Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > STi Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-14-2003, 03:10 PM   #1
Fortal
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33984
Vehicle:
2003 Evo VIII
Silver

Default Evo dyno results

Hi guys this is my first post here.

I have been going to evolutiomn.net for quite sometime, and should be getting an Evo mid April??.

Anyway, I have been disappointed with the results of the dyno done by Shiv ( Many of you my know him around here) He seen to be honest and reliable!!??

The fact the car came only 20whp over a stock WRX has bothered me. Yes I know, I can always modify the engine and get more power, however I am not sure I will do that. Heck, If I need to spend more money I should just get the STi.

Basically, I want to get the feedback from you guys here about why the power is down (271hp to 180WHP with 91oct)

I have to make up my mind quickly as I have a chance to get the first STi coming to my dealership.

My intent is not to bash on the EVO, because It is an amazing car!!!!

Thanks,
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:51 PM   #2
RSX2STI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33630
Vehicle:
2002 Acura RSX-S
silver

We'll that kinda makes me think that the sti will be only about 210whp from the results of the wrx compared to the evo compared to the wrx...very rough assumtion but prolly not far from the truth...
Old 03-14-2003, 03:56 PM   #3
sr20det91
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 26508
Vehicle:
MY05 EVO VIII
Wicked White- 03RR Sold

Hell.....if you know you can get on the STI list, why not spend a few more grand and get the Suby. I also think the EVO is a badass ride in Japanese form, but the USDM version seems to have gotten watered down a little too much. Considering what you are getting with the Sube for your extra money(assuming its gonna be 32-33k) you get so much more. DCCD, water spray,awsome 6 speed, 2.5l torque, better interior. The list goes on and on. I was actually also considering an EVO if the price on the STI ended up being to high(above 34k), but after seeing the dyno results Shiv posted, if that were the case, I would keep my WRX. Looks like I'll be getting my STI in white.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:05 PM   #4
STi INGER
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33468
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi (soon)
Black

If the raito stayed consistant, the STi will only have 200whp. that is really weird to lose 30% of the power to the wheels. I have seen cars that have lost 20-22% but 30% is a bit extreme. Perhaps it has something to do with the lack of a decent center diff that is losing all the power. A stock DSM had almost the same whp with the most basic of mods.

I have a 97 GS-T with the 16G turbo that is in the EVO minus the twin scroll and 3" turbo back exhaust running the same boost levels (and other little mods) and I swear I had 220whp (never dynoed).

I never saw the post of the EVO dyno, but did whoever did it have a fan on blowing on the engine (more importantly, the FMIC). If not, that would definitly have somthing to do with it. If so...you guess is as good as mine.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:09 PM   #5
Vishnu Performance
Vendor

Member#: 14494
Vehicle:
WRX Porsche 996
blue & black

Couple of things to remember about the EVO. It runs 17-18psi of boost from the factory, making it not perform to full potential on our 91 octane gas we get here in CA. Mixing up a 93 octane mix bumped up power to nearly 190 wheel hp. Bone stock. For comparisions sake, new '03 WRX are now making between 150-158 wheel hp at 91 octane and doesn't really respond to higher octane due to its ECU mapping. Also, the EVO drivetrain is a bit more "lossy" than the WRX so less power makes it to the wheels. So yes, the 271 wheel hp is probably accurate on 93 octane. Perhaps 10 hp less on 91 octane.

Cheers,
shiv
Old 03-14-2003, 04:11 PM   #6
ObsidianRS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 17042
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STi
Blue/Gold

Actually, the WRX loses close to 30%. It dynos generally anywhere from 160s to 170s.

However, I wouldn't expect 30% loss on the STi. However, if you take that the WRX gets 165 on average whp, that's 62hp loss. An STi should get somewhere around 300 - 62 = 238whp. Of course, this is just guestimating and should be taken with a big chunk of salt. Too many different factors between WRX and STi.

However, the thing is that HP loss is somewhat constant. So all else being equal, a WRX that makes 227 while losing 30% will still not lose 30% when bumped up to 350hp. Most of the power loss through the tranny is constant, so that 350hp WRX may make about 280whp not 240 (30% loss figure). Of course, reality is somwhere in between and guessing crank HP on modded cars is really just intelligent guesswork (and how much you want to claim your project's crank hp is).
Old 03-14-2003, 04:32 PM   #7
STi INGER
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33468
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi (soon)
Black

I wonder why it is so high of HP loss. Perhaps it is 15% per driveline...I mean that is nuts. Make me curious to see how much my step-dads stock 350Z. I love that car...handles like a dream and the only car that I can heel-toe shift in with the stock steering wheel, I have too long of legs to do it in my other cars. Anyway, back on topic, the STi *I think* will have not as much loss to the wheels due to the better center diff

my 2
Old 03-14-2003, 05:09 PM   #8
munkis
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1847
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
Team Broken: V6 GF
rallyarmor.com

been posted quite a few times, this is the wrong forum. No need to move it to off-topic there are plenty of threads about it.

Please read Glen Wallace's thread about what should be posted in the forum.

thanks

Jay