Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday October 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-02-2003, 07:29 PM   #1
d4d4d4d4
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38925
Vehicle:
1990 legacy wgn
Pig blood for paint

Question 2.5 N/A into a 1990 legacy AT?

I'm looking at getting a 2.5 and placing it into my 1990 legacy wagon w/ auto tranny (possibly switching to 5spd). Is this possible? I was looking at my friend's 1999 RS and the engine compartment looks almost identical. Besides a new torque converter what else should I expect to change? Would this project be even worthwhile? Should I go for a legacy 2.0 TT from Japan instead? I really like the sleeper effect of the old legacys when they're modded out. Ohhh yeah.. what about putting newer legacy wheels and steering wheel, will those fit too? Thanx a lot- Dx4
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
d4d4d4d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 11:31 AM   #2
Matt
Allergic to turbos

Member#: 181
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2009 Forester

You know.....this would be very interesting.

I've got a 2.2L 2WD automatic from '90 as well. With the crappy tires on it its quite the burnout queen. A 2.5 conversion may just work. I'd see about sourcing the wiring, motor, and possibly a tranny. I believe it could work, but I'd be a little worried about another tranny fitting inside the transmission tunnel if a 2.5 torque converter didn't fit the 2.2 transmission.

Another torque converter should work with the 2.2 tranny, but I'm not 100% sure if they'll mate up. It may be easier to fit everything from the 2.5--less wiring headaches.

Sounds like a plan though.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:30 PM   #3
stimpy
Homicidal Maniac

Member#: 1612
Vehicle:
2008 STI

Yes it is possible. No, the EJ20 TT will not work.

Look at the FAQ thread at the top of this forum and do some seaches. Lots of info can be had.

-Jon
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote