Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-28-2003, 02:55 AM   #1
eastcoastbumps
Scooby Guru

Member#: 29201
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
BMW M3
Honda S2000x2

Default Turbo XS BOV problems/questions

I just bought a used Type H BOV from a local guy. I installed it in about two minutes and it was working fine. I had nothing to do the other day so I took it apart, cleaned it and re-greased it. It looked like it needed it.

I think I might have put it back together wrong. Every once in a while it doesn't release. It happened twice in 5 miles of stop and go suburban driving. It happens when I'm at about 4000-6000 rpm and let off the gas. I don't hear it release and my engine climbs another 500rpms or so after I let off the gas comletely.

Does anyone have detailed pictures on how to put one together? I didn't get any instructions with it. I used lube for rebuilding suspension forks on mountain bikes. I had some lying around and I figured it worked in the same way. (Two metal cylinders, one sliding inside the other)

Should I have used a different type of grease? WD-40? Astroglide?

I'm going to put my stock bypass valve back on tomorrow and wait until I have detailed insructions on how to put it back together before re-installing it.

Thanks,
Pete
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
eastcoastbumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 09:54 AM   #2
eastcoastbumps
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
BMW M3
Honda S2000x2

anyone?
Old 05-28-2003, 10:06 AM   #3
gjhsu
Scooby Guru

Member#: 12329
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2o15 WRX
Ice Silver

I don't have any detailed pics, but it's got to be one of the most easy things to do. hold the 'head' upside down, put in as many washers as you needed for the right amount of release, then put in the spring. Compress the spring in with the main body, and screw in with the two screws.

When you installed it, make sure you put the vaccuum hose back on, that's pretty important. Also, after you let off the gas, the extra 500 RPM or so of rev is normal.

As for it not releasing. Most of the time (for me anyway) in stop and go traffic, I'm not on throttle enough to build much boost. Boost isn't dependant ONLY on revs, so while you may be at 4000-6000 RPM, if your foot wasn't planted, you're not building boost (if you have a boost gauge you can see exactly how much you are or are not building)
gjhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 05:13 PM   #4
eastcoastbumps
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
BMW M3
Honda S2000x2

I know that just a little rise in revs is normal. What my car is doing is not. It used to do that once in a while. Now it revs WAY higher when the BOV does not release the pressure. I know that I'm in boost because I'm still accelerating at a good clip when it does this.

Does TurboXS recomend a certain number of washers? Or do you guess and check? What is the 'right amount of release?'

I know I should get a boost guage. Thats next on the list. I've removed it. It will sit on a shelf until I get a boost guage.