Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > SVX Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-05-2000, 07:11 PM   #1
glenstiles
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 2827
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver, baby, silver

Post Resistor mod experiments...

Okay, gonna be the guinea pig. I have wired in an 8 ohm, 20 watt resistor in series to increase the resistance. Just did it right now. Did it work? Haven't hammered on the car, just took it around the block, seems to shift *harder* but not like disconnecting the resistor. After another test drive, I'll post the results. Also I'm gonna try adding 50 ohms to see what happens...the quest for answers continues.

Glen
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-05-2000, 10:34 PM   #2
glenstiles
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver, baby, silver

Talking

Update: so far it works! I went ahead and tried a 50 ohm resistor in series instead of an 8 ohm, and it felt like the shifts were firmer, maybe a little on the hard side. There has got to be a happy medium somewhere, maybe around 25 ohms or so. Anyways, the two bits of great news too- first, the 2-3 shift feels great, with no slight rise in revs or feeling of hesitation. Second, no blinking power light. I'll leave this hooked up with the 50 ohm resistor on my commute tomorrow, and see how it does. This may be a nice way to get firmer shifts without actually disconnecting the resistor and getting the hard 1-2 shift.

Glen
Old 12-06-2000, 07:11 AM   #3
Never2phat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1683
Thumbs up

I've got my fingers crossed that this will work. The shifts I have right now(disconected resistor) can be a lil' too jerky at low speeds. I'd be more than happy to try your handy work when you have found a set-up that you like. Keep up the great work

B.C.

P.S. Really appreciate you trying this out on your SVX. When it comes to ohms, watts and such I'm all lost.
Old 12-06-2000, 09:10 AM   #4
Pski
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1696
Greetings,

Would it be possible to make a "dial a resistance" modification? So that one could change the settings from the comfort of your driver's seat? I assume a on/off switch would be fairly simple...but how about one with variable resistance?

Pski
Old 12-06-2000, 09:53 AM   #5
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1610
Question

Where are you going to find a rheostat that can handle the required wattage?
Old 12-06-2000, 09:27 PM   #6
glenstiles
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver, baby, silver

Hi all. I tried the 8 ohm, and it felt better, but not drastically so. With the 50 ohm, it feels like the car shifts crisper. I then I took the 50 and added another 50 ohm in series. This in theory makes a total of 110.5 ohms. Stange but true, this seems to be it. The shifts feel crisp but not hard, no clunking at all in the 1-2 shift. Also, the 2-3 shift is much better, and no blinking power light. I haven't soldered this in place, just using crimp connectors, so I can make quick adjustments. I really like the way the car drives, it seems to drive with more authority, especially when making that crucial 2-3 shift. Something to try, I don't think it can hurt anything. Does anyone have a schematic for the resistor/solenoid? Also, I looked for a variable resistor that could handle the juice and the only one that I could come up would be an automotive fan resistor for either a cooling fan or like one for the fresh air fan inside the dash. This would be the next step, so one could have luxury, sport and race modes.

Glen
Old 12-06-2000, 09:34 PM   #7
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

My scanner is not working right now... what would you like to know?

According to the schematic it calls it a "Dropping Resistor", I am certain I am looking at the right part, it is part of a circuit involving Duty solenoid A. NO mention of the value of the resistor or what DS-A does is made.
Old 12-07-2000, 12:07 PM   #8
mhj
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3057
You can get power resistors (the nice aluminum heat sink housed ones) and Rheostats (up to 50W) at www.digikey.com.

Note: If you use a rheostat, be sure to put in a series resistor. This will set the minimum resistance for the whole connection. So, when you have the rheostat set to close to 0 ohms, you won't be burning hundreds of watts of power.

Has anyone checked if the entire 12V is dropped across the resistor?

If this resistor is simply delivering current to a solenoid coil, a pulse width modulator would be a more elegant/efficient approach to make a variable shift control.

(Yes I'm an EE)
Old 12-13-2000, 12:56 PM   #9
glenstiles
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver, baby, silver

Hi all.
Well, after running 8 ohms, 25, 50, and 100 ohms in series with the factory resistor, I can say that the results are mixed. Unfortunately, the car didn't seem to shift all that much better in the long run, after a couple days somehow it seemed that the car started shifting 'normally' again, with soft shifts, revs rising between 2-3, etc. The car may be compensating somehow, maybe with the computer, I dunno. Only by disconnecting the resistor completely was the firm shift in all gears back. This seems to be a dead end. The next thing to try is a dash switch to go between fully connected and unconnected for the resistor. This may be the best route.

Glen
Old 01-26-2001, 07:22 PM   #10
glenstiles
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver, baby, silver

Update- tried a 1 and 2 ohm resistor to see what it does- and the power light was blinking and the car went into default mode. At 3 and 4 ohms the power light went off, and it felt like stock. Just more basic research for the archives.

Glen
Old 01-26-2001, 11:20 PM   #11
KEVINL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3525
Vehicle:
2004 Duramax W/500HP
And Want another STi

I find the shift with the resistor unplugged to be perfect nice and crisp.

P.S. Glentilsies how did you list more than one car I can only post one and I need to put my SVX on there

[This message has been edited by KEVINL (edited January 26, 2001).]
Old 01-27-2001, 05:54 PM   #12
glenstiles
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver, baby, silver

I am running the car with the resistor unplugged. I like it this way too. I think that the wear on drivetrain components from a harder shift is better than the wear on the tranny from long, heat producing luxury shifts. I was able to list more than one car by sticking them all in the 'From' section.

Glen
Old 02-10-2001, 03:00 AM   #13
CHRISSVX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3564
Exclamation

I have been reading this topic and I am interested but I do not have a clue where this load resistor would go ,because I am new to the SVX world please can someone help me out with some info!
Old 02-10-2001, 03:49 PM   #14
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

The resistor is secured to the chassis, between the engine bay wall and the battery. You have to remove the battery to get at it.

If you are familiar with basic electronic components and circuit theory you will recognize it immediately.

If you don't, then no offense intended, but you might think twice about messing with it.

(Hint: It's a honkin big ceramic resistor)

[This message has been edited by CRZ_MSL (edited February 10, 2001).]
Old 02-10-2001, 07:11 PM   #15
kastle
Frank Army

Member#: 1457
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
1999 Outback Sport
Steel Blue Mica

I have some pics of it....

Old 02-12-2001, 01:01 AM   #16
glenstiles
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver, baby, silver

Nice pics. Kastle, thats the same battery I have. Mine is a little crustier looking though. Hehe.

Glen