Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 6, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-27-2003, 10:18 PM   #1
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken

Member#: 238
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
99 Ver6 Recreation
JDM Speedwagon 3 LSDs..:)

Default need some help on my brakes...Will this work

Ok...heres my situation.

I have a MY 00 RS....with the Perrin/Wilwood front system on my car (Stock WRX Rotors and Performance Friction Race pads)....and like legacy 777, stimpy and a few others....I have the same problem...with long pedal stroke and poor modulation...the brakes are there...as I have Bled the things manually...with a power bleeder (Vacuum assisted professional bleeder) about 15 times...and about 5 pts of Motul 600 has gone thru my system...Anyways...After researching and reading posts with the same problem...I have determined that my Master Cylinder and Booster need a upgrade...so I now have a WRX M-C and Booster (03 WRX)...The Question is Has Anyone else changed out their WHOLE System....the WRX booster is about 2" bigger than my stock RS one... So...it looks like it will fit....Hopefully...I was going to attempt to put this in this weekend but I ran into a few snags...
Size of the Booster being one of them...

2nd...the WRX MC has the lines feeding...one on the top of the MC and one in the same location as my stock RS one on the Side...

So...For me to get the MC going I have to get a line made to tie into my Stock RS line to bring the fitting go to the top for the WRX MC.....

So Has anyone attempted this swap.....if so...did it all fit....no issues..or Am I attempting the unk....

Stimpy or Legacy 777..Does this Fix the Long Pedal and Modulation issues....( I sure hope this does it...)...

Thanks...

Bill
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
Legacy777
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4800
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy & 97 OBS
AWD 6MT EJ22T AWIC Swap

Bill, you need to get a MC that will fit to where your brake lines are plumbed to.

I am unaware of the sizes of the newer style MC's, which ones are 1 1/16" and which ones are 1" If you can't find a 1 1/16" MC for the newer style MC that has the ports on the side, you'll need to use a booster and MC from the older style setup. The older style boosters and MC's can't be interchanged with the newer style boosters and MC.

An option that is possible, assuming you can get the line made up, is to get a braided SS line made so that it fits on to the hard line at the MC, and then you can route it to the port on the top. This is an option, but I'd probably use that as a last resort.

Assuming you do stay with a newer style MC or WRX MC and mod your brake line, you wouldn't need to swap boosters. In fact I'd recommend staying with your stock booster. It will be boosted less because it was designed for a smaller diameter MC. Therefore by putting on a larger diameter you increase the force needed to move the MC, but keep your input force the same, so pedal feel will be better.

If you have to go to an old style MC to get the 1 1/16" MC, you'll need an old style booster, and if that's the case, you may want to just get a single stage booster, but that's up to you. I have a 1 1/16" MC for sale, for ABS cars (2-ports on the side) if you do decide to go with the older MC setup.

As for fixing the longer pedal stroke, yes it will do that. Stimpy did his, and he's happy with the results. I'm just waiting for having time to do mine, but it should be doable in the next 2-3 weeks.

josh
Legacy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 06:26 PM   #3
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken

Member#: 238
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
99 Ver6 Recreation
JDM Speedwagon 3 LSDs..:)

Legacy777

Stock RS MC is 1"....WRX is 1'1/16...Talked to my techs here at work...and should be no problem on the MC change....Just have to get the aformentioned line made....No biggie...The booster Will fit...so I am going to try it and see....Wish me luck.....That way...if it does work...I can pass my findings on to other members...

Thanks brother appreciate the help...

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 09:16 PM   #4
Legacy777
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4800
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy & 97 OBS
AWD 6MT EJ22T AWIC Swap

let us know what you find out.

Personally I think there would probably be a solution out there that would not require you to get the extra line, and would be better IMO. You'd just have to do some homework.

Same with the booster, I wouldn't swap, you will get better feel with the RS booster over the WRX.
Legacy777 is offline   Reply With Quote