Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > SVX Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-10-2000, 06:13 PM   #1
arejay
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1916
Post Brake Pad Replacement - How To

This post was in response to the more detailed procedure. I'll post the entire procedure later . . . once I find where I filed it.

Replacing Brake Pads on Your SVX

1. You need a 12mm socket for the rear caliper bolt and a 14mm socket for the front caliper bolt. Whoever posted said you needed a 10mm socket.

2. Wrap the brake fluid reservoir with rags to contain the eventual overflow.

3. I have absolutely no idea what the person who posted the directions did with the C clamp. Yes, you do need a C clamp, but he said something about putting the clamp on the pad and squeezing against the caliper. That was impossible. With the caliper hinged up, you will notice a round hole (1 on the back and 2 on the front). Take your 3 inch C clamp (I found out the hard way that 2 inch doesn't work)and use that to push the outer edge of the hole(s) (piston(s)?) (I am not technical on terms)in. If you don't, as I found out, the caliper won't swing back down because the new pads are much meatier than the old ones and stick out. Once you push the piston in enough, the caliper will swing back down over the pads.

4. Use a bungee cord to hold the caliper up. It kept falling down and was irritating, but the bungee cord is a quick fix. The hinged calipers make doing this job SO much easier. Thanks Subaru!!!

5. Do the back wheels first. They are easier and will inspire confidence to get the rest of the job done.

6. Remove and install the pad farthest from you first. Somehow I think that makes getting the front pad on easier.

[This message has been edited by arejay (edited August 10, 2000).]
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-10-2000, 08:41 PM   #2
nubbsjr
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 174
Instead of wrapping rags around the master cylinder,suck some of the fluid out of it,just like when you empty out the power steering pump. Just leave enough in so you don't get air in the lines.This method is not as messy.