Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-02-2001, 03:53 PM   #1
impretzel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3173
Vehicle:
01 RS CPE
STM

Question Does any mufflers for JPN spec impreza fit the RS?

I think it does, because I see people put scoobysports on theirs, but I'm wondering. Also will I be able to put a 2.25" mid pipe on these as well? I'm going to Japan soon, and am looking for a muffler. I saw brands like BLITZ, RSR, etc. Also, is it possible to stick any kind of muffler into a car? I know it's stupid, but will I be able to put like lets say a GT-R muffler on a RS? Thanx
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
impretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 11:48 PM   #2
doripreza
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 574
Vehicle:
99 Impreza RS
Black

No they don't quite fit.. it can easily be tweaked though..

the flange that bolts to the cat is rotated off by about 8-15 degrees.. and the muffler itself sits too far back(underneath the US bumper because US bumpers stick out farther than JDM ones by about 2-3 inches)

so the hangers for the muffler have to be adjusted a bit..

i gathered this experience when installing an JDM 5zigen turbo exhaust.. i know people running apex / etc.. i haven't heard of any complaints... those things are easy to change anyway.. even if you did rotate the flange its about an inch too big for an N/A CAT...

good luck
and enjoy the fine japanese school girls...
doripreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 09:25 PM   #3
impretzel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
01 RS CPE
STM

Well, I found the exhaust I want. It is a brand called J-speed here in Japan and it is their NA WRC muffler. It comes with its own mid pipe of diameter 60mm (about 2.25in). Since it comes with its own mid pipe, will I need any more modifications? I need help quick, cause Im leaving Japan soon.
Old 04-19-2001, 07:53 AM   #4
omahasubaru
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1594
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2002 Legacy

I would think that if you get an exhaust for and GC8 model Impreza it would fit. Our US RS bumpers are version 2-4 Impreza's so it isn't like they are only US. exhaust points are the same. I infact have an STi version 5/6 exhaust with a 2.25" midpipe that fits perfect. Only modification needed is if the diameter of the exhaust is bigger, unless you upgrade the midpipe.
2.25" midpipe will bolt right up to the stock US cat and as long as the muffler bolts to the midpipe you will be fine.

Go for it, as new exhausts that no-one or few people have is the cool way to go. Different is Great!

just my $0.02

Jon
omahasubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 10:28 AM   #5
Keiho
Sea to Sky - OWNED

Member#: 610
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2003 Lexus IS300
Graphite Gray Pearl

If you get the full exhaust it might not fit as I recall someone said the exhausts on the WRX and our RS are different? Something about the WRX having one less cat or something.

That said, I've got a Blitz NurSpec, and afaik, it was a straight bolt on. They did have to rotate the midpipe a bit, but other than that it fits like a dream.
Keiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 07:47 PM   #6
impretzel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
01 RS CPE
STM

How would I go about rotating the mid pipe? Can I go to any auto shop to have them do it? Would I need to get a different mid pipe, since it would be rotated? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-2001, 12:30 AM   #7
omahasubaru
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1594
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2002 Legacy

Obviously a full exhaust wouldn't fit... theres this thing called a up-pipe.
Now as far as any cat-back exhaust... you should have no problems (guessing that is what you specifically meant).

Good luck in your crusaid and I want a full review with pics when you've got it on.

Thanks,

Jon
omahasubaru is offline   Reply With Quote