Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday May 27, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-26-2003, 09:30 PM   #1
Schludwiller
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 22066
Vehicle:
1999 BD-GT 30Yr Std
Black

Default Stock wheels: powedercoat vs paint

Both might be equally prohibitive, but does anyone have cost and quality info on powerdercoating or painting GT 16" wheels? I'm not worried about having to pull the tires first as I am getting new ones.

Thanks,
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2003, 08:40 AM   #2
Legacy777
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4800
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy & 97 OBS
AWD 6MT EJ22T AWIC Swap

How would you have them painted?

Powdercoat will most likely be much more durable and look pretty darn good.
Legacy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:08 PM   #3
TGycageL0002
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 9116
Vehicle:
2000 Legacy
Timberline Green Pearl

ill give you the same advice I gave another guy.....

powdercoat all that you can!!! I had my 18's done about a year ago, and that ran me $300... it was this high because they had to mask off a bunch of stuff for me to get the look that I wanted. From what I have heard, a good price is around $200 give or take.... depends on color, availability, quality of the shop etc. The only problem with masking is that there is no tape currently out there that can 100% guarentee that the powdercoating wont seep a little. The shop that did mine had to do one over 2 times becasue of this. After talking to three separate shops on the masking issue, I am counting this as good info, any shop that tells you that it wont seep at all is one that I would personally question.

As for paint... even with all of the hardeners, coats, coats of clears, and specality paints, the fact ramains that prep work is key. Paint is not as strong as pwdercoating, but you can get a few more colors out of paint. You should consider who else will be driving you car, and where you do most of your driving at.

One last point... run a fingernail across the paint on the underside of your bumper, that's the "hardest" paint on you car, it too scratches pretty easy. Powdercoat your rims, it last forever, and it just falt out kicks tail

Ryan
TGycageL0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 06:36 PM   #4
Schludwiller
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 22066
Vehicle:
1999 BD-GT 30Yr Std
Black

Thanks. Wasn't sure about the painting. We do it with offroading wheels, but obviously arent' concerned with asthetics as much there.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 10:15 PM   #5
ws6fiero
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33067
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy Wagon
Spruce Pearl

I don't know if this will help or not, but I am currently using gold powdercoated WRX wheels and they look absolutely FANTASTIC!!! I had no real previous experience with powdercoated stuff and these were much better than I expected them to be. The surface finish is excellent and it looks basically the same, if not better, than a metallic paint. I ended up going to a few tire shops trying to get tires mounted up and every single person that saw the wheels commented on how good they looked! I also love the thought of my wheels' finish outlasting the car body.

Unfortunately I can't give you details on price and finding a shop because I wasn't the person who had them powdercoated. Another member on the boards, FreeBMW, was the person who went through all the trouble. You might PM him if you still have more questions.
ws6fiero is offline   Reply With Quote