Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-04-2003, 10:40 AM   #1
NotFast
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 10119
Default Okay, what does "turning rotors" mean?

It's been bugging me for awhile. Why is it called "turning"? Because they put the rotor on a lathe and "turn" it while removing a thin layer of metal?

Or is this one of those misnomers? 'Cause, in reality, my rotors turn every time I drive my car. Or maybe I'm "spinning" my rotors when I drive?

Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 10:43 AM   #2
North Ursalia
Miss You Mom
Oct 1940 - Feb 2008

Super Moderator

Member#: 809
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS, '14 For
92 5MT SVX

Default Re: Okay, what does "turning rotors" mean?

Quote:
Originally posted by NotFast
Because they put the rotor on a lathe and "turn" it while removing a thin layer of metal?
You answered your own question

Brian

North Ursalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 12:41 PM   #3
Mean
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12116
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Sedona Red Pearl

Something not known very well is that rotors need to be broken in again after turning them. That is, heat them up with some firm 60-5 mph non-ABS braking exercises and then let them cool. It's not just brake pads that need breaking in.

G
Mean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 01:19 PM   #4
HndaTch627
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6551
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'01 GC8 Dinged STM
'09 Concours 14 ABS Black

Quote:
Originally posted by Mean
Something not known very well is that rotors need to be broken in again after turning them. That is, heat them up with some firm 60-5 mph non-ABS braking exercises and then let them cool. It's not just brake pads that need breaking in.

G
that's a great way to glaze them on the first use.

drive it normally, no excessively hard breaking, but you don't have to drive it like grandma.

Jeremy
HndaTch627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:09 AM   #5
Mean
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12116
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Sedona Red Pearl

From Stop Tech:

"Typically, a series of ten increasingly hard stops from 60mph to 5 mph with normal acceleration in between should get the job done for a high performance street pad. During pad or disc break-in, do not come to a complete stop, so plan where and when you do this procedure with care and concern for yourself and the safety of others. If you come to a complete stop before the break-in process is completed there is the chance for non-uniform pad material transfer or pad imprinting to take place and the results will be what the whole process is trying to avoid. Game over.
In terms of stop severity, an ABS active stop would typically be around 0.9 Gs and above, depending on the vehicle. What you want to do is stop at a rate around 0.7 to 0.9 G's. That is a deceleration rate near but below lock up or ABS intervention.
A newly ground disc will require the same sort of bedding in process as a new disc."

G
Mean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 11:30 AM   #6
ws6fiero
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33067
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy Wagon
Spruce Pearl

Actually, you might be interested to know that when you put something on a metal lathe and reduce its outside diameter, that is also called "turning". This might have something to do with the origin of the term.
ws6fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:18 PM   #7
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

The instructions that came with the Brembo rotors I just put on my GF's truck said to take it easy, avoid heavy braking for the first 200km.

PS. A slight bump can set my ABS off with ~.2g braking forces. Which might by why the fuse is now in the ashtray.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote