Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > SVX Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-12-2001, 08:25 AM   #1
Z-man
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 7357
Post RE: New here

Hello: I just heard about this board last week at an autox event. Seemed like the local WRX club came out, and 1/2 of them raced. It was the first time I autocrossed an SVX. (normally, I drive my Toyota MR2, but the forecast called for rain) But did I have fun! Placed 4th in class, and enjoyed feeling real power in the straights, compared to my MR2! The car had tons of understeer going into tight turns, but on the long sweepers it felt kinda neutral, with a little oversteer on the exits. Boy, did the street tires complain!

Oh yeah: my SVX: it's a '92 (wingless wonder) pearl white with a black top and grey interior, 70k miles. Bone stock. My wife drives it more than I do: otherwise I'd rack up too many tickets !!

Anyway, has anyone else on this forum autocrossed their SVX? I'm interested in stories and pointers: I may be taking the SVX out to the races more...

Thanks,
-Z-man.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-12-2001, 08:54 AM   #2
Z-man
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the welcome, Vern!
I have to look into the tranny cooler: I've heard of it before, and I'm not sure if it's on my SVX (I bought it used in '98). How can I tell?

Even if I don't autox it anymore (I really don't plan on it too much), I am sure the tranny cooler would be beneficial nonetheless.

My wife babies the SVX, so her driving doesn't really effect the tranny as much as my driving does (another reason she drives it more than I do).

How hard is the install of the cooler?

Thanks,
-Z.
Old 06-12-2001, 02:13 PM   #3
Z-man
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info, 1994subarusvx. I just registered there too!
-Z.
Old 06-12-2001, 09:32 PM   #4
Flatfour
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 906
Well , I have done 4 events with my 94 down in TX ..Its a pretty descent car for the couses they set here anyway. I had never done one before and ran 3rd, 4th, 7th ( AND 4TH out of about 60 in my class. My car was dealer owned and had the first trans replaced by them already.

All I can say is , tires tires tires...I am running descent street tires Re730's but compared to kuhmo's , forget it, you just cant catch race tires with street ones!

You can play with the understeer a bit with tire pressures..

going to finish the season with it them switch to the Rex..

Also dont care if the tranny goes..because when it does its getting better gears and they will be housed in a 5spd!!

I will do this come heck or high water, may take a year or so, but it will be done, besides, I will have the Rex and my old turbo legacy to drive meanwhile...
Old 06-13-2001, 12:27 AM   #5
1994subarusvx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3358
you guys should come and join us at the subaru-svx.net club. with 200 svx drivers this site is devoted exclusively to the svx and its drivers. see you at the net.
Old 06-13-2001, 05:55 AM   #6
Z-man
Scooby Newbie

Flatfour: glad to hear someone else have autox'd an SVX! I agree with your a note about tires. I have Yokohama street tires on mine, and boy did they complain during the tight turns. The top three finishers were running autox rubber, so I really had no chance...

Understeer: I had the tire pressures at about 40psi all around: since my times were improving after each run, I figured it's best to leave things as they are. The worst understeer I got was going into a tight slalom right after a pretty fast straight, and that's cause I was holding on to the speed as long as I could

After a couple of runs, I decided to keep the tranny in first with the 'Manual' button engaged. The course was tight enough, so I didn't red-line the engine. I wonder if that is better or worse for the tranny?

Perhaps I'd better save the SVX for nice country roads and long highway cruises...
-Z-man.
Old 06-13-2001, 07:48 AM   #7
Flatfour
Scooby Newbie

Well, I found the "manual" button to be worse! Apparently all it does is keep the car from going back down to first once in second??
Also, putting it in first and leaving it doesnt do anything, mine will still shift to second at about 7200..very odd that..

My best times were found leaving it in 3rd and just letting it behave normally, cond concentrating on being smooth.

Sounds like you were upseeting the balance a bit on that understeer, I had a 5 turn slolom after along straight and did better and better by carrying less speed into it, and braking smoother..more speed overall by the time your through. When these cars dive the nose down..and try to turn..that's where I see it the most.

also I ran 52psi F and 48 in the rear.
Still havent been beaten by anyone running on street tires.

When we get the Rex and this becomes the "Project" car, the fun should start
Old 06-13-2001, 09:06 AM   #8
Flatfour
Scooby Newbie

Indeed , your essentially right.. However,

Three odd scenarios:
(this I've done repeatedly at the auto-X's),

(1.)if you depress the "Manual" button while at the start in 1st, if you do hold it, ie: not bump to second, it WILL shift to second anyway, with the selector still in 1st!! , what's worse, it will NOT downshift back to 1st until you going less than about 20mph, no matter how hard you kick it.If you bump it to 2 in this mode, it will go back down with the lever, but not until you are going much slower than the next 2 scenarios..

(2.)If you simply launch with the selector in 1st (no Man button), and do not bump it to second it WILL still upshift by itself , but will go back down with a good kick..

(3.)If you start in 2nd, (no man button) and kick hard, it not only starts (obviously) in first, but seems to go up and down much easier..

Dont know why all this happens, but it most definately does on this car, so, as I said, I do best just leaving it as normal in 2 or 3 at the start and concentrate on driving
Old 06-14-2001, 08:23 PM   #9
joe-svx-rs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3142
The only thing the manual button is good for is starting off in 2nd when thier is snow and ice on the road. Other then that leave it in normal and drive. I try not to beat on my SVX but its so hard not too!!!
Later
Joe