Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > SVX Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-14-2001, 11:15 PM   #1
AaronB
Worst Mod Ever

Member#: 369
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
12 Vagon

Unhappy MY92 SVX down, but not out

I am making the trek up to Prescott (60 minutes or so) driving my wife's SVX. All of the sudden the speedometer stops working and the check engine light came on I was going about 55. Hmm not good.

As I was getting near Robert's (my subaru mechanic I was going up to see) I continued on my way pacing myself with other traffic, while monitoring my idiot lights for further clues. The car drove fine still. I get to Robert's and we decide to investigate the smokey engine bay and burnt oil fragrance. We check the ATF, whew looks fine. The front differential on the other hand was almost empty.

It was leaking pretty good at this point. The diff got so hot that it had melted the plastic speed sensor. There were plastic fragments mixed in with the little remaining oil.

The speedometer doesn't work and the tranny doesn't know when to shift now, but the tranny and gears appear to have survived without damage. Fixing the seals on the diff, refilling, and replacing the speed sensor are on the menu for the SVX now. While he has it I am going to get the front CV boots replaced since they are both cracked. Ahh the SVX my money pit.

So I made the trip back down the hill subeless, but should be ready to roll this weekend, hopefully.

Anyone else ever encounter this problem, or I am pioneering new ways to trash your SVX?

Aaron http://www.azscooby.com
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-15-2001, 12:24 AM   #2
glenstiles
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 2827
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver, baby, silver

That really sucks. Hope the car is okay after fixing the diff leak and refilling it- hopefully its not toast. Let us know how it turns out.

Glen