|11-11-2000, 10:08 AM||#1|
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Carlisle, Pa, USA
'Hazy Or Frosted' headlight solutions
*Okay* When I first bought my SVX the headlights were not in the best of shape. From the wear of driving they had become 'frosted' or 'hazed' over. How good would you look over time if you had to constantly run into bugz and other road debris at highway speeds for many years? To have replaced them seemed excessive and very expensive. Down below are some of the solutions that I have encountered from other SVX owners at the Yahoo! SVX Club. From what I've read they all work really good and are quite easy to do. On the plus side they are also pretty cheap!!!
1. Novus makes a polish kit to remove severe scratches and nicks. The kit consists of three bottles(can be bought seperately). Novus #3 is to remove the more severe scratches and marks. If your headlights are not that bad you could probably skip this one. Number 2 is for finer scratches and marks. Number 1 is not a scratch or marks remover but instead is basically a top coat or a sealer/protector. It will help keep the headlights from 'rehazing' or 'refrosting'. For a more thourough description visit their site at: http://www.novuspolish.com
2. Believe it or not to get rid off the hazing I used BRASSO. I would like to thank the person who mentioned it at the Yahho site but I forget who it was To use the BRASSO method all you have to do are a couple of simple steps
1. Clean the headlights real good so you do not create more scratches. Simple!
2. Shake the BRASSO real good to mix it up. Simple!
3. Apply a liberal amount of the BRASSO to a clean, lint free, cloth. Apply it the first time in a back and forth and then a up and down motion.
4. Let dry (This step allows your hand to rest for a moment -- lol)
4. Wipe off the powdery residue with a clean rag.
5. Reapply the BRASSO but in a small(smaller the better) circular pattern.
6. Let dry (I'm sure you know why )
7. Wipe off the residue with a clean rag.
8. Reclean the headlights as you did in step one to make sure you got it all off.
The following steps are optional but will make all your effort last a lot longer.
9. After the headlights have dried from cleaning them apply a coat of RAIN-X.
10. Allow to dry
11. Buff off with a clean rag
12. Repeat 10 and 11 to make sure you have full coverage.
*Okay* After using the BRASSO and RAIN-X method my headlights are as close to factory new as there going to be. Sure there are a couple of nicks the BRASSO could not remove but my headlight covers went from where I could not see the bulbs to a very almost crystal clear. I CAN SEE MY BULBS and everything behind the covers. A dramatic difference!!!!!!!!!!! The front end of the car also seems to look alot better when the headlights are extremely shiny and reflective
P.S. If anyone has any other products that they have used please post them. Also if any of the above steps are unclear(not like my headlight covers) please feel free to ask
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
|11-11-2000, 03:01 PM||#3|
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Roseville, Ca, USAVehicle:
98 BK-GT White
'97 SVX Ebony Pearl
This would be a great General Topic Post!! I'm glad I try to keep up with what's going on with you SVX'ers, as I helped steer my Sister-in-Law into a 93 25th Anniversary Edition, and have wished every time I've driven it that it was MINE, MINE, MINE!!!! Sorry, just a little SVXtreme envy showing! Love your rides!!! Glenn
|11-11-2000, 03:12 PM||#4|
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Bangor, PA, USA
I also used the Novus 3-2-1 and got great results. It didn't seem to work at first by hand. Then I used my car polisher/waxer and was very satisfied. Another SVX owner was also impressed with my results.
The process only took about 15 minutes.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|WTB - stock headlights or Koji'd headlights - 02/03 WRX||hatchd||Private 'Wanted' Classifieds||1||02-24-2009 12:09 AM|
|FL: 06 wrx/sti Need Clear headlight lense or passenger headlight ASAP cash in hand||All4bSpinnin||Private 'Wanted' Classifieds||36||04-22-2008 09:30 AM|
|Ban bwaxman1980, or find a solution (hopefully the latter...)||nxttruck2002||Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC||18||07-02-2006 07:28 PM|
|WTT: '05 Painted White Headlights for any '04 or '05 Headlights||nate.the.great||Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC||0||05-25-2005 07:58 PM|
|WTB: prodrive headlights or UK300 headlights||dorifto88||Private 'Wanted' Classifieds||4||01-25-2004 04:43 AM|