Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday October 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > SVX Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-20-2000, 08:30 AM   #1
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1610
Post Power Steering

A turkey baster makes the perfect tool for removing power steering fluid from the resovior. The resovior contains 0.3L of fluid, and the complete system holds 1.0L, so you have to do a transmission type thing (replace some, run car, replace some, run car...)

Be sure to use DEXTRON-II, not Dextron-III. Lucky for us Redline makes synthetic Dextron-II. Unlucky for us it runs about US$9.00 a bottle.

When using the baster to siphon out the fluid, cover the area around the hole with a rag to prevent drippage onto your EG33.

[This message has been edited by CRZ_MSL (edited November 20, 2000).]
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-20-2000, 08:36 AM   #2
svxxx-26
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1645
Hey, sounds like a great idea.
A question: Why Dexron II instead of III? Isn't it an upgrade?
Old 11-20-2000, 08:50 AM   #3
glenstiles
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 2827
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver, baby, silver

I thought the same thing- Dextron III is the update for Dextron II? Will it hurt anything if Dextron III is in there? When I had a leaky P/S return line replaced, I had the mechanic put in Mobil 1 synthetic Dextron III, I'm pretty sure of it...

Glen
Old 11-20-2000, 01:14 PM   #4
svxxx-26
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1645
I think when the manual was printed Dexron III didn't exist yet. This thread was on Yahoo a while back and it was mentioned that III had replaced II. I don't know what the difference would be.
Old 11-20-2000, 02:10 PM   #5
zensvx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1704
Vehicle:
1992 SVX LS-L

Thumbs up

FYI I have been using a Dexron III ever since I had to replace my return line and have not had a problem.

Wanna know how to drain the power steering system completely? Have your return line split while you are driving home
Old 11-20-2000, 03:05 PM   #6
glenstiles
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver, baby, silver

ha! I was dropping my car off at the mechanic to have some synthetic fluid put in the tranny- pull in and he says "sounds like your power steering is noisy" I'm like "oh", and while the car is idling and the invoice is being written up, smoke starts pouring outta the car!!! I turn it off, and turns out it was the P/S return line which decided to burst- it decided to erupt at the mechanics!
I had plenty of extra synthetic fluid for the power steering, since I was getting the tranny flushed...saved me a trip and possibly a tow!!! Knock on that "wood" in the SVX...

Glen
Old 11-20-2000, 09:32 PM   #7
glenstiles
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver, baby, silver

Oh, and Dextron III is staying in there- should be fine...(crosses fingers)

Glen
Old 11-21-2000, 12:27 AM   #8
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1610
Re Dexron II/III, the manual says Dexron II. I have found places that sell Dexron II few and far between... the only place that had it was the place that had the Redline synthetic Dexron II.

It may be that Dexron II has been preety much discontinued in favor of the newer Dexron III.

But... the manual says Dexron II, so in to the tank it went.

Also, I forget who asked, but the light in the center lock switch DOES light up.