Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-22-2003, 07:06 PM   #1
ButtDyno
Street's closed, pizza boy

Member#: 17301
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
is the "dark side"
06 Evo #7 STU, 03 IS300

Default Good suspension intro for n00bs?

I've been on the board for a while, but I'm still relatively clueless about all the varying pieces that go into a suspension (struts, springs, control arms, etc etc) - and the way they impact performance. Howstuffworks seems to only cover sway bars.

What would be even cooler is something Subaru specific that went over the various upgrades and what they really ultimately do, but I'd be more than happy with something generic so I don't have the usual "I've gone crosseyed" look on my face when people are talking about their suspensions...

thanks

-bd
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ButtDyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 05:18 AM   #2
teiva-boy
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22825
Chapter/Region: NWIC

Number one thing... Upgrading the driver and the tires. There is no better modification. I dont care if you dropped $3000 on coilovers. There is a driver out there that can hand you your butt in a stock car.
teiva-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:49 AM   #3
mbiker97
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7922
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
04 CTS-V b/b/b
99 GMC Highrider

I do an abbreviated list for starters.

1. Swaybars - Probably affect the handling characteristics more than any other change (yes it's argueable though with tires). A good first suspension mod is a larger rear sway bar. Many options are out there but an adjustable bar is usually the way to go unless you KNOW exactly what YOU want. A larger (stiffer) rear bar increases oversteer. Sometimes too much, and that is why you want adjustable. A larger front bar increases understeer. I personally have a larger front and rear to decrease the lean of the car considerably but still maintain very neutral handling traits.

2. Springs - Change the ride height normally giving a lower center of gravity. This decreases lean in turns. The stiffer spring rates also decrease the lean. This is a good choice for many people that want a "sportier" ride. When you lower the car many times the camber of the wheels also increases giving better handling characteristics.

3. Shock/Struts/Coilovers - The ultimate change. Upgrading your shock and struts will change everything about the way your car handles. A good upgrade for most people is to buy a set of STi takeoffs and use those. Coilovers make for a great track setup, but is generally too stiff for everyday driving. Initial setup is also difficult with a coilover setup.

Hope this helps. I know more, but I'm not sure how indepth you wanted this to get.
mbiker97 is offline   Reply With Quote