Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Bay Area Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-09-2003, 01:02 PM   #1
deks
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 13803
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
PSM

Unhappy oil reading before service maintenance

i'll be having my regular service maintenance this next week. i noticed when i checked my oil reading today it was on "low". is this normal? does this mean my car burns oil? i don't see any leaks. any ideas?

thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
deks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:07 PM   #2
suby_dude
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 17397
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
many '02 Rex,'13 FRS
WRB, White

Default Re: oil reading before service maintenance

Quote:
Originally posted by deks
i'll be having my regular service maintenance this next week. i noticed when i checked my oil reading today it was on "low". is this normal? does this mean my car burns oil? i don't see any leaks. any ideas?

thanks.
ya, that's definately NOT a good sign.

for a car that new there should be no leaks big enough to give you that 'low' light.

get it in the shop asap...

for now, i suggest you check and re-check your oil level under the hood.

be sure you have enough oil... oil is the life blood of your car and your turbo... good luck!

SD
suby_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:10 PM   #3
deks
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
PSM

Default re

thanks. what i meant was oil level reading not the light. the light doesn't lit... yet
Old 03-10-2003, 02:51 PM   #4
Stanley
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7374
Vehicle:
2007 Grandpamobile
BlingBlingBlue

It's very common for new BMW engines to use a quart or two of oil between changes. Mini owners have reported the same thing. OTH, my Subaru has never used any that I can tell by looking at the dipstick.

One of the many reasons I no longer own a BMW...

Check under the car for obvius signs of oil leaking out, taking off the plastic shield right behind the bumper will allow you to see the front of the motor, my driver's side seal at the front of the car looks a little wet but Santa Cruz Subaru said it was nothing to worry about and like I said, the car has not used any perceptible amount of oil.
If the bottom of the motor is dry, you may be burning some oil or perhaps you didn't get it completely full last time you changed it?

Good luck, and you should be just fine if you keep an extra quart in the car and check it often.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 03:19 PM   #5
deks
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
PSM

ok. i'll be doing that checks later. i'm carrying 6 quarts of oil in my trunk right now just to be sure. well since i'm due for a service this week

thanks!