Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2003, 01:25 PM   #1
Chris02WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3716
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Michigan
Question Do the STi and Evo compete against each other?

I'm having an argument on another site regarding this.

The person I'm arguing with says that the WRX and Evo are competitors and that the Ralliart Evo competes with the STi. I disagree. I say the Evo and STi compete with each other and that the WRX doesn't have a competitor from Mitsu.

What do you think? Am I right or wrong?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Chris02WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:26 PM   #2
MrBlue
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 34978
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Red Sox Nation
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
Gray

Default Re: Do the STi and Evo compete against each other?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris02WRX
[B

The person I'm arguing with says that the WRX and Evo are competitors and that the Ralliart Evo competes with the STi. I disagree. I say the Evo and STi compete with each other and that the WRX doesn't have a competitor from Mitsu.

What do you think? Am I right or wrong? [/b]
Why are you arguing with an idiot?
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:27 PM   #3
Mike Wevrick
RIP 1/19/64 - 7/23/11
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 24654
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: saraseager.com
Vehicle:
1957 Taggart Comet
atlasshruggedpart1.com

Default

You're right.
Mike Wevrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:27 PM   #4
Remy E. LeBeau
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4714
Join Date: Mar 2001
Default

Dear Mr Chris,



Do you really have to ask? These guys are Tuna Heads...Of courrse the EVO and STi compete....hmmmm....where is my Road and Track Mag or Car and Driver?





Lachlan
Remy E. LeBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:29 PM   #5
gongzero
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 25040
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Montreal, Canuckistan
Vehicle:
Up with skirts,
down with pants!

Default

here, let me fix that for you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Remy E. LeBeau
BALEETED

Do you really have to ask? These guys are Tuna Heads...Of courrse the EVO and STi compete....hmmmm....where is my Road and Track Mag or Car and Driver?

BALEETED
gongzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:29 PM   #6
soundwave
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30370
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: i-club.com
Vehicle:
2011 STi

Default

Yes, EVO vs STi sounds about right.
soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:30 PM   #7
Ferg
"Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"
Moderator
 
Member#: 14145
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Top Scoob HQ
Vehicle:
'02 WRX
'10 4Runner

Default

Quote:
If you guys had to pick any other cars besides the Camaro, what new car would you not mind getting ? I'd personally would settle for a WRX STi ...
He'd settle for a STi instead of a Camaro....
Ferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:33 PM   #8
Chris02WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3716
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Michigan
Default Re: Re: Do the STi and Evo compete against each other?

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBlue


Why are you arguing with an idiot?
I'm bored and I know he is wrong.
Chris02WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:49 PM   #9
peepshow
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1777
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte, NC USofA
Vehicle:
2005 LGT
#92 FZippy

Default

Yeah, he's wrong and you're right. The RalliArt Evo would compete with the S202/Spec C, etc, not the plain-Jane STi.

- Trent
peepshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:35 PM   #10
SenorFartman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 23003
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Quote:
The Lancer Evolution...is still a LANCER, no two ways about it. You can't disguise the thing. It's basically an AWD turbo Civic. I can't stomach paying 30K for that. The performance is great, but it needs a different platform

Hahahahahaha
SenorFartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:37 PM   #11
firedog25
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12570
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Land of Dust and Wind
Vehicle:
2002 White WRX
'91 Turbo Miata

Default Re: Do the STi and Evo compete against each other?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris02WRX
I'm having an argument on another site regarding this.

The person I'm arguing with says that the WRX and Evo are competitors and that the Ralliart Evo competes with the STi. I disagree. I say the Evo and STi compete with each other and that the WRX doesn't have a competitor from Mitsu.

What do you think? Am I right or wrong?
Are you talking about the Ralliart Lancer for the US? I've never heard of a Ralliart Evolution.

If you're talking about the USDM Ralliart Lancer, it's basically a 2.4 160 hp front driver that is no competition for anything Subaru has on it's plate. The basic Evolution (which is the only Evo we get as far as I know) does compete with the STi in power and handling, as far as drivetrain technology, the Evo is no better than the standard WRX. It doesn't have the active yaw control or variable center diff, nor does it have the same front or rear diffs that the JDM or EDM Evo has. Overall, our USDM STi is the one everyone else in the world gets to drool over for once.
firedog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 05:10 PM   #12
m750
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2278
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Pepperell MA
Vehicle:
8Sti | 07 allez
White | Comp

Default

Hello, I'm a Retard
Both cars compete. The Evo owns the WRX, the Sti is a close match. The price performance category however a used 02 (18k + mods) would prolly do quite well against an evo. I'm not sure why either of you think they aren't competitors... They are all competitiors.
AO

(edited)

Last edited by m750; 08-06-2003 at 09:23 AM.
m750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 09:12 PM   #13
Chris02WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3716
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by m750
Hello Retards...
Both cars compete. The Evo owns the WRX, the Sti is a close match. The price performance category however a used 02 (18k + mods) would prolly do quite well against an evo. I'm not sure why either of you think they aren't competitors... They are all competitiors.
AO
Retards? Wow, what are you 12.

The discussion was about direct competitors based on Hp and price. The WRX is outclassed by both and thus not a direct competitor with the Evo.

Try to a have a little tact if you are getting into the big-boy discussions.
Chris02WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 09:31 PM   #14
Capt Crunch
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 10852
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Cleveland / UMD College Park
Vehicle:
Then : JDM Ver 7 STi
Now : E46 M3 / MKVI GTI

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by m750
Hello Retards...
Both cars compete. The Evo owns the WRX, the Sti is a close match. The price performance category however a used 02 (18k + mods) would prolly do quite well against an evo. I'm not sure why either of you think they aren't competitors... They are all competitiors.
AO
Wow. I suppose WRXs compete with RS4s too. Because of mods and stuff. Part of competing is the price bracket the cars are in. Duh.
Capt Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:21 AM   #15
robmarch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 18713
Join Date: May 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Time is the Enemy
Vehicle:
06 CRV
04 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by peepshow
Yeah, he's wrong and you're right. The RalliArt Evo would compete with the S202/Spec C, etc, not the plain-Jane STi.

- Trent
ps... m750 is the smartest person evar!!!!
robmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:31 AM   #16
m750
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2278
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Pepperell MA
Vehicle:
8Sti | 07 allez
White | Comp

Default

excuse my previous direct assult, it was uncalled for.
----
go to a track, see what's there... See where cars are classified. See which cars compete head to head. WRX's, EVO's, M3's, S4's, STR4's all compete head to head in some venue. There's no right and wrong about competition, no book that says these cars match up head to head. I'd say, that speaking only in terms of price, the evo and the sti make a good match, but the difference in price is only slightly more than the difference in price between a wrx and an evo, or a wrx and a srt4, or a used m3, or a s4.
There's no right or wrong about it. So, fighting about it, on the internet, is like a gold in the special olympics.
AO
m750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:36 AM   #17
peepshow
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1777
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte, NC USofA
Vehicle:
2005 LGT
#92 FZippy

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by m750
excuse my previous direct assult, it was uncalled for.
----
go to a track, see what's there... See where cars are classified. See which cars compete head to head. WRX's, EVO's, M3's, S4's, STR4's all compete head to head in some venue. There's no right and wrong about competition, no book that says these cars match up head to head. I'd say, that speaking only in terms of price, the evo and the sti make a good match, but the difference in price is only slightly more than the difference in price between a wrx and an evo, or a wrx and a srt4, or a used m3, or a s4.
There's no right or wrong about it. So, fighting about it, on the internet, is like a gold in the special olympics.
AO
OK, that's a valid argument. However, when people speak of competing (when referring to new cars) I think most people think of competing for the same buyers. So in that scenario, no, the WRX and Evo are NOT direct competitors. Sporty $25K sedans are definitely a different market than sporty $30K+ sedans.

Racing classes do not take prices into consideration, new car buyers most certainly do.

- Trent
peepshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:43 AM   #18
e_a_olson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7034
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Newtonville, MA
Vehicle:
2005 Nissan Altima
2.5SL - Black

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by m750
So, fighting about it, on the internet, is like a gold in the special olympics.
AO
This guy won.

e_a_olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:51 AM   #19
m750
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2278
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Pepperell MA
Vehicle:
8Sti | 07 allez
White | Comp

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by peepshow


OK, that's a valid argument. However, when people speak of competing (when referring to new cars) I think most people think of competing for the same buyers. So in that scenario, no, the WRX and Evo are NOT direct competitors. Sporty $25K sedans are definitely a different market than sporty $30K+ sedans.

Racing classes do not take prices into consideration, new car buyers most certainly do.

- Trent
In terms of competition for new cars...
I still think the wrx competes with the evo. Less so in terms of performance, but more so in terms of price. Often people make those choices, they choose the more afforable car, with more options, rather than a stripped better performing car. loaded WRX vs stripped evo, what's the cost difference...?
What does edmunds say...
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/suba...les..0.Subaru*
That's my .02.
AO
m750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:13 AM   #20
MightyWRX02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16518
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: S.S. Brown Eye
Vehicle:
1584 Pirate Ship
Type ARRRRRRR!

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by e_a_olson


This guy won.
I ROBOT?
MightyWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:39 AM   #21
robmarch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 18713
Join Date: May 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Time is the Enemy
Vehicle:
06 CRV
04 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by m750


In terms of competition for new cars...
I still think the wrx competes with the evo. Less so in terms of performance, but more so in terms of price. Often people make those choices, they choose the more afforable car, with more options, rather than a stripped better performing car. loaded WRX vs stripped evo, what's the cost difference...?
What does edmunds say...
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/suba...les..0.Subaru*
That's my .02.
AO
I'm pretty sure it's just because they only have 2003 vehicles competing with each other in their comparator, because when you put the Evo in, it brings up the WRX as the subaru offering too. The Evo crowd would love to hear about that. They have an Evo/STi shootout just like everyone else does, and I'm sure they will change their competitive models for the 2004 model year.
robmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dyno readings...how different dynos stack up against each other prometheum Proven Power Bragging 19 11-17-2007 07:12 AM
My night with the STI and Evo... Conduit Impreza Forum 10 01-22-2004 05:51 PM
My Impressions on the STI and EVO.. WReXinEfX STi Forum Archive 67 08-03-2003 10:05 PM
lap times of the sti and evo dlowman STi Forum Archive 2 04-04-2003 08:56 PM
('93-'01) What do you guys think about motortrends news on the Sti and EVo? gtr Impreza Forum 12 05-30-2001 04:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.