Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 14, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > STi Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2003, 04:14 PM   #26
HFTuRbo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34388
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Vehicle:
04 WRX STi
Black w/gunmetal

Wink Shiv chime-in anytime!

strangerq wrote:
Quote:
Makes you sound like the Information Minister from Iraq.
Kinda makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy!
Videos, Smidy-o's... There's a matter of preference and taste that go along with any review. Biased/Un-biased~whatever! Things can be staged regardless. Face it, what's killing *us* is waiting to actually get the car. If the press release isn't until May 1st, then it's going to take close to another month before all of the magazines hit the news stand with a road test.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
HFTuRbo is offline  
Old 04-09-2003, 04:59 PM   #27
JT-KGY
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7852
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Alhambra, CA
Vehicle:
03 White Lan EVO 8
97 Techno-Violet BMW M3/2

Default Re: Shiv chime-in anytime!

Quote:
Originally posted by HFTuRbo
strangerq wrote:


Kinda makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy!
Videos, Smidy-o's... There's a matter of preference and taste that go along with any review. Biased/Un-biased~whatever! Things can be staged regardless. Face it, what's killing *us* is waiting to actually get the car. If the press release isn't until May 1st, then it's going to take close to another month before all of the magazines hit the news stand with a road test.
AGREE!!!!
I'm so sick of waiting that I start to look at used 02 Z06s... which
reported to go as low as $35k!
(I was looking to buy a new Z06 before I learn about STi's...)
JT-KGY is offline  
Old 04-09-2003, 05:18 PM   #28
akoshy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 20931
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MN
Vehicle:
09 Subaru

Wink

Why do I get the impression that this "Broeli" fellow owns an EVO ? That he is coming up with these posts to basically boost himself since he is kicking himself for having jumped the gun and buying an EVO, with the superb kick-azz STi now coming out ??

Hey Broeli, it's okay man. It's never too late to trade-in your EVO and go with the "real deal" (STi)....you won't lose too much money.
akoshy is offline  
Old 04-09-2003, 05:52 PM   #29
Broeli
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 2997
Join Date: Nov 2000
Default

Quote:
Why do I get the impression that this "Broeli" fellow owns an EVO ? That he is coming up with these posts to basically boost himself since he is kicking himself for having jumped the gun and buying an EVO, with the superb kick-azz STi now coming out ??
You are VERY smart. I DO own an Evo
Actually I'm just posting whatever articles I find because I am just as interested in the rivalry as anyone else is. And no I'm not kicking myself...trust me..I love the Evo. So far no complaints. Please no bashing I respect the Sti and like some things about it but I chose the Evo. These cars are really close performers in every aspect and it comes down to more than just handling and power when it comes to the decision.
Broeli is offline  
Old 04-09-2003, 06:32 PM   #30
Jewbaru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1994
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: "Teh Hebro Town"
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Broeli

You are VERY smart. I DO own an Evo
Actually I'm just posting whatever articles I find because I am just as interested in the rivalry as anyone else is. And no I'm not kicking myself...trust me..I love the Evo. So far no complaints. Please no bashing I respect the Sti and like some things about it but I chose the Evo. These cars are really close performers in every aspect and it comes down to more than just handling and power when it comes to the decision.
good point. Both cars have their positives and negatives. Same with any car rivalry. Hell, people picked Mustangs over Camaro's when the Camaro is the better performer of the two!

The EVO will definatly be a bit more nimble because of it's steering ratio, but that doesn't mean it's ultimate grip will be higher. We'll just have to wait and see, either way, which ever car people choose will be the right one.
Jewbaru is offline  
Old 04-09-2003, 07:34 PM   #31
Javabean2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9752
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Berkeley
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by strangerq
Makes you sound like the Information Minister from Iraq.
The Evo boards are feeding you lies. They don't own the track. They don't own the 1/4. They own nothing. They're not even within 100 miles of the track. The soldiers of NASIOC are slaughtering them. We slaughtered them in the 1/4. They have gotten a lesson they will never forget.
Javabean2 is offline  
Old 04-09-2003, 08:45 PM   #32
David@Vishnu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13004
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: I dont really remember
Vehicle:
2002 Pump Gas Homo

Default

[quote]that is the quality I have been looking in a car.


Quality and a Mitsu dont go together Well see how fast you start missing that BMW - wait a minute what are you doing with a performance car I guess youll love the Mitsu coming from that hamster engine BMW
David@Vishnu is offline  
Old 04-09-2003, 08:57 PM   #33
strangerq
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13095
Join Date: Dec 2001
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Javabean2


The Evo boards are feeding you lies. They don't own the track. They don't own the 1/4. They own nothing. They're not even within 100 miles of the track. The soldiers of NASIOC are slaughtering them. We slaughtered them in the 1/4. They have gotten a lesson they will never forget.
No it is Subaru that is feeding you lies. The STI's are not in the country. They do not have 300 Horsepower. There is no EJ25 engine and if there is, it detonates on its own, and will not function on less than 98 RON gasoline. It will not be possible to modify such an engine as it is all new, and already overstressed from detonation. It is the EVO 8 that owns the track. It is the EVO 8 that owns the 1/4. The US EVO is the best EVO ever.
It does not need any more than 180 whp (thanx Shiv ), it does
not need a six speed tranny. It does not need a limited slip differential to curb understeer. The rest of the world that is getting the 6 speed AYC/AD Evo is being deceived.

The USDM EVO will destroy the STI on a track. The USDM EVO will destroy the so-called "real" EVO's of Japan and Europe as well.
Those of you who have not run out and purchased an EVO at, at least 5K over MSRP are fools.........
And all the world is laughing at you.
strangerq is offline  
Old 04-09-2003, 08:58 PM   #34
Rattles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16486
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Somewhere in New England..
Vehicle:
2006 Jeep

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by akoshy
Why do I get the impression that this "Broeli" fellow owns an EVO ? That he is coming up with these posts to basically boost himself since he is kicking himself for having jumped the gun and buying an EVO, with the superb kick-azz STi now coming out ??

Hey Broeli, it's okay man. It's never too late to trade-in your EVO and go with the "real deal" (STi)....you won't lose too much money.
have you ever driven the US STI? have you ever driven the EVO?
than how can you know that the STI is the real deal?

don't get me wrong here, i am not saying that the STI is not all that because i haven't driven one yet. i am just getting sick and tired of people finding the need to bash the EVO for no good reason. i for one think that both will be GREAT cars and i don't see any reason to bash the EVO. this place is becoming more and more like clubSI with all the "mine is better and faster than yours" crap.
Rattles is online now  
Old 04-09-2003, 09:01 PM   #35
dlowman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22998
Join Date: Aug 2002
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
GT35R 572 whp 93/meth

Default

mr. blonde if your going to whine, then the door is that way
<----------------------------
dlowman is offline  
Old 04-09-2003, 09:34 PM   #36
shirokuma
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5489
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: The Empire of Seattle
Vehicle:
2013 FR-S
AVO Orange

Default

I think the message that's being missed here is that the STi is indeed "loose". Unfortunately, the initial impression by people is that is a bad thing.

What that means, though, is that the tail likes to rotate now. That is hardly a bad thing by performance terms - via throttle you can get the car pointed in the direction you want under speed - you know, that advantage that everybody touts the RWD cars as having. Plus you still do have the front willing to pull you out of that corner even harder than the RWD can. It is, in fact, very tossable. You have to be willing to learn how to toss it though, and understand that you will have to go back to using the lines through corners that RWD cars use. Early in, get it sideways, on the gas. And hold on as you go through the corner slightly (to majorly) sideways.

I watched a test driver do just that before a kink. Throw the STi so far sideways he was steering while looking through the passengers window. And then easily caught it, rotated it around completely and did the same, except peering through his side window.

It's a whole different car than the Evo or the WRX.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen
www.apexjapan.com
shirokuma is offline  
Old 04-09-2003, 10:20 PM   #37
Rattles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16486
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Somewhere in New England..
Vehicle:
2006 Jeep

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by dlowman
mr. blonde if your going to whine, then the door is that way
<----------------------------
i am in no way whining because i have better things to do than that. however, i am getting pissed when people bash another great car for no good reason.

and also as for your mature remark, why don't you get back to evolutionm.net and casue trouble over there?

this place is a great place for information and interesting people and i just don't want it to become like all the other crappy clubs out there
Rattles is online now  
Old 04-09-2003, 10:45 PM   #38
dlowman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22998
Join Date: Aug 2002
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
GT35R 572 whp 93/meth

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mr. blonde


i am in no way whining because i have better things to do than that. however, i am getting pissed when people bash another great car for no good reason.

and also as for your mature remark, why don't you get back to evolutionm.net and casue trouble over there?

this place is a great place for information and interesting people and i just don't want it to become like all the other crappy clubs out there
Mr Blonde its ok I am just giving you a hard time
dlowman is offline  
Old 04-09-2003, 10:52 PM   #39
Rattles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16486
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Somewhere in New England..
Vehicle:
2006 Jeep

Default

not a problem

it is just that i am trying to pick a car right now and i am torn between the STI and the EVO but this all bashing thing does not help me at all

i am selling my wrx in a week so i need to make up my mind
Rattles is online now  
Old 04-09-2003, 11:01 PM   #40
dlowman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22998
Join Date: Aug 2002
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
GT35R 572 whp 93/meth

Default

Mr blonde you must be strong. lol I would at least wait till some real reviews come out. If you drive the evo. Obviously your going to love it. It is a good car. But give the STI time as well too. I honestly think when its all said and done your going to like the sti better.
dlowman is offline  
Old 04-09-2003, 11:10 PM   #41
Rattles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16486
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Somewhere in New England..
Vehicle:
2006 Jeep

Default

thats the problem, i drove the EVO today for almost an hour and i fell in love with the car!!!! can't sleep, can't eat, can't talk to the gf, DAMN you subaru!!
Rattles is online now  
Old 04-09-2003, 11:46 PM   #42
Alleggerita
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 8281
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: BC
Vehicle:
1967 Alfa Romeo GTA

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by shirokuma

I watched a test driver do just that before a kink. Throw the STi so far sideways he was steering while looking through the passengers window. And then easily caught it, rotated it around completely and did the same, except peering through his side window.
Being a RWD kind of guy who has always struggled a bit with the FWD nature of the current 4WD cars I love what I am hearing.

I hope it's on the mark. The STI should be one hell of a ride. And yes I may still want a spec C steering rack.
Alleggerita is offline  
Old 04-10-2003, 01:03 AM   #43
Scoobz
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 33786
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Default

I personally love the STi, no need to explain why, it is a fascinating car to say the least... BUT BUT...as people have already said...all reviewers will tell you that the EVO is a better handeling car, but the STi is better for daily driving, mainly do the the smooth ride where as due to the exhilirating suspension on the Evolution, you feel everything...
Scoobz is offline  
Old 04-10-2003, 01:47 AM   #44
Vishnu Performance
Vendor
 
Member#: 14494
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Vehicle:
WRX Porsche 996
blue & black

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Scoobz
I personally love the STi, no need to explain why, it is a fascinating car to say the least... BUT BUT...as people have already said...all reviewers will tell you that the EVO is a better handeling car, but the STi is better for daily driving, mainly do the the smooth ride where as due to the exhilirating suspension on the Evolution, you feel everything...
Subjectively, I found the ride quality of the EVO to be no less daily drivable than the STi. In some ways, I even found it to be more comfortable over most road surfaces (short of big potholes, bad broken pavement, etc,.) If there is an area that the STi is clearly superior to the EVO, I don't think it's in the suspension calibration. Torque? Well, that's another story

Just my opinion though so take it for what it's worth.

Cheers,
shiv
Vishnu Performance is offline  
Old 04-10-2003, 02:14 AM   #45
shirokuma
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5489
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: The Empire of Seattle
Vehicle:
2013 FR-S
AVO Orange

Default

Shiv, are you on Japan time or something?

Sleeping while it's dark out is good! Really!

Cheers,

Paul Hansen
shirokuma is offline  
Old 04-10-2003, 02:20 AM   #46
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: haha XD
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru 599 :P
Galaxy Blue Sexy

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by shirokuma
I watched a test driver do just that before a kink. Throw the STi so far sideways he was steering while looking through the passengers window. And then easily caught it, rotated it around completely and did the same, except peering through his side window.
Mmmm, DCCD in action... *droool*
Kostamojen is offline  
Old 04-10-2003, 08:03 AM   #47
RafalW
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8193
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Illinois, USA
Vehicle:
2008 WRX STI
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Vishnu Performance
Torque? Well, that's another story
Music to my ears.
As you drove them both tell me plese, how would you compare seats in both (and to WRX seat)?
RafalW is offline  
Old 04-10-2003, 10:17 AM   #48
dlowman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22998
Join Date: Aug 2002
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
GT35R 572 whp 93/meth

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Vishnu Performance


Subjectively, I found the ride quality of the EVO to be no less daily drivable than the STi. In some ways, I even found it to be more comfortable over most road surfaces (short of big potholes, bad broken pavement, etc,.) If there is an area that the STi is clearly superior to the EVO, I don't think it's in the suspension calibration. Torque? Well, that's another story

Just my opinion though so take it for what it's worth.

Cheers,
shiv
Shiv,
Will you do us a favor. Try to drive it like Paul suggests and see if it makes a difference I think he has a valid point. He has driven alot of these things in the past.
dlowman is offline  
Old 04-10-2003, 12:29 PM   #49
Vishnu Performance
Vendor
 
Member#: 14494
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Vehicle:
WRX Porsche 996
blue & black

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by shirokuma
Shiv, are you on Japan time or something?

Sleeping while it's dark out is good! Really!
It seems that way, doesn't it? I try to enjoy night-time as it's the only time I don't have a dyno blaring in my ear!

cheers,
shiv

PS. I have some good video tape of the STI being flicked through three successive low speed turns at willow springs (from last weekend) with all four tires light up, pointing 90 deg. from the way it was moving. Lots of immediate torque and the center active diff makes things that (and donuts, of course) come natural.

Cheers,
shiv
Vishnu Performance is offline  
Old 04-10-2003, 01:20 PM   #50
skuttledude
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 738
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Southern Ohio USA
Vehicle:
2008 Lexus IS-F
Ducati Monster 800

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Vishnu Performance


It seems that way, doesn't it? I try to enjoy night-time as it's the only time I don't have a dyno blaring in my ear!

cheers,
shiv

PS. I have some good video tape of the STI being flicked through three successive low speed turns at willow springs (from last weekend) with all four tires light up, pointing 90 deg. from the way it was moving. Lots of immediate torque and the center active diff makes things that (and donuts, of course) come natural.

Cheers,
shiv

Ummm, you are going to post that little vid aren't you?!! How dare you speak of such fun and not back it up with a visual!
WE all look forward to your impressions of the 2 cars. (May 1st hurry up)

Davis
skuttledude is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skyline (350z) vs EVO IX vs 07 STi vs EVO X SST vs EVO X manual GeoTracker General Community 28 12-06-2007 10:39 PM
How to sell someone on STi vs. EVO? soldmyboxster General Community 70 09-17-2004 04:12 AM
So what was the deciding factor on STI vs Evo? yoshar STi Forum Archive 66 08-23-2003 06:12 AM
New Article on STi vs. EVO VII Fast Reggie News & Rumors 57 04-13-2002 12:22 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.