Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-02-2003, 11:35 PM   #1
DILLIGAF Racing
Scooby Guru

Member#: 29440
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
Budd Baer
Subaru

Default Waxing Help

No matter what I do to my WRX, it still feels gritty. I am getting fed up with it. I use Mothers California Gold Clean Wax to clean the paint, and The Wax Shop car wax. It still feels gritty Does conventional waxing methods not work with Subaru paint? I used the same cleaner wax (cause I was lazy and didn't want to finish it) and its like baby butt smoothe. Suggestions more than welcome.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
DILLIGAF Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:45 PM   #2
twizzstyle
Scooby Guru

Member#: 18941
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Lotus Elise
Orange

Default Re: Waxing Help

Quote:
Originally posted by DILLIGAF Racing
I used the same cleaner wax (cause I was lazy and didn't want to finish it) and its like baby butt smoothe.
confused by that last bit....missing a few words?

I've use Turtle Wax Cleaner Wax, and it seems to do a great job. I assume you've washed the car before hand But it makes it pretty smooth, then I put on some Meguairs Show Car glaze....oh man, that makes it shiiiiiny!!!! also, maybe try rubbing it a little more?
twizzstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:50 PM   #3
DILLIGAF Racing
Scooby Guru

Member#: 29440
Vehicle:
Budd Baer
Subaru

oh yeah I did, guess its passed my bed time. I meant to say just the cleaner wax, and not the Wax Shop wax. I'm going to bed. Keep suggestions coming though.
DILLIGAF Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:56 PM   #4
twizzstyle
Scooby Guru

Member#: 18941
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Lotus Elise
Orange

wait, so it's nice and smooth after using the cleaner wax, but when you use the other wax, it gets gritty? Maybe try a different wax (I'm tellin ya, the show car glaze is the BEST!), or even more likely, you could be using to much wax. If you apply too much, it can ball up when you try to take it off, and it'll leave annoying little bits. You need to use as LITTLE as possible! Hope that helps!!! Happy Waxing!!!!
twizzstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:26 AM   #5
Kean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25187
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

If you have grit or contaminants on your finish, you may want to try a claybar. Check out these websites for some tips.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...S&Store_Code=Z
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000

They have good products that you may or may not decide to purchase. Even so, the advice they provide should be helpful.

Kean
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:52 AM   #6
2k2
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 12368
Vehicle:
2008 Infiniti G35X
2011 BMW X5 Diesel

hey, i could help ya out sometime.

Since I live just over in upper st clair you could stop by when im free and I will show you what you need to do.

I work daily in a detailing shop all day and I detail my own car and other cars on the side as well. I have a pretty decent amount of experience.

If this grittyness is in the paint then most likely it is some sort of fallout that should be removed by claying. It is possible its just tar if its on the side panels. But if its on the hood its probably fallout.

If its not that bad FI-II or some Megs Diamond Cut will get it out as well as make your paint look perfect.

I know how to work with my black subaru im sure I coul dhelp you.

Bryan
2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 04:05 AM   #7
xenonk
Scooby Guru

Member#: 18823
Vehicle:
2011 with 4 wheels
monochrome?

Exclamation Clay it

The best thing to do is to rewash your car, and dry it... get a clay bar kit (I prefer Meguiars, but Mother's Clay kit is good too.) Basically you probably have a lot of tiny bits of road tar and other misc. stuff stuck onto the paint.

Once you clay your car, just use a paint cleaner and polish. I mentioned on another thread about my theory and backed up with the writers of Motorweek that waxing should be done only a few times a year and washing should occur more to keep that show room shine and feel.

Keefe
xenonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:13 AM   #8
gtguy
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2184
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT wagon
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default Re: Clay it

Quote:
Originally posted by xenonk
waxing should be done only a few times a year and washing should occur more to keep that show room shine and feel.

Keefe
This is right on, IMHO. I have a "car spa day" three times a year, once every four months, which includes wash, paint prep (old wax removal), clay, polish and wax. I wash her regularly, and use a speed shine product for touchups, however.

Kevin
gtguy is offline   Reply With Quote