|01-24-2003, 11:45 PM||#1|
over boosted again
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado Springs CO USAVehicle:
2017 WRX Limited
2015 Forester XT, Tribeca
Relocating Questions, Please Help
Please help with the following Questions:
I am wanting to move from Colorado to sea-level because of my lung disability, and am eager to get away from the selfish self-centered mainland mentality, and I am tired of being unable to anything but watch TV because of the high altitude here. I realise I might be the subject of discrimination as a white boy, but people will learn to love me I would consider opening a medical practice as a doctor part time, treating pediatric ADHD and behaviour problem patients; while continuing to run SubaruPlanet from there, since all my suppliers and shippers are located on the mainland and I don't need to live there.
1) My wife is a certified pediatric occupational therapist (AOTA), and if she can find work in Oahu with benefits like health insurance, maybe in a hospital in Honolulu, we'd like to move to a smaller town outside of the big city. Anyone know of any job openings in occupational therapy? All we can find on monster.com is one at a mental hospital, which isn't her specialty. Even part time 3 days a week is okay, if full time isn't available. She is currently coordinator of outpatient therapy at the local hospital (i.e. the boss) and she works in the neonatal intensive care with premature and developmentally delayed badies and children. Hourly wage isn't as important as the health insurance.
2) We have need for a 4 bedroom 2 or more bath, and online we see at least 169 houses listed on the island between $225K - $350K, so buying doesn't look like a problem, but where we live will will narrow it down. And, our current house was appraised for $285K a year ago, but we only had 12% equity in the house back then, so we may have to rent and save up a downpayment.
3) Any recommendations for which city's to live in, in order of nicest to least?
4) How are the local schools on Oahu for our 5, 7, 9yr old children, which city has the best schools?
5) If we rent at first, because we might take a beating on selling our house after realtor fees, how much would a 4 bdrm rent for? (or maybe a 3 bedroom if the girls can bunk up together and share a room for a while.) We want air conditioning, central or window unit is okay. Washer and Dryer would be nice for family of 5.
6) I already have a quote for $1,350 to ship my RS-T from Denver to HI, and the car is paid off from the bank. However, we need two cars. We have a 2001 Suzuki XL7 SUV with $445/mo pmt and a 1991 Nissan SE-R with 145K mile motor that wont pass Colorado emissions but it is paid off and runs well. It would be nice to keep the XL7 since it is so new and great condition and reliable. Which one should we take? Maybe neither and buy a second car there? If I put the factory stereo back in the Nissan, I can get $1,750 for it, maybe $2250 with the $900 stereo still in it... Do we have emissions testing in Hawaii? I can remove my up and downpipe and stick the catsection back in for that.
7) We hear Hawaii is expensive to live in. I am not too concerned about that, and we could save $1,000/month when we finish paying off our federal taxes in 4-6 months and if we stopped paying into the college fund for a year or two. We'd save another $445/mo if we sold the Suzuki and took the Nissan with us. Plus, our mortgage here is $1,900/mo. That's about $3,350 available for housing (and what is left over can cover the extra cost of living). Can I have some examples of what groceries, gas and utilities cost in Hawaii?
8) How are the hospitals and doctors in Honolulu? I occasionally have a problem with my left lung bleeding, and the experts take me to the cath lab, insert a catheter into my groin to get to the blood vessels in my lung, and inject plastic into the bleeding artery to clog it up. This is the same technique used in the cardiac cath lab for people with clogged arteries, but instead of opening up a clogged heart blood vessel, they are blocking off a lung blood vessel. This may not be a problem for several years once I get to sea-level and my pulmonary blood pressures return to normal.
9) Any recommendation for things to take with us, like furniture, vs buying new stuff there. Do people take their clothes and pictures, TV, and Stereo, and leave beds and sofas and dressers behind?
10) How bad are the bugs and humidity there? Roaches? I used to live in houston and it was fairly bad. Is there a good season and bad season, i.e. how much does it swing between a winter and summer season. Typhoons or Hurricanes?
Any help with these questions would be appreciated, it might be that when my wife found work she would go ahead of us and prepare a place for us, while I stay behind and sell the house. That would mean sending a car ahead, renting a car for a while, or buying another car there. We want to do this as cheaply as possible, but also the easiest way.
The dog is gonna cost is $650 to quarrantine for a month, but I can't part with her...
PS: Is Oahu agreed to be our best choice? Another Island we should be looking at?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Last edited by ImprezaRS dot com; 01-24-2003 at 11:59 PM.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Stock cd player questions? Please help.||SanMateo||Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC||6||05-06-2004 12:18 AM|
|('93-'01) please help!! 98 GC8 bumper conversion question, please help!!||nateconnella||Impreza Forum||10||05-13-2003 06:50 PM|
|('93-'01) please help!! 98 GC8 bumper conversion question, please help!!||nateconnella||Impreza Forum||1||05-05-2003 11:11 PM|
|very easy question. Please help!||vaporeso||Car Audio, Video & Security||2||05-08-2001 09:40 AM|
|intake problem/question please help||scottsubarus||Normally Aspirated Powertrain||9||04-29-2001 04:18 PM|