Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > SVX Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-23-2001, 09:22 AM   #1
Alcyone
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3499
Talking minor ramblings aka The Quest for Subaru Fun

so here i go again...
topic1. i just found some way cool stuff and thought maybe you guys would be interested. led replacement windshield sprayer nozzles.. they function like regular wiper sprayers but, they can be hooked up to turn signals, parking lights etc etc etc. pretty cool and mine are on order, see them at www.goldenapple.com i think they are in the "lifestyle" section also i get sweet deals on them (through a friend this is not an ad)
topic2does anyone have a 245/40/17 on their car? i just think it would look way cool and see absolutely no reason why it wouldnt fit if i got a 45-50 mm offset rim...
topic3 another cool light mod... being that i have to pull my rear lightsd apart anyway (condensation) my buddy pointed out a neato trick. im gonna paint the housing gloss black and use the new led style lights in the rear problem is finding the led style lights i know catz and a few other co's make them but are our rear light 1157 or 3157 lights? and if not well then there goes that idea ....

hope i entertained a lil and oh check this out!!!!

topic4 i almost forgot!! the subaru svx hotwire is the EXACT same as the nissan 300zx (you may know this but i am excited) this means i can get a Blitz SS filter with the 300z adapter and bolt it on WOOOHOOO!!!!

ok im out !

svxcrx@netzero.net
importricer@netzero.net <- use this addy
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-23-2001, 11:10 AM   #2
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1610
Question

What are you doing to keep your Blitz air filter from getting all warm and toasty? 1 degree increase in intake temp. = 3hp reduction. Or is that the other way around?

Anyway, if you go open element, you have to have a heat shield, or you will bog like a Scottish marsh when you try to launch after sitting at a light.

Also, be careful of the offset on your rims, the bearings are stressed as it is.

Picture please
Old 01-24-2001, 07:29 AM   #3
Alcyone
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

well about the Blitz.. i was just gonna leave most of the stock box there maybe fab some CAI to get more to the box so the filter is "bathed" in cool air. I'll keep you updated. and if you think an open air element is gonna make the car bog ...No.... i have owned a crx with a open air unit a talon witha exposed filter and my buddies 1993 NA 300zx has an Apex'i filter thats exposed. none of these cars have shown any negative affects that i could 'butt-dyno'the only thing i think an exposed element does is make it louder (forgive my rice....)

(also i dont think it added any power but damn it looks cool and the svx box is more restrictive than most and so is the exhaust but thats another story)!

Plus with the effects of sucking K-n-N filter oil onto the hotwire i want a non oiled filter aka Apex'i,Blitz

Rims.. yeah i know about the bearings but if the offset is ok then why would tread width affect them, i personally know a guy around here with a set of 245/45/16 on his svx now and it hasnt affected it at all

What Mufflers are ppl running on their SVX?

importricer@netzero.net

[This message has been edited by Alcyone (edited January 24, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Alcyone (edited January 24, 2001).]
Old 01-24-2001, 10:19 AM   #4
Rallyrcr
Scooby Guru

Member#: 3407
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1995 WRX Rally Car
Caribbean Green Met

checked the topic one link and it is not right.

i wanted to see these light thingys

Quote:
Gary 92 SVX LSi (in Porsche Arena Red Met)
Old 01-24-2001, 11:25 AM   #5
micah
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3154
CRZ - I have heard 11 degrees F = 1 hp. It better not be 1 degree / 3 hp, or my 'vx would lose all 230 hp going from 20 F to 100 F here in south carolina!

cheers
mbs
Old 01-24-2001, 11:56 AM   #6
1994subarusvx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3358
i have enkei RS6 225/45/17 with a 35 or 38mm offset and i have had no problems at all. in fact the car handles better and looks awesome. i bought my tires and rims for discounttiredirect.com, of course the tires already came on the rim balanced and everything. i just bolted them on. you can give these guys a call and they will tell you what wheels fit your car or you can do a search online. happy hunting.....
Old 01-24-2001, 06:29 PM   #7
glenstiles
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 2827
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver, baby, silver

Lets see those lights- sounds a little over the top for me
I would be careful of the offset on those rims as CRZ_MSL said- even if the wheel bearings seem fine at first, they will be more stressed and prone to early failure. Unless that doesn't bother you... I am sure a 245 size tire would fit, I believe that SB Kim has done this on his SVX. As far as an open cone style filter goes, it would be interesting to see if there is any performance gain besides noise on an SVX. I removed the silencer box on my car, and it really didn't seem as restrictive as I first thought. An open cone filter will also draw in hot engine air- see the SVX faq for some info on this... http://my.voyager.net/tmclane/

Glen
Old 01-25-2001, 12:56 AM   #8
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

And contrary to popular belief, a cone filter does not automatically get more air into the engine. Before you switch to a cone filter, calculate the surface area of the cone element and compare it to the panel filter surface area (assuming both are K&N). CHeck your geometry text for details .

Depending on the size/taper of the cone, you may actually be reducing the filter intake area.

A better setup would be dual/triple cone filters, perhaps mounted in front of the passenger side wheel.
Old 01-25-2001, 08:22 AM   #9
Alcyone
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

lights try www.adrwheels.com that should work goto ga lifestyle and they are in there and yeah they may be over the top but hey for 15$ why not? I've done worse things to my car that cost more.....

filter well in the case of surface area wouldnt eliminating a restriction also way into the equation?? since the opening to the box is smaller than the hotwire opening, wouldnt that in itself be the determining factor in getting more air into the engine (or at least creating better flow?) try this for example...
if you have an half inch straw with a 1 inch filter at the bottom, with a 3/8 inch opening on the other side wouldnt it be harder to suck through than a 1/2 inch straw with a 1/2 inch open filter? sure you would have to flow more air throught the filter but you would have a more open path way (granted the filter can flow that cfm, which the Blitz is more than capable of doing....)

Old 01-25-2001, 10:28 AM   #10
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

I agree with in in principle, but in the current application whatever restriction caused by the size of the box inlet is lilliputian in comparison to the restriction caused by the filter.
Meaning, that it does not matter if the upstream restriction is 500mm or 50mm when the effective restriction of the filter element is 25mm. Without some sort of velocity stack the maximum restriction is still the air filter, the only (cheap) way I can think of getting around the restriction of the air filter is to increase the surface area that air is filtered through.

Adding a cone filter MAY do this, (see my above post) but unless steps are taken to prevent hot underhood air from getting sucked into the engine, you will see a performance reduction.

And then there is the possibility that the cone is located in a low pressure area under the hood when the car is at highway speed-- this would reduce your engine output even more.

If you are worried about K&N filter oil on your hot wire check this out: http://www.i-club.com/ubb-files/Forum3/HTML/000147.html

[This message has been edited by CRZ_MSL (edited January 25, 2001).]