Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 15, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-30-2003, 03:55 PM   #1
Mapplex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 20315
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1997 Impreza L
hunter green

Default Three breakdowns in a week. what's going on?

FIRST BREAKDOWN:
Last week on my way to work my 97 Impreza L started to 'hiccup' -- the engine would lose power for just a split second. I thought it might be a pocket of bad gas or something. A few minutes later it got worse and then the car just stalled and I pulled over on the side of the road. I had 1/4 tank of gas at the time.
My attempts to restart the engine failed. The engine would idle horribly and then stall. So I called a tow truck and got it towed to a nearby gas station where I did nothing more than fill the tank with gas. It started fine. Everything seemed normal. The tow-truck driver put in some dry gas and set me on my way. That cost me a little over $50. The car ran like normal.

SECOND BREAKDOWN:
The next day (40 miles later), the same problem came up only this time it was worse. It would just crank and refuse to start, or it would start up, idle horribly and then stall. So far, no CEL came on. I called the tow-truck again and took it to a repair shop. They said my MAF sensor needed to be replaced. I asked if they were pretty sure that was the cause of my problem. They said it was almost certainly the MAF sensor and that everything else looked ok. I authorized the repair and picked up my car two hours later. That cost me $488.
The car ran like normal with one exception:
when i started the car, the rpms were high (between 2-3k) but then would sharply drop down to normal idle a few seconds later. I didn't think much of this because I know the idle can be high at first just to warm up the car (though I've never seen it around 2-3k) But the car ran fine, and I thought my troubles were over.

THIRD BREAKDOWN:
The next day, I started it up and left it idling for a minute. Suddenly the idle became very loud and the whole car was shaking. At this point the CEL came on. I shut it down. When I started it up again, the idle went up to near 3k for a few seconds and would drop sharply sometimes causing the car to stall. When it did not stall, the idle would be low and rough. The car would vibrate noticably and the engine would be much louder than normal.
I called the shop and explained what happened. They sent a tow truck and I politely explained the problem and showed him what was happening. I was assured the shop would call me. After two days of taking the bus to school and walking to work, I still had not heard from them. I called them last Friday and they said Saturday morning it'd be fixed. I paid them a visit today (Sunday) and it's still not fixed. The only thing the work order said was "needs new idle air control motor"

So that's where I'm at right now. The car has always been stock and running smoothly until this. I'm a college student with a part time job so I can't afford to have them replace things left and right hoping for a fix. Could the new MAF lead to a contaminated or damaged IAC valve/motor? Did the MAF sensor even have to be replaced in the first place? I'm starting to get really upset not having my car for so long and I feel like I'm at the mercy of whatever the shop decides to charge me. For 488 bucks, I expect a problem to be fixed, not made worse.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Mapplex; 03-30-2003 at 09:04 PM.
Mapplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 09:45 PM   #2
Matt
Allergic to turbos

Member#: 181
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2009 Forester

Hmmm...

Seems like a lot of money for a MAF. It could be the IAC, but I'd just replace the PCV valve, plugs--the stuff with normal maintenance. Also, ever had problems with the crank angle sensor?

I had some similar problems with my '95 Impreza and it had some of the same problems, but not the odd idle.

Best of luck getting it sorted.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 09:47 PM   #3
Matt
Allergic to turbos

Member#: 181
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2009 Forester

I also forgot to add....you can take it to Autozone for a free OBD scan for your CE. You may want to ask a local garage or Subaru dealer just for a scan too.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 10:34 PM   #4
Mapplex
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza L
hunter green

Thanks for the reply. I've never had crank angle sensor problems. I'm assuming the CEL light that came on indicated IAC system problems. Yes $488 bucks is ALOT for a remanufactured MAF. the part alone was $335. I think a brand new OEM MAF cost that much.

The closest autozone is in the next state. I've driven there before to get a code pulled but it's not very convenient.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:14 PM   #5
Mapplex
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza L
hunter green

Just an update- I got the car towed back home and I'm going to look at the idle air control valve and see if it can be cleaned. Is there anything I should be aware of before cleaning/replacing the iac valve on this vehicle? I hear replacing it is a pretty straightforward process but one can never be too careful.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:05 PM   #6
North Ursalia
Miss You Mom
Oct 1940 - Feb 2008

Super Moderator

Member#: 809
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS, '14 For
92 5MT SVX

Pull off the IAC valve and blast it out with carb clean, let is sit a minute, and do it again. Set it on the bench to dry. Reinstall. See how things run- that era is famous for bad IAC valves, though it's usually just gummed up and dirty, not actually broken .

Brian
http://www.northursalia.com
http://www.imprezamods.com
http://www.scoobymods.com
http://www.deniedmywarranty.org
North Ursalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:24 PM   #7
meZoom!
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33915
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza 2.5RS
silver

IAC valves can be expensive. This guy I talked to yesterday had one go bad on his Lexus. He said he had to shut down his engine at every red light and stop sign because it just revved at 4000RPM the whole time and at that rpm, the car just keeps lurching forward no matter what (brakes basically don't hold the car still).
meZoom! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:26 PM   #8
ImpSP
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 29223
Vehicle:
97 Impreza
white

I Had the exact same problem in my impreza 95 L. It turned out to be a bad water temperature sensor that was causing the rpm's to jump around during idle and sometimes die.
ImpSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 11:20 AM   #9
Mapplex
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza L
hunter green

I took out the IAC, soaked it in carb cleaner, wiped out all the gunk with q-tips, let it dry, and reatached everything. started her up and the problem has dissapeared! Idle is perfect now and the CEL is no longer on. Thanks everyone!