Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2003, 08:37 PM   #1
Lowball
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24198
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Wagon Mafia - OG
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sport Wag
Black to reality.

Arrow question on my S-03's (see photo)

I had a question about tire wear. If you look at this photo the area where the red lines are...that area is acutally higher than the rest of the tread on the tire. This is typical of all 4 tires. Then at the area where I have the blue line, that is a little ridge of melted rubber and that is on all 4 tires as well.

Is this caused by tire pressure or alignment? Right now when the tires are cold the pressure is only at 31 psi. That is what I was running at the track yesterday. I didn't check the pressure after any hot laps...

See IMG below.

Any help would be great.

Lowball

P.S. sorry about the photo size...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Lowball; 04-21-2003 at 08:23 PM.
Lowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 08:41 PM   #2
BobbyD
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 27262
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Yay Area, CA
Vehicle:
02 WRX
WRB

Default

the picture doesnt work
--bobby
edit: works now
BobbyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
mch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30039
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: still, colder than you, vt
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon
dirt slvr

Default

Photo still no work.

What are your alignment specs?

Cold tire pressure by itself does not tell us enough.
mch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 05:19 PM   #4
Lowball
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24198
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Wagon Mafia - OG
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sport Wag
Black to reality.

Default

I can see the photo...

I'll check my alignment specs. and repost.
Lowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 06:59 PM   #5
Lowball
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24198
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Wagon Mafia - OG
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sport Wag
Black to reality.

Default alignment specs

This is what it says on my invoice from the alignment shop:

Align front end - road test vehicle
Front camber is 0 -- not adjustable
Align rear & set tracking
Rear camber -1.25

That's it.

Lowball

P.S. if you still can't see the photo then try clicking here...

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/4167b...kCfo.AMNm6SGLM

Last edited by Lowball; 04-20-2003 at 07:05 PM.
Lowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 08:06 PM   #6
ellisnc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4229
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dublin, OH, USA
Vehicle:
2003 S2000
Did someone say track day

Default

if your front is set to zero camber that's your problem

the front is adjustable, it's partially your fault for not knowing anything before letting someone else work on the car

my front camber is set to around 2.5 degrees negative in the front and only then do I get decent tire wear and grip on the track

I still can't see the pictures though
ellisnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 09:01 PM   #7
Lowball
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24198
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Wagon Mafia - OG
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sport Wag
Black to reality.

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ellisnc
if your front is set to zero camber that's your problem

the front is adjustable, it's partially your fault for not knowing anything before letting someone else work on the car

my front camber is set to around 2.5 degrees negative in the front and only then do I get decent tire wear and grip on the track

I still can't see the pictures though
It seems to be happening on all 4 tires. I don't know anything about alignment but I did tell them what I wanted and they said the front was not adjustible. I have aftermarket STi struts, could that be part of the problem?

But you are saying I should have more negative camber in the front?

What is a good setting for both track and street?

LB
Lowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 10:58 PM   #8
mch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30039
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: still, colder than you, vt
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon
dirt slvr

Default

I believe if the rear camber is not adjustable unless you have installed camber bolts. The front camber is adjustable though the CASTOR is not.

What is the toe (in/out - Front/rear)??

Who installed your STi suspension?

You need to to find another alignment shop. These people do not seem to know their business.



btw. your picture still does not display.
mch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 11:12 PM   #9
Lowball
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24198
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Wagon Mafia - OG
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sport Wag
Black to reality.

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mch
I believe if the rear camber is not adjustable unless you have installed camber bolts. The front camber is adjustable though the CASTOR is not.

What is the toe (in/out - Front/rear)??

Who installed your STi suspension?

You need to to find another alignment shop. These people do not seem to know their business.

btw. your picture still does not display.
I seem to agree about the alignment shop. I'll be looking ASAP.

I installed the STi suspension with written help from Wayne @ AVSport. Then I took it to get an alignment and they said it was way off and adjusted it to the settings listed. They didn't list teh toe in/out - front/rear. There are not any subaru performance shops in my area so it's kinda hard to know where to take it. I just took it to a brake and alignment shop that had been around for a long time and works on a lot of lowered cars. There are some import performance shops but just not any subaru ones.

LB

Don't know what's up the with photo...
Lowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 05:52 AM   #10
ellisnc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4229
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dublin, OH, USA
Vehicle:
2003 S2000
Did someone say track day

Default

What I'm saying is don't be dumb and find out for yourself where the adjustment points are on the car, then when they tell you some stupid crap like they told you, you can tell them how to adjust the car.

I'd say judging from your experience, you could have installed the eccentric bolts in the wrong places so when the guy at the shop went to look they weren't there and then they said it's not adjustable. Just one possibility.

One word of advice, I realize not everyone is mechanically inclined and some are more noobish than others, but if you're too lazy to spend the time to think about how the car's alignment is adjusted and where it's adjusted before you take it in (being that you just changed the suspension out) then you're going to get taken all the time like you just were.
ellisnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 03:55 PM   #11
DDMan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 11221
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Rocklin, California
Vehicle:
2002 2.5 RS
Black as Midnight!!!

Default

Links still no worky

But here is my take on it.

1. Make sure everything is in the right place (escentric bolts and all) and take it back, throw the paper in their face, and have them RE-Align youre car with a FULL spec printout before AND after (For Free of course). I have never heard of an alignment shop NOT printing out a full sheet for you to take home (has L/R, F/R camber, toe, and castor...along with how its all centered).

The alignment should have at least a 30 day warranty (even if not, they did the work incorrectly and screwed up).
Also, how much did you pay? Where did u go? I had guys do the same thing to me, and they said it couldnt be adjusted. I went back and got it re-aligned for free after I told them off.
DDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 04:34 PM   #12
Lowball
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24198
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Wagon Mafia - OG
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sport Wag
Black to reality.

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by DDMan
Links still no worky

But here is my take on it.

1. Make sure everything is in the right place (escentric bolts and all) and take it back, throw the paper in their face, and have them RE-Align youre car with a FULL spec printout before AND after (For Free of course). I have never heard of an alignment shop NOT printing out a full sheet for you to take home (has L/R, F/R camber, toe, and castor...along with how its all centered).

The alignment should have at least a 30 day warranty (even if not, they did the work incorrectly and screwed up).
Also, how much did you pay? Where did u go? I had guys do the same thing to me, and they said it couldnt be adjusted. I went back and got it re-aligned for free after I told them off.
DDMan-

Thanks for responding. Where did you take yours to get aligned?

On the eccentric strut bolts, they can only go in at one location but I guess I could have put them in upside down or something. Does it make a differance?

I think it's been over 30-days but I guess I can still take it back and see what they say and point out all the alignment points...if I knew where they all were

Lowball
Lowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:02 PM   #13
Lowball
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24198
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Wagon Mafia - OG
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sport Wag
Black to reality.

Unhappy The photo for the last time I hope




Last edited by Lowball; 04-21-2003 at 07:09 PM.
Lowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:15 PM   #14
DDMan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 11221
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Rocklin, California
Vehicle:
2002 2.5 RS
Black as Midnight!!!

Default

My alignment had a 90 day warranty (most are 90 days). I got it done at Clarks Frame and Body here in Roseville. If that wear is tire pressure, it would be overinflation, but if youre at 31, then youre 100% safe. Definately get the alignment checked out.

Here are the adjustment points (for front):

Camber: Top bolt where strut conncts to wheel hub. Escentric bolt, rotate to change camber.
Toe: Adjust tie-rod's. Loosen lut, then rotate in or out.
Caster: Non-adjustable

Rear Points:
Camber: Non adj. unless you have a camber kit
Toe: Where the rear lateral link connects to the rear subframe, rotate the large bolt.

For Putting the bolts in backwards...I dont think the escentric bolt would fit in the bottom spot. It also SOULDNT matter if it were backwards, but there is a front and back where its "supposed" to be. The bolt face should be facing the back of the car, the nut should be towards the front. Hope this helps!
DDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:22 PM   #15
Lowball
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24198
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Wagon Mafia - OG
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sport Wag
Black to reality.

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by DDMan
My alignment had a 90 day warranty (most are 90 days). I got it done at Clarks Frame and Body here in Roseville. If that wear is tire pressure, it would be overinflation, but if youre at 31, then youre 100% safe. Definately get the alignment checked out.

Here are the adjustment points (for front):

Camber: Top bolt where strut conncts to wheel hub. Escentric bolt, rotate to change camber.
Toe: Adjust tie-rod's. Loosen lut, then rotate in or out.
Caster: Non-adjustable

Rear Points:
Camber: Non adj. unless you have a camber kit
Toe: Where the rear lateral link connects to the rear subframe, rotate the large bolt.

For Putting the bolts in backwards...I dont think the escentric bolt would fit in the bottom spot. It also SOULDNT matter if it were backwards, but there is a front and back where its "supposed" to be. The bolt face should be facing the back of the car, the nut should be towards the front. Hope this helps!
Thanks DDMan. I have it all installed correctly then. I just matched the stock set up when I took it out and I only did one side at a time for reference, so I should be all good. Just my alignment shop must suck and not know how to work on Subaru's correctly. I may try Motor Sport Dy, they said only 70 bucks. Or I may take it back to the original shop and see if they can fix it with me telling them how to do it

Thanks again and this matter is closed!
Lowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 11:33 PM   #16
wylie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 7387
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon
blue

Default

Lowball,

Are both outer edges of your tire higher than the center, ie. the center is worn the most? If yes, then you were over inflated and/or got your tires too hot. I saw exactly what you have on a set of S0-3s on the track. Except in my case I checked the cold pressure at sea level and then went to 4000 feet or so and overheated my tires on the track (Spring Mountain, Pahrump NV).

Also: Bridgestone uses different rubber compounds at different depth levels of the tread (read the descriptions on the Tire Rack website), and my feeling is the center is a softer compound or more susceptible to overheating on the track.

Next time you are at the track, check your tire pressures when hot. You will gain 5-8 psi from your cold temperatures.

Tire wear due to alignment issues (toe or camber) would wear one side of the tire more than the other.
wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 02:38 AM   #17
Lowball
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24198
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Wagon Mafia - OG
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sport Wag
Black to reality.

Default

Quote:
Are both outer edges of your tire higher than the center, ie. the center is worn the most? If yes, then you were over inflated and/or got your tires too hot. I saw exactly what you have on a set of S0-3s on the track. Except in my case I checked the cold pressure at sea level and then went to 4000 feet or so and overheated my tires on the track (Spring Mountain, Pahrump NV).
Wylie-

That is very interesting as well. I only had my tires inflated to about 31 on all 4. So I'm sure it may have be the "to hot" part of the deal.

All four tires are are seeing the same ware patern. It's from the inter edge closest to the strut and the to the 2nd to last outer edge.

Lowball
Lowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
clutch question on my 6speed in my wrx evo 3ater Subaru Conversions 13 08-12-2009 05:46 PM
I did it, I just put C on every question on my final.... Keith Off-Topic 21 12-16-2003 02:09 AM
Quick question on my speeding ticket... Beam Tri-State Area Forum 4 06-12-2003 12:30 AM
question on my suspension plan.. RChampion Brakes, Steering & Suspension 0 05-31-2003 01:59 AM
Some questions on my Compression test : MINO Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 7 08-21-2002 12:55 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.