Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > STi Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2003, 01:07 AM   #1
Overboosted STi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 35517
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Queens, New York City
Vehicle:
2005 500 AWHP EVO 8
Lightning Yellow

Default Owning a US Spec STi: Theft and Vandalism Concerns

Now that the US market is going to be able to buy these cars I wonder how theft rates and vandalism is gonna be?

I'm a current Integra GSR owner and rarely park my car on the street especially in NYC. I know lots of people with ITR's that have gotten stolen or vandalized.

I'm kinda afraid that when i get mine that I still will have to be very cautious as to where I park it.

Anyhows I plan to keep full coverage on the car to protect my investment.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Overboosted STi is offline  
Old 04-20-2003, 01:26 AM   #2
cky3396
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 28044
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Burbank
Vehicle:
95 Ford Bronco XLT
Black

Default

i wonder the same... people will love a new spoiler or gold wheels...
cky3396 is offline  
Old 04-20-2003, 01:40 AM   #3
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: haha XD
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru 599 :P
Galaxy Blue Sexy

Default

Integra's and Civics are on the top of the list when it comes to stolen vehicles. Subaru's, even WRX's are very low on the stolen car list. In all my time here, I have only heard of a couple of stolen car incidents. If you go over to clubsi, there is like one a day

The STI is not a heavily advertised car, and it may have a slightly higher "profesional" theft rate than some other vehicles (foreign mafia perhaps wanting the 2.5l engine, lol) but as long as you play it safe with your habits like you do with the GSR you should be fine.
Kostamojen is offline  
Old 04-20-2003, 01:43 AM   #4
P2x
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 6016
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Cali
Vehicle:
MY05 Toyota Prius
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Kostamojen
Integra's and Civics are on the top of the list when it comes to stolen vehicles. Subaru's, even WRX's are very low on the stolen car list. In all my time here, I have only heard of a couple of stolen car incidents. If you go over to clubsi, there is like one a day

The STI is not a heavily advertised car, and it may have a slightly higher "profesional" theft rate than some other vehicles (foreign mafia perhaps wanting the 2.5l engine, lol) but as long as you play it safe with your habits like you do with the GSR you should be fine.

That could change, I know in Australasia and the UK also I think, the WRX is one of the most heavily sort after cars, by thieves..
P2x is offline  
Old 04-20-2003, 01:52 AM   #5
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: haha XD
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru 599 :P
Galaxy Blue Sexy

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by P2x
That could change, I know in Australasia and the UK also I think, the WRX is one of the most heavily sort after cars, by thieves..
Yes, but the image of Subaru in America is very different than the rest of the world Alot of the numbskull americans still think Subaru's are built in Australia, or that only lesbians drive subaru's... But hey, thats just fine with me.

Oh, btw, our unframed windows are also a bitch to get inside of. You basically have to break the glass to steal anything, period. Very much unlike other car companies.
Kostamojen is offline  
Old 04-20-2003, 03:59 AM   #6
mr2guru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10334
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: St. Louis
Vehicle:
91 RX7 LSx swap
'09 CC 3.6 4motion

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Kostamojen


Oh, btw, our unframed windows are also a bitch to get inside of. You basically have to break the glass to steal anything, period. Very much unlike other car companies.
Are you being sarcastic? I locked my keys in my car once, took a straightened coat hanger, slide it between the window and the seal and pushed the unlock button with the end. Very easy.
mr2guru is offline  
Old 04-20-2003, 05:49 AM   #7
HFTuRbo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34388
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Vehicle:
04 WRX STi
Black w/gunmetal

Arrow in the cities... at the mall...

Any car of interest can be a target. Pro's usaully have a car in mind. A typical vandal doesn't care what they destroy. In N.Y.C., where the original post came from, I'd think about secured parking of some kind or a house in the `burbs with a garage.
In the TriState Forum there was a report of STi lights being stolen at 4 am, where it was parked in the street in a bad neighborhood. Buyer Beware!
HFTuRbo is offline  
Old 04-20-2003, 10:07 AM   #8
gtguy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2184
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Highland Park, Ill., USA
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT wagon
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default

Any high profile car like the STi will be a target. In Europe, rare was the Audi RS4 that wasn't stolen, no matter what the owners tried to do. Cars like that become objects for acquisition for no other reason than the "Nyah, nyah" aspects.

I suspect quite a few STis will get keyed also, like the rash of keyings that befell WRXes when they were the new kid on the block.

It's unfortunate that people can't just let other people have something nice.

Kevin
gtguy is offline  
Old 04-20-2003, 01:46 PM   #9
ewt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 14506
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy Spec.B
DGM

Default

Kostamojen,

I was with a friend who had locked her keys in her 2.5RS. The CAA tow truck guy basically did what Mr2guru did-- he was in within about 20 seconds. I think it was actually a coat hanger he used too!

He also mentioned that frameless glass and Subaru's in general are the easiest to get into. I found this suprising, considering that it was apparenly so easy to get into my old Integra with a slim jim.

Anyway, I am hoping that some of the tracking systems like Boomerang up here in Canada will get more popular and come down in price a bit, because I think they are the most effective system. Regardless of how good the windows are, if they really want the STi they can always just tow it :-(.

Eric
ewt is offline  
Old 04-20-2003, 11:27 PM   #10
Overboosted STi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 35517
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Queens, New York City
Vehicle:
2005 500 AWHP EVO 8
Lightning Yellow

Default

Yeah, thanks for the replies guys, I am glad I live in the burbs and that I have a long driveway witha Garage. my STi will sure rest in the garage and I will treat her the same way I treated my
Integra
Overboosted STi is offline  
Old 04-20-2003, 11:46 PM   #11
JMU R1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 4327
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: FC, VA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX

Default

Well the main reason Integra GS-R's and Type-R's are stolen so often is because there is a light and cheap chassis their engines can go into (92-95 Civic hatchback mostly). While the STi engine may fit in a 98-01 RS those cars are not common, nor are they cheap.

People may steal them for joy rides and such but probably no more so than M3's, Vettes, and the like.
JMU R1 is offline  
Old 04-21-2003, 03:44 AM   #12
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: haha XD
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru 599 :P
Galaxy Blue Sexy

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ewt
Kostamojen,

I was with a friend who had locked her keys in her 2.5RS. The CAA tow truck guy basically did what Mr2guru did-- he was in within about 20 seconds. I think it was actually a coat hanger he used too!

He also mentioned that frameless glass and Subaru's in general are the easiest to get into. I found this suprising, considering that it was apparenly so easy to get into my old Integra with a slim jim.

Anyway, I am hoping that some of the tracking systems like Boomerang up here in Canada will get more popular and come down in price a bit, because I think they are the most effective system. Regardless of how good the windows are, if they really want the STi they can always just tow it :-(.

Eric
Ok, well the dude I watched try to open a locked car was being mega careful cause he has had the glass break with slimjims like that before, so he wasnt going to risk it, or destroying the rubber around the window. And if you pull the window too far, it can break. Which a theif may not care about, no, and I guess its just cause my personal experience was different with a locksmith was different... Oh well.
Kostamojen is offline  
Old 04-21-2003, 12:13 PM   #13
ewt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 14506
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy Spec.B
DGM

Default

Quote:
... I guess its just cause my personal experience was different with a locksmith ...
Heh-- good point. I am sure most of the professional guys are pretty good at this, so might not be representative. Then again, I would bet the thieves in the bigger cities might be even faster ;-).

Eric
ewt is offline  
Old 04-21-2003, 01:59 PM   #14
Brad Pittiful
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34931
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: A Town Called Malice
Vehicle:
. .
This ain't no picnic!

Default Re: Owning a US Spec STi: Theft and Vandalism Concerns

Quote:
Originally posted by Overboosted STi
Now that the US market is going to be able to buy these cars I wonder how theft rates and vandalism is gonna be?

I'm a current Integra GSR owner and rarely park my car on the street especially in NYC. I know lots of people with ITR's that have gotten stolen or vandalized.

I'm kinda afraid that when i get mine that I still will have to be very cautious as to where I park it.

Anyhows I plan to keep full coverage on the car to protect my investment.
I try to be very careful when parking in lots...where i park at work some one dinged my fender with their door a month after i got it...people dont care...and if they have kids they dont know...so im very careful..and i got a total of three dings...but thatnks to doctor dent they r all fixed
Brad Pittiful is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My own spy shot: 2008 US Spec. Smart Car CBoldman Off-Topic 34 08-04-2006 08:32 PM
Fujitsubo Exhaust System US SPEC (Header, Downpipe and Cat Back) - In Stock !!! RavSpec Engine/Power/Exhaust 46 07-11-2005 12:06 PM
j-spec and us-spec subbyspeed Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain 1 08-28-2002 03:27 AM
('93-'01) question about J-Spec and US-Spec WRX engine FuJi K Impreza Forum 6 07-10-2001 11:49 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.