Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-03-2003, 09:20 PM   #1
hiwrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 28021
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default JDM RHD projector lights w/ Jim Hoyd Harness install revision

Hello everyone! Just thought I'd share a little bit about my install experience with my jdm rhd projectors and the jim hoyd harness. Before I get started, let me say -- Get the harness! It will save you the hassle of making one for yourself. Plus, Jim communicated well throughout the purchase. This should be a no brainer for guys with experience in working with cars a lot, but for a beginner like me, I think this will be helpful to you.
First, take off the grill. Use a flat head screwdriver to push off the 4 tabs that hold it in place. Careful as you do this because the grill is a flimsy-ass plastic!
Next, take off the 2 plastic pieces on each side of the grill. They're held down by 2 plastic tabs on the top and one on the bottom (on the inside). Use flat head to pop them out. Carefully pull the 2 pieces out.
Next, choose a headlight. Undo the 3 bolts that hold the headlight in place. Use 10mm. There are 2 bolts that were covered by that little plastic piece, and 1 more on the top.
Carefully jiggle out the headlight. Disconnect the turn signal connection, and the 9007 bulb from the housing. Then disconnect the bulb assembly from the main oem connection.
Now you have to connect the jim hoyd harness. This is the part that confused me and forced me to write up this install. For those of you that don't know already, Jim Hoyd uses BLACK for POSITIVE, and BLUE for NEGATIVE on his HARNESS. It clearly shows this on the pictures of the website, BUT NOT THE DRAWING! The drawing on his website-instructions actually show black as the negative for the harness. Don't get this mixed up!
The harness is used to separate the low and high beams, by the way.
First, on your rhd lights, there are two wires, black and green, behind the low beam housing. Remember, that for the HEADLIGHT, GREEN is POSITIVE, and BLACK is NEGATIVE. Crimp down hard with pliers, the supplied vampire clips, one on each of those wires. Then, plug the big, blue end of the harness to the main oem connection. Then connect the harness' black wire (remember, positive) to the light's green wire(positive). Then connect the harness blue (remember, negative) to the light's black(negative). Check those 2 low beam harness wires before attaching them to the vampires clips, because I noticed on mine that they slipped out easily from that clear plastic area. I had to soder them down against the metal.
Okay! Once you're done with the low beam connection, simply connect up the 3 pronged high beam connection. Don't forget to plug in the turn signal, which runs separately from the other connections.
Do the other light, put everything back in reverse order, and you're ready to rock! Jim said that he would fix the drawing on his site soon. If you got any questions, give me a holler.
Now about the beam adjustment...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
hiwrx is offline   Reply With Quote