Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 24, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > SVX Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-13-2000, 09:06 PM   #1
kastle
Frank Army

Member#: 1457
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
1999 Outback Sport
Steel Blue Mica

Question anyone drain / change coolant?

First off, I did do a search. Then I went to the garage and got the manual to do some reading. Now, I ask of anyone:

Has anyone drained / changed their coolant?

The manual states there is a drainplug on the bottom of the radiator. They suggest having the car cool, opening the radiator cap, then draining the coolant from the drain cap.

Anyone done this?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2000, 09:12 PM   #2
Pski
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1696
Greetings,

No. But I have wanted to try it myself. My question is...many autoparts stores sell a "coolant cleaner" product which is supposed to dissolve deposits left in the radiotor by contaminants. Of course the product states that it is safe for all radiators but has anyone tried it? I don't want it to eat a hole in the plumbing.

Pski

BTW I plan on using DexCool despite others stating that "once green always green".

Rebel without a clue!!!
Old 11-19-2000, 08:33 PM   #3
kastle
Frank Army

Vehicle:
1999 Outback Sport
Steel Blue Mica

Question

anyone?
Old 11-20-2000, 07:54 AM   #4
svxxx-26
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1645
Yes, I have drained/filled the coolant several times (once a year).
It's a pretty simple operation. There is a drain on bottom of the radiator, passenger side. Open it up and start it draining, then open the radiator cap (do this while it's cool). Since you're dealing with a plastic drain, be careful not to apply too much torque when you are loosening and tightening.
I also remove the coolant expansion tank to drain and flush it out real good - you'll find some sediment will collect there.
After letting it drain, button it up and refill with a 50/50 mix antifreeze/distilled water SLOWLY. Fill to the full line in the expansion tank too. Start it up, let it run and check for leaks. For the first day or two, check the level in the expansion tank - the cooling system will suck up some of it to replace air that got into the system when you drained.
As for cleaners, I don't know. Since the above procedure doesn't drain 100% of the coolant, I've never wanted to introduce something I couldn't get out. Besides, if you do this every year and the system is clean to start out with, you shouldn't need it.
Old 11-20-2000, 08:04 AM   #5
kastle
Frank Army

Vehicle:
1999 Outback Sport
Steel Blue Mica

Talking

Thanks for the most excellent information. I am planning on doing it this weekend sometime and it's reassuring to know someone has successfully done it.
Old 11-20-2000, 08:15 AM   #6
Pski
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1696
Greetings,

RE: coolant cleaner...

The instructions read to drain...flush with water...then the cleaner...then flush with water until it runs clear. Lastly replace with your antifreeze/water mix (50/50 probably isn't the best ratio in Artic North Dakota). I would think that very little would remain in the system if this is done.

Pski
Old 11-21-2000, 02:12 AM   #7
Never2phat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1683
Thumbs up

Hell if it's that easy then I'll do mine this weekend. I'll make arrangements with my grandfather tommorrow to use his garage because I have no plans on freezing my you know what

On a lil side note.........Did you know that you can put window washer fluid in your coolant expansion tank and have no ill side affects? Don't ask The only thing I will say is that the person who did it to my car no longer works at the dealership!!!

B.C.
Old 11-21-2000, 06:32 AM   #8
svxxx-26
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1645
Wink

Don't tell me - when you go to wash the windshield antifreeze sprays out?
(Just another confidence-building story from our dealers)
Old 11-21-2000, 08:20 AM   #9
Never2phat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1683
Smile

Bwahahahahahah. Thankfully he didn't top off my windshield washer fluid resevour with antifreeze. That could have been a lil precarious. I really do not know how one could confuse the two caps. I think Subaru made it pretty obvious which type of fluid goes where.

B.C.