Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 14, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-14-2003, 03:12 PM   #1
FederalAuditor
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34042
Default Questions about propeller shaft

Does anyone know if there will be any problems fitting a propshaft from a wagon into a sedan? Assuming ratio's are matched of course.

I'm most concerned about lenth...

Anyone have any idea?

J.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
FederalAuditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 04:17 PM   #2
ciper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15543
Vehicle:
90BJ Legacy LS ABS
AWD 946 Rio Red Jpn built

Dont know what vehicles you refer to but on a recent visit to a subaru specific spair part yard I saw MANY different length shafts.

All of them had the same basic design. What happened is subaru has 2 different front half lengths and three different rear half lengths. Assuming the length is the same you wont have problems, Im running a shaft in my car that was intended for a different model.

Dont measure overall length, as some have the same overall length but different positioning of the center bearing. Instead measure from the front joint to the center of the bearing and from the rear joint to the center of the bearing.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 06:08 PM   #3
FederalAuditor
Scooby Newbie

That's some of the most comprehensive advice I've heard in a quite a while ... and I've got some good quality sources too! thanks for your reply.

Just to sure were on the same page:

When I say propshaft, I'm referring to the entire shaft that runs from the tranny to the rear diff.... is this the correct terminology?

&

Its a STI version III motor and tranny going into a 93 impreza "L"... The tranny has a final drive ratio of 4.11 and so does my rear diff...

I want to replace my entire "propshaft" with one that has a center diff (the car is currently automatic, read - no center diff). Since you've said that they all work the same way... assuming I buy a complete unit (both front and rear sections) together, AND the overall length is the same as my old propshaft I should be good to go, correct? I'm thinking "yes," but what about the drive shafts that don't have a 1:1 ratio?

I've also assumed that I have to find a shaft that came from a car that has the same FD ratio as my STI tranny and rear diff... is this a safe assumption?

Hope this helps you help me. =P

jason.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:24 PM   #4
ciper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15543
Vehicle:
90BJ Legacy LS ABS
AWD 946 Rio Red Jpn built

Well, its only Semantics but I think the auto does have a center differential. True it doesnt have a set of spider gears and such, but the simple definition of a differential is that it allows it to spin at different speeds. Anyways that part doesnt matter.

The splines in the output of the transmisison and the mounting plate on the rear differential hasnt changed as far as I know. The center bearing is the same basic setup. The only difference is some have the rubber bushings built in to the mount while others have it seperate (an easy detail to mod around).

Propshaft is the correct way to refer to it as far as I know, Driveshaft as well. Some people like to call axles driveshafts but I think that is incorrect.

If you buy a popshaft that is the correct overall length it may not work. Most likely it will but I saw two of the same length that had the bearing in differen places.

Think of it this way (numbers are made up for example). Front half of shaft is 20 inches long while rear is 18 inches. Now take another one that has a 16 inch front half and a 22 inch rear half. They both have the same overall length but the center bearing is in the wrong place

You will see that most differentials have three U-joints. However for some models subaru used u-joints on the end and a CV joint in the middle! If the lengths are correct one of these would work, functionally I would think this to be the better design as well.

If you find a used unit with rust on the front "spline tube?" make sure to get ALL the rust off! That smooth surface sits against a seal that prevents the fluid from leaking out. What the heck is that part called anyways? In front of the front most shaft that is smooth on the outside and splined on the inside?

Its sort of a pain dissasembling the unit when the bearing or joints fail, thats why I got a used unit! I just took some fine grit sand paper and some of the gritty hand cleaner to remove the rust and bolted everything up.

Where are you located?
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 11:31 PM   #5
FederalAuditor
Scooby Newbie

Default light bulb above my head.

oooohh.. I get it now! You're saying the center diff has to be in a certain place under the car! Now your original post makes perfect sense.

"The splines in the output of the transmisison and the mounting plate on the rear differential hasnt changed as far as I know. The center bearing is the same basic setup. The only difference is some have the rubber bushings built in to the mount while others have it seperate (an easy detail to mod around)."

Is the above to say that any subaru propshaft will match up to any subaru car (assuming the bearing position is in the right place)? Sorry if you're feeling like a broken record, I just want to make sure I'm understanding you clearly.

So far, it sounds pretty straight forward...

I'm from Toronto Canada... eh?