Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Outback Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-27-2003, 10:04 AM   #1
Oquipah
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 9689
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy GT
Silver

Question Tire Replacement?

My GF decided that it was time to replace her tires....since two of them have NO TREAD at all!!!

Ugh.

Anyway it's a '00 Outback Sedan with OEM Firestone Wilderness Tires (225/60/r16). Looking at Tire Rack best sellers include the Kumho Ecsta HP4 716's and the Dunlop Sport A2's. I have the Dunlop's on my 98 GT and they seem to be wearing rather quickly.

Anyone here running the Kumho's that can comment? If not what did you replace the OEM with? Please keep in mind that the driver will not be driving spiritedly like most of us here and price is always a factor.

Thanks for your help!

Peace,
Oquipah
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Oquipah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:32 PM   #2
Dave G
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 4738
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 Baja Turbo
Blue

Oquipah,
I have a 2002 Legacy Outback, with the same size tires, and I live just a little bit east of you in Chester County PA. I have the original equipment tires, plus I use Dunlop Wintersport M2 tires for the winter. I know that may not be an answer to your question right now, but I wanted to give you my thoughts.
My wife drives the Outback, and she also does not drive aggressively (unlike most of us on these boards). She was very uncomfortable in the Outback with the original tires (Bridgestone RE92) in snow, so I ordered the winter tires. They are great in the snow. The winter tires were only $100 each at TireRack.

Here is what you may be more interested in:
I also have a '97 Legacy GT, and I do not put winter tires on it. After my third set of RE92's, I wanted something that was good in both summer AND winter.
I bought Dunlop SP5000 tires (the size is 205-55-16, but that doesn't matter). I grew up in Buffalo NY, and I've driven in a lot of snow all over the country. These SP5000 tires are the best all-season tires I've ever driven on in the snow. They are certainly no match for dedicated winter tires, but for an all-season tire, I have to say they were terrific in snow. They are terrific in rain as well. The dry pavement grip is great too. The only downside is that they have soft sidewalls, so for an aggressive driver, they take some getting used to. I initially hated the soft feel of them in the summer. I grew to really like them in the winter, and I am now used to them, so I am back to driving aggressively with confidence; I just had to adapt to them.
I've had the SP5000's for almost two years, and I now have over 32,000 miles on them, and they probably have another 10,000 miles to go. The max pressure listed on the sidewall is 51psi, and I can tell you that you'll need at least 45psi to get them to feel right, and to avoid underinflated wear patterns. This is all due to the very soft sidewalls (which give a softer ride than the RE92's).
If you only want one set of tires, I cannot recommend the Dunlop SP5000 highly enough.
I checked TireRack.com minutes ago, and size 225-60-16 (WR rated) is available at $91 each.
(Oddly enough, the lower speed rated HR version is priced at $111).

Good luck.
Dave G

For those who want to flame me on the tire pressure issue noted above, don't bother. I know what I know, and the whole story was chronicled on AudiWorld, and I got confirmation from a Dunlop engineer. The tire pressures with SP5000 tires have to be far higher than what you are used to. Its that simple.
Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:50 AM   #3
Paisan
Tri-State Track Instructor

Member#: 197
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
'14 Touareg TDI '14
BRZ http://48hrs.info

I have to weigh in on the SP5000s.

THEY ARE THE BEST ALLSEASONS I've ever owned. Probably one of the top 5 tires including summer tires I've owned.

I'll put it this way....

Last year during the 48hrs of Tri-state we drove from Albany-> Buffalo in nearly 6-10" of snow on the NYS Thruway. I was running 245-45-16s on my SVX and didn't have a whole lot of trouble in the snow.

48hrs. of Tristate II
48hrs of Tristate I

Then I had them on the SVX @ 2 days on the track at VIR and a warm day at Limerock Park with the BMW Club, passed an M5, and pulled on the M Coupe. Tires never ever gave out on me!

-mike
Paisan is offline   Reply With Quote