|08-06-2003, 03:57 PM||#1|
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Jose CA US
Ultra noob utec tuning Q
I got my UTEC installed it (was a breeze) and started running the stock mode and running the logger to get a feel for all the data that I could see before runing any tuning runs (either on the dyno or on the street. I have some basic questions (which were not satisfactorily answered by the manual or by searches on NASIOC, clubwrx or i-club). Hoping someone here will be able to help me out.
My basic understanding on how one should go about doing the rex cardio:
1) Retard the ignition timing by three or 4 notches to take care of 91 octane and any boost spike issues which might cause lean outs
2) incrase the fuel throught just a little bit (maybe 0.3 or 0.4 points) to be extra safe. Both the ignition and the fuel maps will be fine tuned after the boost map has been bolted into place
3) Now get the boost map in good shape. First by setting the ABC approximately and then fine tuning stuff by dinking around with the boost map to reach the right boost levels at various RPMs and TPS values. Here is where I am a little ignaramus
a) I have TXS Stg2 with an autospeed flex uppipe. Planning to run open loop boost control and stock tuning parameters. What are the right boost values for this? what is the general guideline to vary boost across a load range (at const RPM) or across a RPM range (for a const load)? I figure the "guidelines" comes to one from tuning experience? The manual recommends some boost values for a stage 2. Are these the values I should strive to acheive? And the only way to figure the actual boost acheived is by using an external gauge right? Because the logger only shows me the boost solenoid duty cycle.
4) Now once the boost map is in the right place. I could start tuning the fuel map to get rid of any rich or lean spots. Correct? Here again, I wonder what the right AFR values are for the various RPM/Load points. Any help will be appreciated
5) Now I dink with the ignition timing. And I go through multiple iterations of tweaking the ignition map and the fuel map alternatively to reach the level of timing aggressiveness that I need on the ignition map and to remove any lean and rich spots on the fuel map.
Is this general strategy good? or am I just a dumb bloke when it comes to tuning. My logic is, even if I get someone else to do this for me, I want to be able to understand what's going on, and appreciate the beauty of it all.....
Any help/suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated
Thanks all for reading this through !
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
|08-06-2003, 05:14 PM||#2|
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WIVehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Blue now w/ 6 fun flavors
1. Yes or you can run lower boost but at stage 1 the timing pull is probably the best. You shouldn't have boost spikes... tune your boost map to eliminate them.
2. NOPE... the stock map is rich arleady no point in adding more.. if you really want to tune fuel you need a WB02.
3. Set the map values about 300 (clb i think) then open the abc about 2.5 turns so your close and do the fine adjustment from here in the boost map.
4. YOU NEED WB02 to even begin to correctly attempt this as the stock sensor will not read anything beyond 12:1 and this is not adequate...
5. Generally you need some sort of EGT sensor to tune timing well as it will tell you along w/ your AFR how safe your currently running.
A dyno is nice to as you can see whether or not your timing tweaks are actually making power.
If you decide to get a tune just watch what they are doing and you will learn a lot about how it is done.. That's were I began my love for this
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|PDX Tuning Coming to Houston - Open Source, Ecutek, AccessPort, UTEC Tuning||Geoff||Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC||53||10-15-2009 12:27 AM|
|Ultra Noob Question||chompleh||Engine Management & Tuning||19||02-23-2007 10:19 PM|
|HELP - EM Noob, I tuned my UTEC for more fuel and now their is a wierd popping noise||crystalhelix||Engine Management & Tuning||5||11-16-2005 12:12 PM|
|Utec Tune...Anywhere to get tuned?||urabusXRW||Tri-State Area Forum||1||11-23-2003 09:17 AM|
|Noob UTEC Question Re: Knock and 91Octane||Brian Broz||Engine Management & Tuning||2||03-01-2003 09:51 PM|