Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday November 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-15-2003, 07:13 PM   #1
TheWeis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 17939
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Blue

Question e-brake light stuck on?

This happened after I bought and OBD-2 light checker. I tried to delete my CEL's (which of course came back on in 5 minutes anyway).

In any case, weirdly, my e-brake light came on whether the handle is engaged or not, and won't go out.

Any ideas? What can I check for/tighten to fix this if it's just a coincidence with the OBD-2?

Thanks in advance.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
TheWeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:29 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

The brake light has no connection to the ECU so it's just coincidental that it stayed on after you plugged your scanner in.
In addition to the switch for the e-brake, the light is connected to a level sensor in the brake fluid reservoir and will come on if the fluid level is low. So you should check your brake fluid as that is probably the reason the light is on now.
If you find the fluid to be low, don't just add more to fill it up. Check your brake pads first to see if they are worn and replace them if they are. As the pads wear the pistons extend farther out in the calipers and this causes the fluid level to drop. When the pads are replaced, the pistons are retracted back into the calipers and the fluid level will come back up. If you fill up the fluid reservior before changing the pads it will then overflow when you retract the pistons.
The other possibility is a leak somewhere in the system, which is not that likely on a newer car but not out of the question.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 08:42 PM   #3
TheWeis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 17939
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Blue

Default ok

Thanks mulder, that makes sense. I will check levels when I haul the car out Friday. I have the stoptech kit and SS lines, but I installed them about 12 months ago, so maybe they are loosening? Something leaking? We shall see.

I see you are in NYC, do you do track days/AutoX? I need to get this car on some form of competitive process...
TheWeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 08:48 PM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

If you want to find out about local track and auto-x events, check out the Tri-State forum, there are threads and links for activities that will interest you. Many Tri-Staters are active with NASA, SCCA, and various other clubs that run auto-x's and track days.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote