Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-25-2003, 07:37 PM   #1
andygold
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 7347
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WR Blue

Default Not your typical Morette question...wires/bulbs

I did a search but was unable to find an answer.....
I have an '02 WRX with a Morette headlight conversion.

What is the highest wattage H7 bulb that can be safely used without frying any wires?

In the past I used some 80 watt( 80/100)units on the OEM headlights, and fried both 9004 connectors. The Morettes are still using a 9004 plug in their plug-n-play wiring(just not directly on the bulb).

Will switching up to a higher wattage bulb put the same stress on the tiny 9004 pins, as it did when the bulb was directly attached to the 9004 connector? Or do the Morette relays and direct connection to the battery bypass this problem? I haven't had the time to trace the wiring(put them in last night), and was curious if the "old" 9004 connection is carrying any substantial current, or if it's being used solely for switching purposes. Soooo, what wattage bulbs are you using, and have you had any melting problems? Also, can the lenses/reflectors/housings safely handle the increased temperatures associated with higher wattage bulbs?
andygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2003, 09:14 PM   #2
daverup
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3708
Vehicle:
2016 RS

The Morrette low beams are getting their power directly from the stock low beam wiring. The relays are there to keep the low beams on when you use the brights.
If you are going to up the wattage on the bulbs you will need to upgrade the wiring with relays. You will also be generating alot more heat in the low beam projectors, maybe too much with really big bulbs.
I'm using HID's in mine, less heat that way.
daverup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 12:59 AM   #3
viodea
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 7497
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WR Blue

daverup: what HID are you using?
How is the wiring?
I had a HID on my stock housing setup but the wiring was not clean at all.

I'm using the Morettes now and I want a cleaner setup.

thanks
viodea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 07:23 AM   #4
daverup
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3708
Vehicle:
2016 RS

My HID's are a off brand, the CATZ are commonly recommended. My wiring is complex and not what you would call clean. It has been reliable and that works for me.
I have relays powering my HID ballasts, and that requires a bit more wiring. The current draw for HID's are less that Halogens once started, but they really have a big starting surge. Plenty of people up the headlight fuse wattage when installing HID's, I think relays are a better idea.
HID's in a projector beam do a nice job of lighting up dark roads, but will still blind oncoming traffic if the aim is wrong. Make sure you aim them carefully.
daverup is offline   Reply With Quote