Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday November 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-14-2003, 04:39 AM   #1
wlelandj
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15127
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Default WRX Manual-to-Automatic?

I hope this is in the right place. It was a toss-up between here and the trans forum. Anyway, I was wondering what would be needed to do this. I figure the transmission (obviously), auto trans mount, Computer for auto equipped WRX's..what else? I was considering having one "built" plus I've never endeared myself to the manuals performance/operation.
-Leland
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
wlelandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 08:16 AM   #2
Kha0S
Scooby Guru

Member#: 8808
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX (DGM 5D)
2002 WRX/2003 SVTF

* short propshaft
* new rear differential (4.111 if you go to WRX 4EAT)
* new transmission crossmember
* starter
* wiring (new speed sensor path through TCU, neutral sense, etc.)
* inhibitor switch (shifter) assembly and cable
* new brake pedal assembly
* possibly a new ECU (jury is still out on this one)
* engine drive plate (flexplate)
* torque converter

I'm currently going in the opposite direction.

/Andrew
Kha0S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 10:47 AM   #3
wlelandj
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15127
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Thanks for the info. Man, I had no idea! Maybe I'll rethink that Gimmie Gears gear set
-Leland
wlelandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 11:06 AM   #4
Kha0S
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2011 WRX (DGM 5D)
2002 WRX/2003 SVTF

Heh, certainly, going from AT to MT is easier than the other direction, and even that is shaping up to be a really big project. So far, I have the old drivetrain ripped out, and I have the local driveline shop working on the rear differential.

Tomorrow is a trip to the junkyard to find lots of little odds and ends to keep the project rolling. Two decent days of work just to remove the old driveline components... it's amazing how many of those bolts seize up over time.

If you don't do the labor yourself, expect at least 20 hours of pro labor, up to 40. The only reasonable route is to go through a shop with a "large job" flat rate. Parts are going to be deep into the thousands for new parts. still $2k or so even if you buy used/junkyard.

/Andrew
Old 05-17-2003, 01:52 AM   #5
alvyman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 35581
Vehicle:
02 WRB WRX
96 protege DX!

Hey guys. That sounds really good but one of my friends who went through that swap (AT to MT) said it caused so many problems. Also when he was trying to sell his car, he had to sell it for not even half of kbb price since the transmission didn't match the vin # info. This is what I heard so I think you might have to do some research on resell value or what it might cause.
alvyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 08:09 PM   #6
garface
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1581
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
MY00 RS/STi7
MY01 RS Both Silverthorne

If you're interested in an MY00 RS AT, then I'm selling everything you need for pretty cheap. The only thing you'll need to find is the rear diff. Email me if you decide to do that.
garface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 12:18 PM   #7
Kha0S
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2011 WRX (DGM 5D)
2002 WRX/2003 SVTF

I'm not planning on reselling my WRX.

/Andrew