Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:19 PM   #1
TonyD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 40980
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza
Dark Green

Default Ej18-ej20

I am planning on pulling out the EJ18 in my 96 impreza and dropping in an EJ20T. What all would I need to make this work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If this would help, I plan on purchasing the block from nippon-motors.com
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
TonyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:21 PM   #2
stimpy
Homicidal Maniac

Member#: 1612
Vehicle:
2008 STI

Search around on this forum and read the FAQ. If you still have questions, feel free to ask.

-Jon
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 12:04 PM   #3
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

I'm currently doing the swap into my 94 Impreza and should have it running by tuesday. I'll be glad to give you some tips once I'm done. First tip is to get all the wiring diagrams. I'm dropping an 02 US WRX engine just to clarify.
Take it easy, Micah
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 12:30 PM   #4
TonyD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1996 Impreza
Dark Green

Awesome! Thanks. I was also considering adding an upgrade kit from vishnutuning.com. Anything you can tell me would be a big big big help
Old 08-01-2003, 01:05 PM   #5
Jaxx
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 177
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
The 93 Imp W/EJ20K
flat black

wellll.....

this is the swap i did

first double your budget
2nd think about engine managment
the engine nippon is selling is an older version of the ej20 the only thing that will work form vishnu is the turbo back exaust

i am currently at about 12k including the car

for the 650+shipping you will get a long block, turbo, manafold, and air to water intercooler.. it leaves a lot to buy..

also a warning noah in salt lake (same engine) had to have his block decked as his engine was not in great shape when he got it
mine is in ok shape but i will probblay rebuild it next year
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 05:32 PM   #6
scobaru
Scooby Guru

Member#: 31345
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
05 LGT, GC8, NA
blue, white, blue

where are you guy's getting these ej20's I'm looking to do the same swap in my 94 with a jdm ej20 obd 1 engine I've read a lot of things but a few things I need cleared up about swaps. I'll need a turbo cross memeber? and turbo trannys are a pull type and N/A trannys are a pull time ((or the other way around I dont remember)) soo how would I go about converting that?
scobaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:52 PM   #7
scoobynation
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 40487

Quote:
Originally posted by scobaru
where are you guy's getting these ej20's I'm looking to do the same swap in my 94 with a jdm ej20 obd 1 engine I've read a lot of things but a few things I need cleared up about swaps. I'll need a turbo cross memeber? and turbo trannys are a pull type and N/A trannys are a pull time ((or the other way around I dont remember)) soo how would I go about converting that?

well the trannys havent really changed much in the past few years,i dont know if thats a good or bad thing but the thing is you "can" use your tranny you have now cuz most if not all will bolt up to any ej series motor in ex: ej20t motor with ej18 tranny will work.i assume you will be getting a aftermarket clutch to handle some of the extra power...as for the crossmembers,etc......you''ll have to get some wrx parts.
scoobynation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:11 PM   #8
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

I'm using an 02 WRX front crossmember and have to use washer for the controll arm mounts but the turbo legacy's sold here have a turbo crossmember that is supposedely a direct swap. I'm trying to use my old tranny and will let you know how it goes. WARNING: Depending on the age of your tranny use the appropriate caution so that your new found doubled power doesn't shread it to pieces!! I'm already looking into getting an STi or MRT gear set.
Take it easy, Micah
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 09:54 PM   #9
scobaru
Scooby Guru

Member#: 31345
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
05 LGT, GC8, NA
blue, white, blue

I want to use a Sti tranny tho soo thast why I wanna know how to go about converting to a different style clutch
scobaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 11:46 PM   #10
stimpy
Homicidal Maniac

Member#: 1612
Vehicle:
2008 STI

You will need the pull-type tranny (turbo transmission), pull-type flywheel and clutch, and the pull-type slave cylinder.

-Jon
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 01:21 PM   #11
TonyD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1996 Impreza
Dark Green

Thanks for the help, guys. I really appreciated.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:08 AM   #12
supermoose
Visiting NASIOC Timeout

Member#: 9093
Vehicle:
1995 RHD STi RA Ver2
swap starr

Default clip

u want a WHOLE front clip.

you'll save yourself MAD mony in parts, etc. time too. and u might be able to reuse much of the wiring fromt eh clip. if u have a crazy bodyman friend, or can weld, u could simply do the mechanical and do the RWD swap off the clip, and keep the wiring all JDM

h
supermoose is offline   Reply With Quote