Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-02-2003, 09:03 AM   #1
arcsound
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 10603
Vehicle:
2014 CrossTrek XV
Khaki

Default AC Compressor Removal on '96 OB

I'm in the middle of replacing the AC compressor on my '96 Legacy OB, and am interested in knowing if there is any easier way to put the replacement compressor back in the car. The difficulty in removing the original compressor was because the lower two (2) mounting bolts are very difficult to access, and required a permutation of every sundry socket driver accessory I owned. I don't want to repeat that performance, and doubt I'd even be able to get the bolts sufficiently tight.

I noticed that both the compressor and the alternator are bolted to an aluminum sub-chassis, or frame, and I am wondering if it would be easier to remove the alternator, then the frame, attach the compressor to the frame, and install the frame, along with the compressor back in the car? Looks like at least one of the bolts holding the frame to the car are equally difficult to access, though.

Any thoughts or experience? Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
arcsound is offline   Reply With Quote