Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > SVX Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-13-2000, 11:22 PM   #1
Never2phat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1683
Thumbs up Field Test Of AVS Decibels On Ice/Slush

About time we get some winter weather in my area!!!! We've had about 90% freezing rain and 10% slush(wet snow) for almost 4 hours now(2am). I thought it would be a good test of my Yokohama AVS db Decibels. After letting the car warm up and defrost I headed for the closest unsalted/ungraveled parking lot. On the way I experienced no problems from stop sign to stop sign. They brake confidently(no ABS unless really pushed) and start out just as well. Upon getting to the parking lot I self-appointed myself 'official SVX LSI AWD w/ AVS Decibels tester'. I did a couple of panic stops with ABS and a couple of "oh my God, the idiot behind me can't stop" take offs. They performed very well. When accelerating from a dead stop I used 'manual 2nd' and had no problems getting up to speed. They tracked in a striaght line and had plenty of bite despite how slipery the lot was. In the ABS stops the tail end wanted to come out a lil' but nothing that couldn't be easily controlled. Slowing down was no problem. Actually they(AVS db's) are the best tires I have ever had when it comes to stopping on slick surfaces. Taking curves the tires also were very confident. With a slight bit of steering correction coming out of a corner I was able to stay on the gas and drive just like I usually do. No having to lift off the throttle. In comparision....When I had the stock RE95's going into a turn I had to lift off the gas. Even doing so the car always went into a side slide w/ lil' or no control. Those tires suck when compared to the Yoko's. Any one looking for a good(outstanding) all-season tire, with a small price tag(around $100 a piece), should definetely consider the Yokohama AVS db Decibels. They kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!! Any questions......just ask

Happy winter driving
B.C.

P.S. I also made it a point to play around a teeny tiny bit while in the parking lot I had a hell of a time With out having any obsticles I was able to throw(in a controlled manner) the car around with out the worry of hitting anything. To bad winter driving can't always be that fun
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-27-2001, 04:49 PM   #2
glenstiles
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 2827
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver, baby, silver

I am also curious of how well they perform in the rain. I've heard very good things about the Yoko AVS Decibels, and they seem to be a nice match for the SVX. I will need new tires sometime this year if these lame Falkens ever wear out. I was also considering Kumhos, but really like the idea of an all season performance tire that is designed to be quiet. I'm getting a bit of tire noise from the Falkens right now, and its annoying. And I'm glad its not the bearings droning ... Nice review, btw.

(edit for syntax)

Glen

[This message has been edited by glenstiles (edited January 27, 2001).]
Old 01-28-2001, 12:19 AM   #3
immortal_suby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1711
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
140 rogue points!
2013 GBS BRZ Limited 6MT

I just ordered a set of these and should have them on by thursday - drove about 500 yds out of the parking lot at work today and had the rear tire go flat due to a razor blade in the tread! Been wanting to get new tires for a while and this gave me the kick in the rear. Ended up at $599 with mounting from a local chrome coffee can tailpipe outlet. Not too bad.

You've had them for a while now - do you still like them?
How are they in the rain?

I'm looking forward to gettin a decent set of tires, but I am also having fun with the 2wd fuse in - My first time doing smoky burnouts in the svx today was great and I figure I might as well destroy whats left of these tires before they end up on the rear end of an IROC.