Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > SVX Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-25-2000, 11:34 AM   #1
Nick
The Godfather

Member#: 2
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2015 STI Launch Ed.
Rally Blue Pearl

Question SVX Transmission only Auto?

Just a question for any of the SVX owners still lurking about. Did SVXs only come in the Automatic tranny flavor or was there an manual transmission option?

Seems kinda silly to sell a sports car in only auto.

-Nick
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-25-2000, 11:53 AM   #2
LangstonSubaru
Vendor

Member#: 2175
Thumbs down

It's a shame to say , it was only offered with an automatic.
Old 10-25-2000, 07:19 PM   #3
Matt
Allergic to turbos

Member#: 181
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2009 Forester

From what I know, people who drove their SVXs in a spirited manner usually replaced/rebuilt at about 60k miles. Very pricey too. I've also heard that the transmission is the same as a Legacy tranmission. I don't think the Legacy transmission is able to handle 230hp, thus the common failures and rebulids.
Old 10-26-2000, 01:55 AM   #4
Nick
The Godfather

Member#: 2
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2015 STI Launch Ed.
Rally Blue Pearl

wow... that really is a shame.

well I hope they offer the new 6 cyl from the outback in a manual, because it would fit rather nicely into an impreza engine bay seeing as it's almost exactly the same size an uses the same mounts and tranny mount.

I'll just keep my hopes up.

-Nick
Old 10-26-2000, 10:09 PM   #5
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1610
Smile

This is gonna be long...

Problem with the SVX transmission is overheating. Stock transmission cooler is insufficient. When I replaced my transmission at 87K miles I drove the SVX to the deal;ership with all gears working, but some of them making a not-nice sound at all.

I replaced the transmission cooler and tax my transmission like never before and it seems to actually LIKE the punishment, the sadistic little bastard!

Anyhow, the SVX Automatic transmission is pretty much the same as the one used in the Subaru Legacy. And the Subaru Impreza. And the Mazda 929. And the Infiniti Q-45. And the Nissan 300ZX. And the Nissan Sylvia/240SX. And the Mazda MPV. And the Nissan Maxima. Pre-GM Subaru used lots of stuff from the Nissan parts bin. The ECU? Nissan. Nissan logo stamped on the back-sides of my center door lock switch. Nissan ECU, air filter, rear differential, etc. etc.

And... it would be a shame not to put a stick shift in a sports car. Except the SVX is no more a sports car than the Lexus SC-300 or Acura Legend. I have it from a very good source that at the time the SVX was being designed, Subaru did not have a 5-speed transmission available that could take the torque of the EG33. And the reason for no-turbo was due to problems with overheating. Anyhows.

I have gotten used to the slush box on the SVX, leaves both hands free to grip the steering wheel on a hard turn. And unlike most I think, I DO shift my auto transmission. Also one last thing: The manual button does not turn the car into a manu-matic.
Old 10-26-2000, 10:12 PM   #6
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

One additional thing... why not put the turbocharged-4 cylinder in the SVX instead of the NA 6? The SVX was supposed to be a GT-style cruiser. Turbo engines are nice, but turbo engines don't smoothly do 85mph at 2300RPM.

Ever heard the idle of a propely tuned, stock SVX? Really? Neither did I

(my SVX is no longer stock)
Old 11-13-2000, 02:20 PM   #7
Pski
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1696
CRZ_MSL,

(my SVX is no longer stock)

What modifications have you done?

Pski
Old 11-13-2000, 05:28 PM   #8
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

Stacked plate transmission cooler (with digital temp indicator)

Drilled/slotted rotors. I know about the warnings... but I managed to crack my STOCK rotors, and since I switched to these about 50K miles ago I have been quite happy.

Custom cat-back exhaust system. I have been told the sound is Porsche-like. I don't know what a Porsche sounds like, so I can't verify. High RPM is said to sound like an Indy car. I have heard Indy cars, and I disagree (the sound of a real Indy car is terrifying!).

Sounds abso-mother****ing-lutely fabulous when going though tunnels.

I won't talk about the other stuff I have waiting to go onto the car... until it's actually installed.
Old 11-13-2000, 05:55 PM   #9
kastle
Frank Army

Member#: 1457
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
1999 Outback Sport
Steel Blue Mica

What kind of custom work have you had done? I;m going to be doing that soon (decemeber) and have been looking for ideas
Old 11-13-2000, 07:06 PM   #10
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

Start with the stock system, ditch the resonator for a straight pipe, replace the stock muffler with a aftermarket unit (I forget the brand of mine). Add a tip (non resonator), some mandrel bent tubing, and voila!

Aside from the butt-dyno I cannot quantify any performance gains. In all the years I have owned my SVX I have never squared off against another one.