Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-23-2003, 02:45 PM   #1
bobbyT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 27672
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon

Default Whine when tires break loose

I notice a reproducible high pitched whine, like a loud electric fuel pump motor sound, when I am in a corner and all 4 tires break loose under power. I have no idea what this is. It seems to be coming from the left front area. I considered some brake system to control the wheel spin, or a turbo de-powering system of some sort.

Anyone else heard this noise or know what it is?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bobbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 06:27 PM   #2
Stanley
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7374
Vehicle:
2007 Grandpamobile
BlingBlingBlue

Default Re: Whine when tires break loose

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbyT
I notice a reproducible high pitched whine, like a loud electric fuel pump motor sound, when I am in a corner and all 4 tires break loose under power. I have no idea what this is. It seems to be coming from the left front area. I considered some brake system to control the wheel spin, or a turbo de-powering system of some sort.

Anyone else heard this noise or know what it is?
That turbo de-powering system should have come stock on your right leg's balance/motor skill package. Did you by-pass the circuit or something?

I've never heard this noise, but the only time I've broken all four wheels loose has been in the rain or on snow/ice. The front differential on our cars is open, so if this is happening on a left turn you may be spinning the uneweighted front tire.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:02 AM   #3
bobbyT
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon

Huh. I guess I never thought of letting up with my right leg/foot when all the tires start to spin....

But seriously now, strangely enough I think the noise is only when I am turning right in a hard turn with all the tires screaming for grip. I have the stock tires, so it is not too hard to break them all loose and slide along. It is a very well defined noise, kind of like the noise on an airplane if you are sitting next to the wings when they are putting the flaps in after takeoff or out before landing. Whrrrrrrrrrrr. Starts once the tires break loose, and stops before they regain grip. Weird.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:13 PM   #4
Stanley
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7374
Vehicle:
2007 Grandpamobile
BlingBlingBlue

That is wierd. When I first read your second post I was thinking maybe the noise was the front left tire pushing on a hard right turn...but your description is more of a mechanical type noise...it's really hard to describe/diagnose car noises on a message board or over the phone.
How old is your car? Check the inner seal of your front drive shafts. Some early WRX's had a design flaw on the driver's side drive shaft that did not properly seal grease. Mine was replaced under warranty. This *may* explain your noise or *may* not. You might as well check next time you change your oil or rotate your tires.

Probably the best thing to do is adjust your driving habits and get on the power a little later in the turn to avoid losing traction to all your tires
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 02:16 AM   #5
bobbyT
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon

Thanks for the ideas. This really is a weird noise. I just heard it again coming home from work. I'll check the drive shaft on the drivers side next time I poke around in there. It doesn't seem like a pathological noise, just an interesting one. As for my driving style, I guess I thought I was just a normal WRX driver!
Old 02-07-2003, 06:05 PM   #6
SubaruImpreza_power
Scooby Guru

Member#: 13910
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy outback
blue

I have a Video of a White WRX that got stuck on a snow bank and when it was put in Reverse it made that whine sound you seak of.. let me find the link...

here is the Video

http://www.rallybc.com/Video/2002tbird/redlake09.asf
SubaruImpreza_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 12:38 PM   #7
bobbyT
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon

Interesting. I think all cars make that whine in reverse, and am not sure what it is. Maybe the reverse gear pinion or something like that. It does sound like my noise, but is a little different.