Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Southern California Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2003, 06:37 PM   #1
halftendril
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 27802
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2000 impreza 2.5rst
White

Default Any good places to go for a wrx engine swap in so-cal?

what are the shops that are doing these swaps in the southern california region
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
halftendril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 06:39 PM   #2
US2JDM
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5893
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Fairport, NY
Vehicle:
1997 Black GC4
1995 White BK6

Default

better go some place where they know electrical....there's a lotta wiring involved.
US2JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 07:45 PM   #3
totoherbs
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7321
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: waltham, ma
Vehicle:
.... 122 IggPoints
Work... ahhh... so tired.

Default

http://www.i-speedusa.com/home/

Theres a lot of good places this one seems to be the best.
totoherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:07 PM   #4
SonicYellowWRX
Guest
 
Member#: 23351
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: i <3 drifting
Vehicle:
Pika Chu!
TEAM DARRIIFFFTAA

Default

i-speed isnt exactly so cal. its in the bay area... so yeah...
SonicYellowWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:29 PM   #5
boysetsfire
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6218
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Agoura, California
Vehicle:
2001 2.5rs-t
silverthorn metallic

Default

im sure steve at suby specialties could do it but im pretty sure i-speed has probably done the most swaps in california.( thats not a fact just an assumption from reading on this board)
boysetsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:51 PM   #6
SonicYellowWRX
Guest
 
Member#: 23351
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: i <3 drifting
Vehicle:
Pika Chu!
TEAM DARRIIFFFTAA

Default

well this mechanic by my house has done at least 1 subaru engine swap... he usually does trucks and muscle cars, but the subaru engine swap was nothing. he's a good mechanic, but apparantly subaru engine swaps arent too difficult. SO... I am sure Suby Specialties is capable of doing the job and there is really no reason to go all the way to the bay area for a swap. (also try the british guy's shop in costa mesa)
SonicYellowWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 09:00 PM   #7
US2JDM
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5893
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Fairport, NY
Vehicle:
1997 Black GC4
1995 White BK6

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by SonicYellowWRX
well this mechanic by my house has done at least 1 subaru engine swap... he usually does trucks and muscle cars, but the subaru engine swap was nothing. he's a good mechanic, but apparantly subaru engine swaps arent too difficult. SO... I am sure Suby Specialties is capable of doing the job and there is really no reason to go all the way to the bay area for a swap. (also try the british guy's shop in costa mesa)
b4 you listen to daaaaaaarrrrrrrriiiiiiiiffffffffttttttttttaaaaaaaa boy here, please read the FAQ Threads in this post: LINK

EJ20 swaps are pretty involved...you may want to print the info out and take it to a shop beforehand to see if they can handle it...if not, drive up to I-Speed and get it done right.
US2JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 12:14 AM   #8
christoph1371
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1090
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: CA
Default

We have had SC people want to come up here and do the swap. Somehow they keep getting convinced not to have us do it. I have no idea why...
Anyway, I tell them to drive up here, fly back wait two weeks, fly back up here and then drive back home.
It takes me 6.5 hours to get from san fran to Marina del rey and about 40 bux in gas.
Airfare is about 100 bux roundtrip
here is the breakdown in cost AND power for conversions and RS-T cars,
http://www.i-speedusa.com/motor/wrx_conv.pdf
http://www.i-speedusa.com/motor/rs-t_conv.pdf

Feel free to email me with more questions

Chris
cescamilla@i-speedusa.com
christoph1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:17 AM   #9
SonicYellowWRX
Guest
 
Member#: 23351
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: i <3 drifting
Vehicle:
Pika Chu!
TEAM DARRIIFFFTAA

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by US2JDM


b4 you listen to daaaaaaarrrrrrrriiiiiiiiffffffffttttttttttaaaaaaaa boy here, please read the FAQ Threads in this post: LINK

EJ20 swaps are pretty involved...you may want to print the info out and take it to a shop beforehand to see if they can handle it...if not, drive up to I-Speed and get it done right.
wow, all you need are the correct parts, sounds so hard to me. keep in mind that these cars arent ferrari's and what-not... its not a hard car to service! if it were, it'd be a NIGHTMARE for the rally teams!

with that said, i apologize for recommending a highly qualified local shop that has Subaru in its name to work on your Subaru. Go ahead, spend lots of time and money and go to i-speed for all your needs.

regards.
SonicYellowWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:35 AM   #10
US2JDM
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5893
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Fairport, NY
Vehicle:
1997 Black GC4
1995 White BK6

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by SonicYellowWRX


wow, all you need are the correct parts, sounds so hard to me. keep in mind that these cars arent ferrari's and what-not... its not a hard car to service! if it were, it'd be a NIGHTMARE for the rally teams!

with that said, i apologize for recommending a highly qualified local shop that has Subaru in its name to work on your Subaru. Go ahead, spend lots of time and money and go to i-speed for all your needs.

regards.
you don't seem to understand how much WIRING is involved...you simply cannot get 'all the correct parts' since a hybrid wiring harness must be fabricated...do not speak of things you obviously know little about.
US2JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 03:36 AM   #11
christoph1371
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1090
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: CA
Default

A lot of people think it's an easy project. I have had calls from all over the country and people are all stuck on the same part....the wiring.
A Lot of the same people threaten me because they think I hold out on info. I tell them all the same things...buy the manuals and you figure it out...that's what we did.
So far...I only know of 2 people in the US that have actually taken the time and effort to learn all the wiring and neither of those people are in CA.

Sure it can be done easier with an aftermarket ECM, or with a JDM, but I live here in CA and have to deal with too much smog BS. We do it right the first time and never have to worry about it again.

Chris
christoph1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 03:37 AM   #12
US2JDM
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5893
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Fairport, NY
Vehicle:
1997 Black GC4
1995 White BK6

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by christoph1371
A lot of people think it's an easy project. I have had calls from all over the country and people are all stuck on the same part....the wiring.
A Lot of the same people threaten me because they think I hold out on info. I tell them all the same things...buy the manuals and you figure it out...that's what we did.
So far...I only know of 2 people in the US that have actually taken the time and effort to learn all the wiring and neither of those people are in CA.

Sure it can be done easier with an aftermarket ECM, or with a JDM, but I live here in CA and have to deal with too much smog BS. We do it right the first time and never have to worry about it again.

Chris
Amen!
US2JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 04:02 AM   #13
mattjk
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16615
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Huntington Beach
Vehicle:
I ♥ my TE51
2009 Nissan 370z

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by US2JDM


Amen!
Whoa! Too much Boba make teh brown man friskay!

- John
mattjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 04:04 AM   #14
G-force
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14104
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
UBER ILikeItLongAndH
ardDeepandSmoothEverSoCoo

Default

Sexy™
G-force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 04:33 AM   #15
US2JDM
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5893
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Fairport, NY
Vehicle:
1997 Black GC4
1995 White BK6

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mattjk


Whoa! Too much Boba make teh brown man friskay!

- John
Did mattjustkidding forget to logout on a public computer of something?...who the :monkey: are all these clowns?
US2JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 04:38 AM   #16
mattjk
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16615
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Huntington Beach
Vehicle:
I ♥ my TE51
2009 Nissan 370z

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by US2JDM


Did mattjustkidding forget to logout on a public computer of something?...who the :monkey: are all these clowns?
I dunno!!!

- milan
mattjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 04:40 AM   #17
US2JDM
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5893
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Fairport, NY
Vehicle:
1997 Black GC4
1995 White BK6

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mattjk


I dunno!!!

- milan
That was me! LOL ^_^
US2JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 04:43 AM   #18
mattjk
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16615
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Huntington Beach
Vehicle:
I ♥ my TE51
2009 Nissan 370z

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by US2JDM


That was me! LOL ^_^
KE KE KE!!!!

- Andrew
mattjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 07:24 AM   #19
US2JDM
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5893
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Fairport, NY
Vehicle:
1997 Black GC4
1995 White BK6

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mattjk


KE KE KE!!!!

- Andrew
Shut up, Andy!

n00b!
US2JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 05:29 PM   #20
KINGSKY
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31154
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SUNNYDIEGO 619
Vehicle:
0/02 GC/BUGeye
WHITE/black

Default

don't take it to SXPi...... it's been over 6 months now and still nothing. my car is just collecting dust, grease, oil, and dirt. there is so much dirt in and out that potatos started to grow. it can't be good for the paint nor the leather..........
what would you guys do if you were in my shoes? i should have never took my car there, should have taken it to i-speed.
KINGSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 06:51 PM   #21
monovich
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8124
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Denver, Colorado
Vehicle:
1998 Old Grey Mule
Regacy Rype R

Default

wow, that sucks. Are they stuck or something or are they waiting for parts?

-S
monovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 07:01 PM   #22
tom@kartboy
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 67
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego, CA
Vehicle:
1999 Outlasting
the competition.

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by KINGSKY
don't take it to SXPi...... it's been over 6 months now and still nothing. my car is just collecting dust, grease, oil, and dirt. there is so much dirt in and out that potatos started to grow. it can't be good for the paint nor the leather..........
what would you guys do if you were in my shoes? i should have never took my car there, should have taken it to i-speed.
wholy crap! thats almost as long as shiv had my RS

i recomend the guys up north
i talked with the guys last year at sears point and saw the car up close. if i were to boost another RS i'd just have these guys do it and be done with it!

tom@kartboy.com
tom@kartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 07:56 PM   #23
halftendril
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 27802
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2000 impreza 2.5rst
White

Default

wow they have had your car for six months that really sucks good to know, i was thinking about going there since i live in san diego but not if there going to keep it for six months, thanx for the info.
halftendril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 08:15 PM   #24
akcel
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10268
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
gc8 I ride ride 24s
with the top down low.

Default

yeah sad to say i knew it wasnt going to be done anytime soon goob....they talk like its nothing but they have yet to complete a single swap...i denno :P
akcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 08:17 PM   #25
SC WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 15258
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2012 Non-Subaru

Default

I think they are still waiting for the STi uppipe.
SC WRX is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any good place to go hang out with other singles in the NE 'burbs of Chi-town? Depeche Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 21 07-29-2008 01:14 AM
any good places to go for tea in the valley? AltronX Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 2 06-12-2008 12:15 AM
good place to go for tint in central houston? jmott Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 11 08-24-2005 05:58 PM
Good place to go for maintenance? shinta-wrx- Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 14 08-18-2004 03:58 AM
Where is a good place to go for Christmas? sandy lam Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 3 12-18-2000 01:34 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.