Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-10-2003, 05:58 AM   #1
MANGO
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 25938
Vehicle:
95 M-sweet
BLACK............

Question Can I make a '93 Impreza L to the new WRX spec?

There is a '93 Impreza Wagon L at my shop and I can get it very cheap, for about $1100, but it is AT tho......so I am thinking to put a 02 WRX engine and drivetrain in it.

Here comes my questions: is it possibile to put a 02 WRX engine and 5-speed in it? Do I have to swap the suspension or anything else at the same time? and how much money should I looking to spend in this project?

Subaru is so new for me so please give some advices. I will appreciate any info!

Daniel
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by MANGO; 08-10-2003 at 01:52 PM.
MANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:43 PM   #2
tbd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15322
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
1995 gf wagon
Blue Green Metallic 340

is this the aegean blue/green colored one in the classifieds?
maybe i've seen it.

know before hand that most wrx drive train swaps fit mechanically but require some challenging electrical rewiring work. if you're comfortable w/ this then go for it.

points of interest:

93 models are noted to have front axles that are not transferrable to the other years' transmissions. of course this is true between some other years also.

quote from chris @ i-speed, "the wiring engineers on the 93 must have been on crack!" dunno what that means, but i've never forgotten his commentary.

its not impossible though as mike shields seems to have converted his 93 sedan. see the spd website. "meet the spd impreza."

you'll need to check a few other things on that car. is it awd? if not you may want to swap out the rear suspension. all wheel disc? ditto. note that wrx spec for most drivers involves more than just the drive train. brakes and suspension upgrade are nice as well.

as for $ cost don't expect to incurr anything less than double the cost of all drivetrain pieces. try a search; it seems everyone encounters missing, damaged, or overlooked parts and service that are required at some point. maybe the added cost comes from buying those oddball parts directly from the dealer.

from what i hear, the wiring is a PITA, unless perhaps you study the approach posted by VerIII north of the border. even then it still is a challenge.

tony
me too, but in the future, not now.
tbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:00 PM   #3
Jaxx
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 177
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
The 93 Imp W/EJ20K
flat black

Quote:
93 models are noted to have front axles that are not transferrable to the other years' transmissions. of course this is true between some other years also.
wrong
FWD 93 imprezas have axels that don't transfer to any thing else (funky spine count)
AWD axels are the same as every other subaru 94-2000

physcal swap of motor is quite straight forward the wireing is a pain in the ass

i woudl put aside 4-7k for the motor/parts you will need for the swap if you do the labor... it depends on how much you want to change/improve
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 02:28 PM   #4
tbd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15322
Vehicle:
1995 gf wagon
Blue Green Metallic 340

thanks for the correction; i should have been clearer.

off topic question: is the 93 wiring different from other years?

tony
tbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 02:55 PM   #5
stimpy
Homicidal Maniac

Member#: 1612
Vehicle:
2008 STI

Quote:
Originally posted by tbd
off topic question: is the 93 wiring different from other years?
Almost every year has different wiring. The only exception to this would be the MY00 and MY01 RS. Beyond that, it is anybody's guess as to what might be the same.

-Jon
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 03:01 PM   #6
Crawford/I-Speed
Vendor

Member#: 12347
Vehicle:
ECU ReProgramming
Dynapack AWD Dyno

Experience has shown us that some something must have gone koo koo at the wiring plant in 1993.
It seems like the factory was in the middle of making cars/looms and plain ran out of wires so they started using whatever colors they could find. example: we all know ground wires to be black and sometimes even brown...but have you even seen light blue ground wires? Oh that's not enough for you. What about power wires. They are red most of the time...right? What about seeing light blue power wires? Now get this...those 2 examples are from the same car!

I don't know if this was just a strange car. But we do know it was a PITA. So, in short we stay away from the 93's.

Chris
cescamilla@i-speedusa.com
Crawford/I-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 04:20 PM   #7
Ne14korn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38929
Vehicle:
1993 impreza
green now, will be pink

i tried to do the same i was quoted almost $10,000 for of that work in IL, if you can get the work done for under $5,000 do it otherwise don't bother. another question why would you want to? all these cars are different, as different as you or i are. and you want to destroy it, to make a carbon copy of another vehicle? it proably would be cheaper in the long run if bought the subie you want. i dunno those are just my opinion.
Ne14korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 01:38 AM   #8
scoobynation
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 40487

well i heard that if you sent out,for instance, your 95 L wiring harness plus your (insert motor here) wiring harness to rallispec.they can do it for a grand or so.plus you will need the wrx cross members and so on...but any prominent auto mecahic should be able to get the motor in with no problems,its the wiring that is a pain.if im wrong please do correct me but from all around this forum is what everyone is tellin me...well thats my two cent
scoobynation is offline   Reply With Quote