Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-19-2003, 12:58 PM   #1
newsman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 25904
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
WR Blue/Gold

Question Rev match by keeping foot on gas - bad for clutch?

I'm new to the manual. On the 1st to 3rd gear I have enough room between rpms to shift without rev matching. However since the gear ratio is close from 2nd/3rd - I rev match to get smooth transtion.
I'm doing it by pressing on the gas pedal and keeping rpm steady at sertain level, than clatch in - my question - do I wear out my clatch this way?
I don't like the procedure of clutch out, reving up the engine much above the point I needed in the next gear, remove foot from gas, shift, clutch in. This way i would some times release clutch too soon or too early. On the other hand by keeping rpm steady I can quickly and smoothly release clutch.

You thoughts?

P.S. My coworker bought a new WRX wagon, and he is the guy who drives manuals since wearing diapers. While riding with him I noticed that the car jerks a lot in between shifts - granted it's his first couple days with Subie, but he drove very similar in his old Honda. It didnt' seem like he was doing a lot of rev matching, he doesn't do double clatch on downshifts either.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
newsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 01:01 PM   #2
cnk
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10757
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
DGM

You generally don't have to rev-match when up shifting. You also don't have to double-clutch when down shifting. The only reason to rev-match double-clutch when down shifting is when you're in a corner pushing the car hard and don't want the balance of the car to be upset in the middle of the turn. I have never rev-matched while up shifting and I think it's totally unnecessary.

Calvin
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 01:35 PM   #3
M3toWRXin3seconds

Member#:
Default heal toe downshifting...

its fun, and useful while driving in a spirited manor. but you dont hold your foot on the gas, your right foot is positioned half by the brake and half by the gas and you simply roll your foot to the gas (Blip the gas as skip barber says) and than shift....might be jerky at first....but you'll get better
Old 02-19-2003, 02:03 PM   #4
newsman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX
WR Blue/Gold

What about the clunk I hear from (presumably) driveshaft, when keeping rpm steady I don't have that. Again mostly I don't rev match on upshift, you are right - you only do it on downshifts. But when driving fast, rpm drop a bit faster in between shifts as well, and that's why I keep foot on the gas so that not to allow rpms to drop below certain level before I'm ready to release clutch.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:09 PM   #5
cnk
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10757
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
DGM

The clunk that you hear is from your rear diff. You will have to adjust the way that you drive so that the clunk doesn't happen anymore. The clunk usually happens when you drive very aggressively and/or power shift. Just keep practicing and you'll be able to drive without causing the clunk.

Calvin
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 02:10 PM   #6
MOG_22
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 18779

well generally I give is a little gas when I upshift or downshift. Gas on upshift because I don't want the rpms to drop too low, like if I'm going up a hill from a stop, and I shift from 1st to 2nd, if I don't give it some gas to keep the rpms up then when I hit 2nd, the car will just lug and not perform because the rpms are too low. Gas on downshift because I don't want the difference in rpms to make my car jerk. Say you're going 2500 rpms in 3rd gear, and let's say at that speed the rpm equivalent in 2nd is 3500rpms, you will need to give it some gas to try to get the revs as close as 3500rpms as possible for a smooth transition.
MOG_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 02:17 PM   #7
newsman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX
WR Blue/Gold

This is from "How to launch fast" thread -
"Good point, but don't forget to do the same thing when you shift into second...let the clutch out slowly and rev match to avoid "tha jerk"....trans no like "tha jerk"...."

That's what I'm talking about - but my question is, does it metter if I just keep my foot on the gas - giving it just enough gas to keep rpm at the desired value, or should I give rpms a "jump" so that I have enough "room", release foot from throttle, put in the 2nd gear and release clutch when rpms come down to the right value.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:24 PM   #8
MOG_22
Scooby Newbie

well in that case it's just a timing issue, I wouldn't blip the gas just to give it some headroom to fall into the right rev value, I mean you would have to wait for the rpms to fall into the correct range. For me, it's easier to just step on clutch, shift, gas a little, release clutch pedal. I've been driving the car long enough to just be able to feel the necessary rpms. I don't drive too aggresively so this tactic works for me when downshifting. If you were upshifting you don't need to gas it as much, because you figure if you shift up, the rpms are lower within the next gear. But you will have to gas a bit because in all likelihood, when you've stepped on the clutch and shifted, the rpms would have dropped below optimum for the next gear anyway. I know I know I drive like an old lady.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:32 PM   #9
newsman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX
WR Blue/Gold

Hmm, so as far as I can tell you drive like me - I was afraid that pressing the gaz while releasing clutch puts extra stress on it - I thoght that maybe everyone blips the gas beyong desired point and lifts foot of the pedal.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:35 PM   #10
MOG_22
Scooby Newbie

After you drive the car for awhile you will get used to it and you won't have to gas it while still trying to release the clutch back in. I think you are riding the clutch a little, but as far as what I can tell you is that, you will get better with practice, just need to get used to the car. Giving it a little gas while releasing the clutch back in is a whole lot better than just releaseing the clutch all together and having your car jerk. Especially if you're shifting to a lower gear.