Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-21-2003, 12:20 AM   #1
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 36587
Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

Default Ordered Prodrive Springs for my BE

Well I have decided to keep the car. Call it a bad relapse back into the eighties and to much wang chung got in my head

I ordered my Prodrive springs from SPI Motorsports and will be dropping those on my stock struts that came with the car here next week. When the GR2's some out I will be bolting them on those next. I will have no before and after photos due to the fact my lower left section of the car is wrecked. So the shop will be putting them on when they fix everything else.

I would like to know if Eibach makes springs for Prodrive, why not make a set for themselves and sell them to us BE/BH folks?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 11:45 AM   #2
tora
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5851
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
09 Forester XT
+ NA Miata

The wprings they make for Prodrive are progressive and my guess is that Prodrive holds the rights to those and probably has a deal with Eibach not to make a competitive spring. As far as a linear spring I'm not sure why Eibach hasn't done that unless it goes with the other reason above. But they make them for the impreza which prodrive also has springs for. Perhaps they just didn't see it being worth all the R&D.

Let me know how you like the prodrives...how much drop approximately you get, feel with stock shocks. I'm planning the same thing as you with the GR2 and prodrive combo but would love some feedback on them. Enjoy.
tora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 09:30 AM   #3
kbrate
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 7472
Vehicle:
2001 Legacy
Winestone Pearl

The Prodrive Springs (at least for the Wagon) are made by H&R not Eibach -
kbrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 05:47 PM   #4
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

Ahh that is interesting. I wish the guy would have told me what type of springs, I forgot to ask him.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:55 PM   #5
kbrate
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy
Winestone Pearl

Did they tell you that you need Impreza Top mounts for the Front?

Drop on a wagon is 1 1/8 Front and 5/8 Rear

Stock shocks seem pretty well match until you really, really push it and then they are a bit underdamped. (You've gotten into the "high" end of the spring rate)

I personally would go for the STi Struts but thats for another day... $$$

KCB
Old 06-22-2003, 07:03 PM   #6
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

Ya they did tell me about the mounts. I think after the GR2's I will wait for my Coilovers. Do you know what the serial numbers are and/or where to get those STi's. The next thing I drop on the car will most likely be headers and exhaust.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:59 PM   #7
kbrate
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy
Winestone Pearl

Check RalliSpec.

Anyone that deals in STi should be able to get them for you....

I'm gone for the week See Ya'

KCB
Old 06-23-2003, 09:42 AM   #8
omahasubaru
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1594
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2002 Legacy

I'm anxious to see the outcome. I've been trying to talk the wife into putting them on her car, but she fears it would go too low for her taste. If it's just .75" drop or so that would work, but more she would not like. Seems to care about ground clearance for some reason.
Quote:
The wprings they make for Prodrive are progressive and my guess...
Where do you base this information on? Both the GC8 version as well as the GDA version of the Prodrive springs are not Progressive. They are single rate. Eibach kits are progressive though.
omahasubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:44 AM   #9
tora
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
09 Forester XT
+ NA Miata

Sorry, I had my info all confused. I just assumed they were made by Eibach but as KBrate points out I was wrong. I have an e-mail from Prodrive stating that the springs are in fact linear. (I got my linear/progressive lingo mixed up).
Old 06-28-2003, 02:00 PM   #10
kbrate
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy
Winestone Pearl

Quote:
Originally posted by tora
... I have an e-mail from Prodrive stating that the springs are in fact linear. (I got my linear/progressive lingo mixed up).
Interesting, everything I have ever seen/heard from Prodrive say's their Legacy springs are Progressive and the springs I put in my '01 Wagon sure looked progressive to me. Unless they have found a way to wind a linear rate with a changing pitch,that is.....

KCB

(Sorry this is so late but I've been in Chicago on business for the past week...)
Old 06-28-2003, 10:06 PM   #11
tora
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
09 Forester XT
+ NA Miata

How do you tell by looks which is Linear and which is progressive?
Old 06-28-2003, 11:11 PM   #12
kbrate
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy
Winestone Pearl

There are a number of ways to make a spring have a progressive rate... One is by varying the wire diameter another is by varying overall diameter and a third is by varying the pitch or space between the coils. The latter is probably more common and that's what the springs I installed have, i.e. a change in pitch along the spring.

The equation for rate has the number of "active coils" in the denominator - therefore as the spring compresses and the closer coils bind the number of active coils go down and the spring rate goes up. On a spring with equally spaced coils none of the coils bind before the whole spring binds so there is no change in rate.

FYI the spring rate equation is Rate=Gd^4/8D^3 N
Where G = 10.5 - 11.5 x 10^6 (depends on mat'l)
d=wire dia. D=spring dia [(O.D. + I.D.)/2] and N="active coils"

KCB
Old 07-05-2003, 06:34 PM   #13
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

Ok, so I should have my springs here on monday! I need to know what all I will need and to ask if anyone has any additonal information that will help me out on the install. This springs will be going over my stock struts, and will have impreza mounts.
thanks.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:42 PM   #14
tora
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
09 Forester XT
+ NA Miata

Did they tell you that you would need impreza mounts? Where did you get yours from? Thanks.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:51 PM   #15
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

got them from SPI motor sports. They are under Irvine subaru, talk to ryan. He is shipping the mounts as well, the whole thing cost 349.00 shipping included. Just need to install them now.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:30 PM   #16
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

Sweeeeeet. Got my springs today from SPI
http://www.spimotorsports.com/
I noticed when I got them that no where does it say Prodrive, heck everything came from H&R in German. They are Sport springs and the info is below. I will be installing them on Sunday so I will let you all know how that goes and should have some photos. I wanted to post this link due to the fact a few folks said that H&R do not make them?!? That and I had a hell of a time finding the same info.
http://www.hrsprings.com/site/frameapplications.html
Old 07-07-2003, 06:59 PM   #17
tora
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
09 Forester XT
+ NA Miata

Are those the same springs though? I thought prodrive only lowered 22mm. The links says it lowers 1.5inches.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:52 PM   #18
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

Yep.
I looked at the part numbers on the springs
#29443 HA and VA
That is why I thought it was kind of funny. SO...if anyone is looking to pick some up used they can look for that part number on the H&R's. Ryan over at SPI was way cool and when I ordered them on Wednesday got them today.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:39 AM   #19
omahasubaru
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2002 Legacy

So where's the update?

Did you get the springs installed yet? How is the ride comfort? How much of a drop is it now & could you please re-measure once it 'settles'?

Keep us posted.

BTW SPI Motorsports does rule! I use them exclusively for parts for my WRX, Ryan is great to deal with & they sponsor my car for autocross!
Old 07-09-2003, 10:06 AM   #20
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

I will be installing them this sunday with some local subaru guys. We are also doing another spring swap on another car, and also installing some headers on another. Will post pic's of before and after.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:29 AM   #21
omahasubaru
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2002 Legacy

I look forward to it. Let me know how easy or hard the rears are to do!

Jon
Old 07-14-2003, 02:10 AM   #22
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

Well I finished installing my Prodrive (H&R Springs) along with another friend from our local Subie Group. After reading what I posted for myself and what I quoted from others on “How To” install springs on your existing or new struts needs to be revised.

Let’s first say you need to have some tools. GO GET THE DAMN SPRING COMPRESOR. DO NOT USE ZIP TIES, OR YOUR FRIENDS WEIGHT TO STAND ON THEM. My 2 cents is that if you are that poor, not to get this tool, and that dumb to use Zip ties do not do the job.

I will be going back and deleting all quotes on folks who said zip ties that I posted as quotes.
I have some photos below to look at what they are, and how they go. The trick is to layout the whole strut/spring or shock absorber, then place the compressor onto each side of the spring and tighten until it just grabs and does not come off. Then do the other side of the spring with the second compressor.
With a Impact Wrench, or 19mm wrench tighten each side back and forth until the spring moves within the mounts. The spring compressor may only grab 2 or 3 rings, just grab as many springs on each side with each spring compressor as you can. Once that is done you can get that 17mm socket with a Allan wrench to take it off. If could be very snug so don’t give up! You have to have a 17mm wrench with files on opposite sides until a 20mm or 19mm wrench can go around it. You will HAVE to hold the lock nut with the Allan as it goes through the socket. Once you hold the Allan with some pliers you can use that 19mm or 20mm tool to turn that “tool” socket until the top mounts comes off. Then slowly reveres off the spring compressor on each side until they come free. I would not put them in a vise or anything else so the energy if they do go, has no where to push off of; lay it on its side. You should always treat it with some respect….
That’s it. In a nut shell
Do the same for the back.
When I got to the WRX we got all 4 wheels done in about 3.5 hrs. 30+ min was getting the back seat out…lame.
All in all it was fun, and with the ratchet gun, car stands, 12mm-22mm tools, car jack, and some $20 spring compressors from Napa auto, your job should be done in around 4 to 6 hrs. on your first try.

Ok the performance of Prodrive Springs on MY00 Legacy BE…awesome!

It dropped the car a ton!! I can only get a finger fit between my wheel and the back strut on the front and a little more on the top. With my ALK, and Rear Swaybar these springs run awesome and has zero body roll. It gives the car a good look, and at 110mph the car just sits. Going around corners or onto on-ramps, the tires give up, and the car still will not come loose in the back, and does not push. I will have to be swayed very hard to put GR2’s on the car when they come out. This ride is comfortable and with another friend in side who has a WRX, he was totally stunned on how it ran for a larger car. For $350 bucks or less you can not beat the ride, or the performance. I have more photos of the car and the parts used, and will be posting them when I wake up in the morning.

Good Luck!
Britten
Old 07-14-2003, 03:23 AM   #23
r0gu3
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 39687
Vehicle:
1993 RX-7

I wouldn't mind some Tein's ...
r0gu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 09:02 AM   #24
omahasubaru
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2002 Legacy

Where's the pictures? Did you measure how much the actual drop was?

Thanks - Jon
Old 07-14-2003, 11:02 AM   #25
tora
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
09 Forester XT
+ NA Miata

If it was dropped that much I don't think your stock shocks will last very long. Hopefully they do, but I think you will find you will be wanting new shocks in the next few months.