Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-14-2003, 12:15 AM   #1
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 36587
Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

Default I-Speed conversion instead of Baja. I have my list made.

Ok, I have decided to start another thread on the part list for MY00 Legacy. I have below the "included" items and below that I have my upgrades from the great guys at I-Speedusa.com
I need to hear your opinions on the following upgrades, due to the main fact I am not clear, and am still doing research on some of those items. To see what works best. I am planning (for those who do not know) to race this car in SCCA and NASA (when I look more into that) and will also be my daily driver. The only items that are not there are better internals which are sounding better even with moderate boost just to keep an extra safety net under me...well and the car.

WRX Engine Swap

Stock TD04-L Turbo (Included) Stock Intercooler
Stock Downpipe
Stock Intake Piping
Stock Wastegate
Stock BOV
Stock Fuel Pump
Stock Oil Pan
Stock Air Filter
Stock Exhaust
Stock Crossmember
Stock Sway Bar
Stock 420cc Injectors
Stock Spark Plugs
Stock Wiring Harness
Stock Fuel Relay
Installed Exedy Clutch and Pressure Plate
Installed Exedy Chrome Flywheel (13 Pounds)

VF35 Turbo
Turbo XS UpPipe
Brullen Exahust, Down-pipe, hi-flow cat, and cat-back Full 3"piping, Dual 3.5" tips
STi 565cc Injectors
ECUTek ReFlash
Carbon Fiber Hood-Erebuni #975HOODDCF
Gauges, oil, temp, fuel to air
Boost Gauge
5" Tach w/shift light
A-pillar pod cluster 3 2"gagues
Apexi Auto Turbo Timer
Boost Controller GReddy Profec B - Electronic Boost Controller
GReddy Front Mount Intercooler
STi Motor/Trans Mounts
Oil Cooler
CUSCO Headers
Injen CAI
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 10:21 AM   #2
omahasubaru
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1594
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2002 Legacy

Quote:
VF35 Turbo
explore your options before you go with this one. Many more out there for less & you really need to think about how much boost & how quick of spool you want.

Quote:
Carbon Fiber Hood-Erebuni #975HOODDCF
You should wait for GTBGuy's hood to come out or just hold off for the Baja Turbo to hit the dealers. I'm willing to bet it will be cheaper (Baja) & better quality (GTBGuy) than anything from Erebuni.

Quote:
GReddy Front Mount Intercooler
They make one for the BE/BH Legacy? If you're runing one of these forget the hood... keep it stealth/stock looking.

Quote:
Gauges, oil, temp, fuel to air
Boost Gauge
5" Tach w/shift light
A-pillar pod cluster 3 2"gagues
Why not get rid of all your gauges you have listed & get the SECS... your Legacy has 3 din panels so you could give up one for it. It can give you all the info & soon should allow for an aux EGT guage or other. You can set a shift light from it as well as high/low warnings for each parameter. Works with the stock WRX ECU you're putting in.

For me the Legacy is too nice to throw 3-4 guages & a bit 5" tach in it... it doesn't look good in any car if you ask me. A/F guage is really pointless. Wide Band 02 sensor & display or EGT would be more useful

Quote:
CUSCO Headers
Injen CAI
Not really worth the money in my opinion

That's all I got for now. Great choice on the exhaust! I'd hate to see the bill when this is all said & done
omahasubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:34 AM   #3
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

Ya it is getting high, all my war chest money will be gone for a coule years that is for sure.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:47 PM   #4
Jaxx
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 177
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
The 93 Imp W/EJ20K
flat black

things i would skip

5" Tach w/shift light (its not a honda)
Apexi Auto Turbo Timer (you don't need it car will circulate water w/o it)
Boost Controller GReddy Profec B - Electronic Boost Controller ( unnessicary with ecutek reflash)
CUSCO Headers (unnessicary espically for the price ..if your set on headders get the borlas)
Injen CAI (snake oil and difficult to tune)

things to change
oil, temp, fuel to air Boost Gauge
go with boost/oil presure/egt/oil temp or fuel pressure ...skip a/f

front mount or hood but not both.. a front mount will have to be custom piped due to ej205 never haveing ben sold in a legacy

things to add
high flow fuel pump
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 02:23 PM   #5
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

he we go, these make some sense. So the boost controler is something I do not need, how come? The front mount cooler is something that I want. Sillly me, I forgot that I do not need a special hood with the front mount cooler!
Old 08-14-2003, 02:51 PM   #6
omahasubaru
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2002 Legacy

You're going to need a custom intercooler unless you're importing some JDM FMIC for a Legacy. I have the Hyper Rev magazine for the BE/BH Legacy's so I can get you pics & company names if your set on a FMIC & you'd like one that would require minimal modification... then again most are for the TT Legacy so wouldn't do you much good. Custom Spearco core & piping (silicon not metal) would do the trick nicely.

The ECUTek reflash can set/control boost just like the stock ECU can. No need for a controller... I agree on the A/F gauge & turbo timer, but I just figured those were bling/convinence items.

If you're set on an upgraded exhaust mainfold get it coated... you want to keep all the heat in you can (that is why stock is soo good!).

Good luck.

My recommendation in all honesty is do the stock WRX swap with an uppipe upgrade & your exhaust upgrade. Get the turbo Legacy hood & forget about the FMIC... & before you hook it up, send the ECU to cobb for their reflash or get the ECUTek it's up to you.

I think you'd be quite happy with 280hp/285ft.lbs & need all that other 'stuff' at that point you don't really need any gauges except boost, just to have an idea where it is as well as maybe EGT if you're parinoid as well as oil temp/press. Again the SECS would do almost all that

Good luck again.... If you want me to revise your list per my 100% opinion (that's all I can give) let me know.

I would say you should do some more research before you just start throwing upgrades at your car... find out what they do & what you want.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:00 PM   #7
Crawford/I-Speed
Vendor

Member#: 12347
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
ECU ReProgramming
Dynapack AWD Dyno

Britt,

VF35 Turbo - Ok
Turbo XS UpPipe – ok
Brullen Exahust, Down-pipe, hi-flow cat, and cat-back Full 3"piping, Dual 3.5" tips - ok, there will be some cutting involved.
STi 565cc Injectors - ok
ECUTek ReFlash - ok
Carbon Fiber Hood-Erebuni #975HOODDCF0 – it will save weight and look kool but why would you need this if you are going FMIC?
Gauges, oil, temp, fuel to air – Boost gauge, EGT, Oil pressure are the common ones
5" Tach w/shift light – not really my cup of tea. If you need to know when to shift just look at the stock tach. A good point for the conversions is shifting right at redline (6500-7000).
A-pillar pod cluster 3 2"gagues – which ones omori?
Apexi Auto Turbo Timer - yeah that’s ok
Boost Controller GReddy Profec B - Electronic Boost Controller – not needed and burdensome with the ECUtek
GReddy Front Mount Intercooler – is this a FMIC for a legacy b4 or a wrx? Because the piping will be different. If the piping has to be re fabbed then plan on spending more money.
STi Motor/Trans Mounts - yes
Oil Cooler - yes
CUSCO Headers – Kool looking headers. There are other sets out there that are cheaper and do the same thing. email me for details.
Injen CAI – True, it’s difficult to tune with aftermarket intakes. It’s not impossible. Do we like to do it…not unless the customer wants to pay for it. honestly just a K&N works great
Things to consider adding: colder plat spark plugs, radiator, short shifter, FRONT BRAKES

(I'd personally, not get the FMIC get a TMIC and get brakes instead)

For reference sake: one of our RS conversions runs 12.5-12.8 with: VF35, 565’s, pwr radiator, samco IC hoses, 3” exhaust, ACT clutch, colder plugs, and APS topmount.

There are my comments. Feel free to add your own.

Chris
cescamilla@i-speedusa.com

edit: woops I forgot to mention clutch (Exedy or ACT).

Last edited by I-Speed USA; 08-14-2003 at 04:13 PM.
Crawford/I-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 05:28 PM   #8
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

There is the man. Thanks Chris, I was going to send something off to you close to this list. I was looking to see what else I could be missing without taking too much of your time. If you can write up a quote from this that would be cool with all your yes. IF there is anything that we can add with out to much trouble down the road that would be ok too, maybe a 2 step program.
1) engine upgrade and add-ons
2) rest of addons
Then lets go with out the FMIC, I just thought do it now, maybe we can add it later? Yes that would be a WRX setup. Yes I would like to find some Omori's.
Give me a call if you like Chris,
Thanks again!
Old 08-15-2003, 05:10 PM   #9
garface
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1581
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
MY00 RS/STi7
MY01 RS Both Silverthorne

The Brullen has an amazing sound, but be prepared to pay extra labor for installation.
garface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 02:48 AM   #10
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

omahasubaru: Could you please send me some links on those FMIC please? I would like to just take a look and see. The problem I see is I will also have to go out and drom some coin on a front grill, bumper, or something that will alow the air to go into the car from the front.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:03 PM   #11
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

What if I go with the Perrin uppipe & downpipe and the Brullen exhaust, instead of the Brullen downpipe. Also a larger intercooler from where?
Old 08-18-2003, 10:11 AM   #12
omahasubaru
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2002 Legacy

That is what I would do. still cheaper though.
I like the Perrin up-pipe, but for a DP save some money.. get the HKS or something simlar. No need to spend a ton on that. If you got a DP that was only the stock first section instead of replacing both sections then you could make up a custom peice between the DP & Brullen Catback. As I said before I like this idea much more than buying a full on WRX catback.

It will be cheaper to do a custom Spearco core & custom piping rather than importing a JDM Legacy Turbo FMIC which is designed for the TT set-up & will have to be modified anyway.

I'll try & scan some pics of the I/C's from our Hyper Rev magazine. There isn't a lot of selection and in all honesty you're better off going TMIC... one to make the hood worth it (functional) & two because you say you want to race this in autocross like events so obviously the less lag the better.

Jon
Old 08-27-2003, 02:36 AM   #13
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

Will the Prodrive exhaust hook up with the a 3" mid pipe, and will it keep me in the STS auto-x class?
Old 08-27-2003, 12:06 PM   #14
HeMan1320
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 26067
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Open Sourced

if this is going to be your daily driver have you looked into any of the accessories? AC is nice in the 90degree heat.
HeMan1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 09:50 AM   #15
omahasubaru
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2002 Legacy

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
Will the Prodrive exhaust hook up with the a 3" mid pipe, and will it keep me in the STS auto-x class?
Ha Ha If you turbo this car you won't be running in STS no matter what exhaust set-up you have.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:13 AM   #16
Solomon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT (BE)

I know just wanted to finnish out a few more races for the seasson. That conversion is after the first of the year.