Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > SVX Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-28-2000, 04:48 PM   #1
kastle
Frank Army

Member#: 1457
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
1999 Outback Sport
Steel Blue Mica

Question exhaust

Well, I just spent the last hour sifting thought the Yahoo board looking for better / more information on exhausts. I don't want to spend $700ish on a KC or Strebo.

[ edit -- Well, I forgot to mention a few things. First, when we did the turbo, Robert removed the front 3 cats. Yes, that's right, removed all 3 and I'm running catless. The guy at the muffler shop today tried to tell me that the resonator (whatever that does, anyone?) was a cat. I told him whatever.... Anyways, should I put a highflow cat (from summit) instead of a new reasonator? ]

[This message has been edited by kastle (edited December 28, 2000).]
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-28-2000, 05:11 PM   #2
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1610
Yes. But be warned, your SVX will lose any pretense of being a luxo-cruiser.

At idle it is nicely quiet, not silent like the stock, but not irritatingly loud. When it does get loud, it's an honest loud, not a false-resonator tip loud. I think I have pix of it somewhere...

Total cost: $195.00

I'm currently in LA, anyone in the So Cal area available to do a performance comparison?
Old 12-28-2000, 05:34 PM   #3
kastle
Frank Army

Vehicle:
1999 Outback Sport
Steel Blue Mica

Did you forget I put a turbo on it?
Old 12-28-2000, 06:25 PM   #4
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

Doh! I had forgotten. Since you have a turbo, NA exhaust rules no longer apply. maintaining backpressure is no longer a concern, you are going to want something free-flowing. A custom system.

(BTW that was $195 including installation)

[This message has been edited by CRZ_MSL (edited December 29, 2000).]
Old 12-28-2000, 06:34 PM   #5
kastle
Frank Army

Vehicle:
1999 Outback Sport
Steel Blue Mica

Where did you get yours done? A custom shop or a major outlet (midas)?
Old 12-28-2000, 07:57 PM   #6
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

Independent shop. The crosswise orientation and lower rear skirt make it hard to adapt an HKS/ Apexi/ 5Zigen exhaust.

Mine sounds cheap and tinny when it's cold, but once the metal warms up it is a lovely sound. When I rev the engine I get "A pleasant feeling in my belly".

Loud enough to set off car alarms in parking garages at high RPM, nice and quiet at low RPM. I don't know about perfroamnce gains. The stock exhaust is way restrictive.
Old 12-28-2000, 09:08 PM   #7
phastSVX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3364
Question

Hello,
never really used i-club at all to post but its always been usefull.
Im installing my custom exhuast on this weekend. I bought a v-6 camero style
flowmaster as opposed to the flowmaster that Dayle has on his. Ive been told bad things about both mufflers, but i went wit hthe Flowmaster for the pure fact that it isnt a hallow box with a bunch of insulation in it. That cant be good for flow? correct? hlpe me out and thanks,
phast
Pearl 92 LSL/100k
Old 12-29-2000, 06:19 AM   #8
1994subarusvx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3358
i just recently put a true dual exhaust on my front wheel drive svx. I kept the two original cats coming directly off the motor because i was worried about not having enough back pressure. too little back pressure is almost worse than too much back pressure. i took off the resonator because its' only purpose is too muffle sound. i also added a dual in dual out high flow cat. all of this is connected with 2 and a quarter inch pipe. i chose to go with two magnaflow mufflers and finally the tips are two thermal research and design stainless steel tips. the sound is very nice in all rpm ranges. very deep and throaty. magnaflow makes a very nice sound for the svx. i just went to my local custom exhaust shop and he eyeballed the set up, custom built the pipe and installed it. i bought my tips from a local performance shop. the whole process cost me about $700. which was well worth it considering the sound and the fact that i have the only true dual svx. you probably have an all wheel drive so i do not know if you the room for the same set up but you should try because it is worth it!!
Old 12-29-2000, 07:42 AM   #9
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

The rear axles & differential limit the amount of room you have for true dual exhaust on the SVX.

But never fear, if a single exhaust is good enough for 1000HP+ Skylines, 700+HP Supras, 350+HP RX-7's, 350+hp Mercs, and even the occasional 300+HP Impreza, I'm certain that a single pipe exhaust won't hurt our performance too much.

I'm trying hard to think of Japanese cars wih dual exhausts, but aside from the GTO and Fairlady Z I can't think of anything. I'm not even certain the GTO was true dual exhaust, and not just dual outlet like the SVX.
Old 12-29-2000, 11:30 AM   #10
1994subarusvx
Scooby Newbie

only really high performance cars use the true dual exhaust: ferrari some porches, lamborghini. i really dont think it makes a big horsepower difference either way but i do think it affects the sound. you can hear my exhaust from the moment the key is turned, it is very nice.
Old 12-29-2000, 01:10 PM   #11
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Mea culpa, I did not mean to sound like I was bagging on your exhaust, just trying to give hope to any lurkers with an AWD SVX who was worried about not being able to take advantage of one.

Do you have pictures?
Old 12-29-2000, 01:25 PM   #12
kastle
Frank Army

Vehicle:
1999 Outback Sport
Steel Blue Mica

Well, I went to a local exhaust shop today that quoted me $500 for a cat back exhaust. Nearly messed myself....

I think I'm going to sell the turbo'd SVX.
Old 12-29-2000, 03:21 PM   #13
1994subarusvx
Scooby Newbie

i did not think you were ragging on my exhaust, i feel the love in the chat room
kastle what in the hell do you want to sell the svx turbo for???
Old 12-29-2000, 03:53 PM   #14
kastle
Frank Army

Vehicle:
1999 Outback Sport
Steel Blue Mica

How much or why?
Old 12-30-2000, 10:13 AM   #15
immortal_suby
Scooby Newbie