Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-16-2003, 10:24 AM   #1
Blue02WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 5841
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default questions about DIY 5-wire WB sensors

ok, is the bosch sensor in some way better than the napa echlin sensor. i can find the echlin sensors all day long and they are cheaper. i was wondering if they are just cheaper in price or cheaper in quality. another question...i was planning on putting the sensor in the bung in my vishnu uppipe, would there be any downsides to this.. some people have said to put it in the downpipe...if this is the best place i will put it there butcan someone tell me where...2 inches from turbo, 4 inches...? thanks, Brian
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Blue02WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 01:24 PM   #2
Jon [in CT]
*** Banned ***

Member#: 2992
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sedan
Silver

You have to be careful about the part number. If you buy any of these:
Honda P/N 36531-P07-003
Echlin P/N OS791
Bosch P/N 13246
you'll receive the same 5-wire wideband sensor manufactured by NTK. So buy whichever is cheapest and available.

Don't mount the sensor in your uppipe. Pressure there is likely twice your boost pressure and will screw up the sensor's readings. Mount it in your downpipe. The sensor's probe inside the pipe must be perpendicular to the exhaust gas flow. And, ideally, the sensor would be positioned so that it is vertical (i.e. sticking straight up in the air). However, you can mount it as much as 30 from vertical and still be OK. So, mount it in your downpipe as far as possible from the turbo while observing the other restrictions.
Jon [in CT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 02:02 PM   #3
Blue02WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

i have bypassed the rear 02 sensor, can i mount it in that location? it is very close to perpendicular. there is a bolt in there now.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:24 PM   #4
teiva-boy
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22825
Chapter/Region: NWIC

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue02WRX
i have bypassed the rear 02 sensor, can i mount it in that location? it is very close to perpendicular. there is a bolt in there now.

Yes you can do that. Shiv dis it this way with my car.
teiva-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:29 PM   #5
DocDetroit
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 24977
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Blue

How did you bypass your rear O2 sensor? I am just about to install my FJO wideband kit and would prefer to use the bung that's already there if I can.
DocDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 04:28 PM   #6
teiva-boy
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22825
Chapter/Region: NWIC

Quote:
Originally posted by DocDetroit
How did you bypass your rear O2 sensor? I am just about to install my FJO wideband kit and would prefer to use the bung that's already there if I can.
We unplugged it. It caused a CEL but who cares it was for tuning purposes anyways. I now have two bungs on my downpipe about 6" from the turbo
teiva-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 04:37 PM   #7
Blue02WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

i bought an o2 simulator from my friend who does a lot of honda stuff and put the rear o2 in the upipe and am going to put the wideband in the downpipe, the stock o2 is heated so if you unplug it wrap it up with foil or something. if you bypass it you won't get a cel, but if you bypass it and unplug it you will get a cell i think...i may be wrong.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:19 PM   #8
Davenow
Scooby Guru

Member#: 23676
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:

Default OK when I get the WB o2

What guage do I need to hook it up to? How do I wire it?
Davenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 10:26 PM   #9
DocDetroit
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 24977
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Blue

Wideband O2's don't really work the same way. They require a "controller".

Some choices are Labdaboy, FJO, and DYI. They are pretty pricey. The FJO datalogging kit goes for over $750. The Lambdaboy is roughly $500 if I remember correctly but it doesn't datalog. The DIY is something like $300 if you buy it assembled. That doesn't include the sensor though. I beleive the sensors go for $100. I think there is a DYI version that you can datalog with.

For my FJO, the wiring is simply switched 12 volt, ground, tach signal, rs-232 (serial cable for the lap-top), and of-course the wideband O2 sensor. The FJO comes will connectors for everything.
DocDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote