impreza Sprt
Silver

Default CEL On. Now Off.

Code: Defintion: P0420
Year/Make/Model: '02 Impreza Outback Wagon Sport
Mileage: 113,378
Fix for problem:

Code came after using two tanks of cheap gas. Changed gas stations and added a bottle of fuel system cleaner. About half a tank later code has cleared and has not returned...Hoping that it was just the crappy gas.
02OutbackJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #1212
Paincake
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293300
Join Date: Sep 2011
Default

2008 WRX
41,000 miles
misfires in cylinders 1,2,3, and 4 also bank 1 running lean.
no dealership trip yet because i live in BFE Louisiana and the closest dealership is forever away.
Took it to the shop i usually go to and changed out the O2 sensor, light went off for 2 days. Came back on this morning. The lights have been coming on since i put the new clutch in. FX300. Other mods to the car are Tsudo down pipe (catless) Invidia N1 down pipe back exhaust (catless) Perrin CAI, Perrin BOV. Pro tuned by AMS.
At first i was thinking the problem was my fuel injectors but i was assured by a subaru guru friend of mine that it wasnt and to change out the O2. Others have told me its my fuel pressure regulator but at the shop everything prety much checks out. Car idles a little rough but drives just fine. Sometimes they will just go off on their own. its not just the CEL everything goes off. My cruise control starts flashing, the CEL, the traction control it all just goes haywire. Could it be a wiring problem caused by taking off the heat shield when i put on the down pipe?
Paincake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:27 AM   #1213
hotshot2109
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 94785
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Turboville NY
Vehicle:
04 WRX STi
WRB

Default

Cant track down the cause of my p0447 "emission control vent open" cel code in my 02 wrx w/170k. Smoke tested with no leaks, replaced both right rear emissions solenoids from my 04 STi. The next person that tells me to check my gas cap is getting bitch slapped... also didn't see any bad wiring. Cel comes on shortly after cleared and car turned back on. If cleared and rescanned without starting the car no cel is present. Meaning it's not a short I assume.
hotshot2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #1214
keith m
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 68265
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: mechanicsville
Vehicle:
2003 wrx
rally blue

Default

Check the wires back on I think it's ur charcoal canister that's just behind the right side of the rear Nebraska and see if they have been cut
keith m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #1215
Spazz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 128920
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Clarksville Tennessee
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
Metallic Gray

Default

Code: p2444 secondary air injection system pump stuck on bank1
p2431 secondary air injection system air flow/pressure sensor circuit range/performance bank 1
p2432 secondary air injection system air flow/pressure sensor circuit low bank1
p1410
p0410 secondary air injection system
Year/Make/Model 2007 Subaru WRX
Mileage: 101010
Fix for problem: No idea

Only mod done to the car is 3" turbo back exhaust no cat. Not sure if this is because of that or air pump is bad.
Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #1216
XLR8T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 266684
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender_in_Exile View Post
I took my car to auto zone and got the free scan yesterday. I got the code P0483. After I knew it was a problem with the cooling system, I checked my coolant overflow tank and it was empty. I refilled it and turned the car back on and let it run. The fans kicked on at about 200 degrees. (I don't have my own scanner) And they both turn on whenever the AC is on. When the fans finally turned on by themselves, I noticed my coolant overflow tank was leaking from the vent hole. I've read about 20 different similar stories pertaining to this code specifically but every car is different and I'm not that great with cars. I'd like to change that. Any ideas?
Try waiting until the car is cool and filling it by the radiator cap directly... sounds like an air pocket in the coolant system to me...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc r View Post
Need help. Just bought an 06 wrx and it threw a code this morning
P2096 post catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank 1

Probable causes
Lean air fuel ratio-low fuel pressure
Cylinder misfire
Plugged converter
Failed heated oxygen sensor

should I take it to subaru or is this something I can fix and is it okay to be driving around like this
If your fuel trims are maxed out because your running too lean, that could be asking for trouble when your in boost. the description sounds like its too rich, which is likely caused by something. Try cleaning your MAF maybe?
Id take it in for an assessment, 100 bucks is worth finding out the problem. I wouldn't be paying them if they cant help you find the issue...


Quote:
Originally Posted by jshutterbug View Post
Could a P0304 code be throwing a P0420 code? I don't think I've seen the P0420 code on my car by itself. It's usually paired with a P0304 code or just a P0304 code by itself. Thoughts?
It shouldn't but its possible. Your going to get amounts of unburned air and fuel passing through the exhaust that your Catalytic converter may not be able to function with. I could see this happening for sure. Get your misfire issue fixed and go from there!


Quote:
Originally Posted by aazracing View Post
Car: 2004 Impreza WRX
Milage: 97,000
Code:P0244 Wastegate control solenoid valve malfunction (high input)
Mods: Tenabe divorced catless DP, Crawford gymkhana CBE, perrin CAI, Grimspeed wastegate bracket, Ultimate racing catless up pipe with tial 38mm EWG.

I was going to Laramie, Wyoming from Denver, Colorado. I was about 20 miles out of Laramie and I went to pass a car. I was in 4th gear and at 3500 rpm, the engine stumbled for about a half a second. Got around the car and did another pull, and same thing. Noticed the code and went to Advance Auto and used a code reader and came up with the p0244 code. The next day when I was heading back to Denver, I went to pass a car in 4th again, and same thing happened. So on my way home, I gave all gears a pull and it only happened in 4th. After about 30 miles out of Laramie, I tried the pull again and it didn't happen, I haven't got it to happen since right out of Laramie. Not sure what the true fix for it is but any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'd check your lines going to your boost controller.
It would most likely be the solenoid, the boost controller or something in between.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Paincake View Post
2008 WRX
41,000 miles
misfires in cylinders 1,2,3, and 4 also bank 1 running lean.
no dealership trip yet because i live in BFE Louisiana and the closest dealership is forever away.
Took it to the shop i usually go to and changed out the O2 sensor, light went off for 2 days. Came back on this morning. The lights have been coming on since i put the new clutch in. FX300. Other mods to the car are Tsudo down pipe (catless) Invidia N1 down pipe back exhaust (catless) Perrin CAI, Perrin BOV. Pro tuned by AMS.
At first i was thinking the problem was my fuel injectors but i was assured by a subaru guru friend of mine that it wasnt and to change out the O2. Others have told me its my fuel pressure regulator but at the shop everything prety much checks out. Car idles a little rough but drives just fine. Sometimes they will just go off on their own. its not just the CEL everything goes off. My cruise control starts flashing, the CEL, the traction control it all just goes haywire. Could it be a wiring problem caused by taking off the heat shield when i put on the down pipe?
Electronic devices that draw quick bursts of high electricity levels failing together all of the sudden, I'd be checking all of my grounds. Twice. lol



Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazz View Post
Code: p2444 secondary air injection system pump stuck on bank1
p2431 secondary air injection system air flow/pressure sensor circuit range/performance bank 1
p2432 secondary air injection system air flow/pressure sensor circuit low bank1
p1410
p0410 secondary air injection system
Year/Make/Model 2007 Subaru WRX
Mileage: 101010
Fix for problem: No idea

Only mod done to the car is 3" turbo back exhaust no cat. Not sure if this is because of that or air pump is bad.
These codes are all related to the air injection system.... there is a mod to remove this whole system that I plan on doing next spring. People that have done so have come across no major reported issues that I've found...
XLR8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #1217
1 Lucky Texan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 46320
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Outoftheblue&intotheblack
Vehicle:
06 WRX Sportwagon
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazz View Post
Code: p2444 secondary air injection system pump stuck on bank1
p2431 secondary air injection system air flow/pressure sensor circuit range/performance bank 1
p2432 secondary air injection system air flow/pressure sensor circuit low bank1
p1410
p0410 secondary air injection system
Year/Make/Model 2007 Subaru WRX
Mileage: 101010
Fix for problem: No idea

Only mod done to the car is 3" turbo back exhaust no cat. Not sure if this is because of that or air pump is bad.

read here; http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1209260
1 Lucky Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #1218
mw1484
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239546
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX TP Stg2+AEM
Spark Silver Sedan

Default

I'm getting the following and it won't let me reset the codes





Any idea how to get rid of? 2011 WRX sedan with 15k

EDIT: It's also a pain in the as$ because it won't let me use cruise control, and wont let me turn on/of traction control, while the CEL stays on...drives me nuts!

Last edited by mw1484; 11-21-2012 at 02:16 PM.
mw1484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #1219
XLR8T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 266684
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1484 View Post
I'm getting the following and it won't let me reset the codes





Any idea how to get rid of? 2011 WRX sedan with 15k

EDIT: It's also a pain in the as$ because it won't let me use cruise control, and wont let me turn on/of traction control, while the CEL stays on...drives me nuts!
Check the connection pn your maf sensor and follow the wire harness back to the firewall to make sure it hasnt been ripped off or melted. have you had your car in for work somewhere recently? Those 2 sensors are in the same part up by your intake. I got those codes when I took the airbox off and forgot to plug the Maf sensor back in....

BTW, Maf and intake air temp are critical information for the ecu. Beat on your car like it is and there's probably a good chance it will need to be towed home for an engine replacement...
XLR8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #1220
mw1484
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239546
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX TP Stg2+AEM
Spark Silver Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8T View Post
Check the connection pn your maf sensor and follow the wire harness back to the firewall to make sure it hasnt been ripped off or melted. have you had your car in for work somewhere recently? Those 2 sensors are in the same part up by your intake. I got those codes when I took the airbox off and forgot to plug the Maf sensor back in....

BTW, Maf and intake air temp are critical information for the ecu. Beat on your car like it is and there's probably a good chance it will need to be towed home for an engine replacement...
Thank you for the quick response. Yes, I did take it in to a shop recently for some work. It was for wiring some LED DRL's and then replacing the signals with switchback LED's, I bet you that your right. Thanks again, really appreciate it.
mw1484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #1221
XLR8T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 266684
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1484 View Post
Thank you for the quick response. Yes, I did take it in to a shop recently for some work. It was for wiring some LED DRL's and then replacing the signals with switchback LED's, I bet you that your right. Thanks again, really appreciate it.
If they spliced your Maf or iat wires to get power for lights, smack whoever touched your car, take it elsewhere to be done right. My guess is they removed the air box to run new wiring alongside the car's current wiring harness and forgot to plug it back in. If that's the case, nag them for 5 bucks off every time you go back.... Lmao
XLR8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #1222
mw1484
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239546
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX TP Stg2+AEM
Spark Silver Sedan

Default

HA, you were correct sir - problem fixed! thanks again for the support.
mw1484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #1223
ace88bull
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 274355
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default

Code: P0172 System too rich, bank 1 and P0031 HO2S Heater control circuit low (bank 1 sensor 1)
2003/Subaru/WRX
Mileage: 145,000
Mods: Helix 3" downpipe, catless borla exhaust, Spectre cold air intake, Cobb AP stage 2 91 v300 map

Hey everybody, I've done a lot of reading on these codes. Sounds like the primary culprit could be the O2 sensor on the header behind the passenger wheel. However, since I also got the system too rich code I wanted to be sure that replacing or cleaning that sensor won't only be a temporary fix. I would like whatever work I do to be the end of it. As far as I can tell no work was done before the CEL came on. It seems to run fine most of the time. The only issues I've noticed are on occasion it seems to miss when accelerating. Most noticeably in 3rd gear. Also, when the engine is warm and I've been doing a lot of city driving the idle will steadily creep up when in neutral. Normally its at 500 rpm but can idle at close to 2000rpms. Not sure if thats related or a completely different issue. Anyway, any help or suggestions would be great! I'd like to do the work myself if possible so keep that in mind as well. Thanks in advance for any help!
ace88bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #1224
XLR8T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 266684
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace88bull View Post
Code: P0172 System too rich, bank 1 and P0031 HO2S Heater control circuit low (bank 1 sensor 1)
2003/Subaru/WRX
Mileage: 145,000
Mods: Helix 3" downpipe, catless borla exhaust, Spectre cold air intake, Cobb AP stage 2 91 v300 map

Hey everybody, I've done a lot of reading on these codes. Sounds like the primary culprit could be the O2 sensor on the header behind the passenger wheel. However, since I also got the system too rich code I wanted to be sure that replacing or cleaning that sensor won't only be a temporary fix. I would like whatever work I do to be the end of it. As far as I can tell no work was done before the CEL came on. It seems to run fine most of the time. The only issues I've noticed are on occasion it seems to miss when accelerating. Most noticeably in 3rd gear. Also, when the engine is warm and I've been doing a lot of city driving the idle will steadily creep up when in neutral. Normally its at 500 rpm but can idle at close to 2000rpms. Not sure if thats related or a completely different issue. Anyway, any help or suggestions would be great! I'd like to do the work myself if possible so keep that in mind as well. Thanks in advance for any help!

Try changing out the o2 sensor. If that's the issue, great. If not, in my eyes, your car will be going by a new sensors reading not one that's 10 years old.
The symptoms you are explaining are common to any oxygen sensor codes because the ecu is running in limp mode - it has no way to ensure the Maf is in the right ballpark. you can find one for under 200 online. Pm me if you want details where I buy my stuff.

If your problem continues check over your wiring, and if that all checks out find someone that well let you try their ecu!
XLR8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #1225
pufdup
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243441
Join Date: Apr 2010
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx

Default

P0011 camshaft timing over advanced. Not sure why.
pufdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Subaru 360 Thread SIL01 Member's Car Gallery 29 09-19-2006 09:21 PM
Subaru impreza CEL thread dominiond Service & Maintenance 3 04-25-2004 01:00 AM
The Subaru Upscale Thread SUBE555 News & Rumors 46 10-18-2003 09:16 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.