Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-02-2003, 01:01 AM   #1
White 2.5rs
Scooby Guru

Member#: 39936
Vehicle:
99RS TWE&SCAT EJ257
Hydra+HMist+PPG+35R=DEATH

Default old ass subaru question

ok my 89
its been overheating like a somebltch
i opened up the hood boom a pinhole leak on a small diameter hose thats long and weird shaped which i have to get from teh dealer...still havent done that

what i did do was replace the thermostat...which fixed the overheating problem for about 2 days the car ran really cool which i was happy about but now its just overheating again

ive heard bad things about subarus and their cooling systems but this just makes no sense

i dont think that pinhold leak could cuase such a maddoverheating and ive checked fluid in the radiator and its fine, theres oil in the car

ive got 116K miles and tonite on the freeway...its about 70 out and i was doin 65 i had to have the heat on full blast to keep it below the halfway mark on the temp gauge if i turned the heat off itd go up almost to red

ieve heard that it might be the head gasket? any ideas

please let me know
thanks
alex
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
White 2.5rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 11:42 AM   #2
ciper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15543
Vehicle:
90BJ Legacy LS ABS
AWD 946 Rio Red Jpn built

You are wrong. 89 is not anywhere near old. Get into the 70's and then I might agree.

My first guess would be you still have air trapped in the system. Find the steepest spot you can, so that the rad cap is well above the heater core. Open the cap and start the car. Let it run for a while even if some spills out, it may take awhile for the bubble to come out.

Make sure the coolant tank has plent of fluid. Drive the car around until its at operating temp and then park it on that same hill.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
Legacy777
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4800
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy & 97 OBS
AWD 6MT EJ22T AWIC Swap

was the new thermostat that you replaced the old one with exactly the same in physical shape and size?
Legacy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 01:18 PM   #4
White 2.5rs
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
99RS TWE&SCAT EJ257

yeah it was from shucks i made sure it had the same spring tension as the other one too

ok ill try that air thing and get back to u guys
Old 09-02-2003, 03:00 PM   #5
White 2.5rs
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
99RS TWE&SCAT EJ257

that seems to have fixed it
the rad was very thirsty it drank like 1.25 liters maybe 1.5 and i took it out w/ the ac on and was mashin it and it didnt get hot

thanks a lot guys
Old 09-02-2003, 04:06 PM   #6
ciper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15543
Vehicle:
90BJ Legacy LS ABS
AWD 946 Rio Red Jpn built

I think what Legacy777 is getting at is that you should NOT use aftermarket thermostats. Its one of those things that all of us get from the dealer becuase of some bad experiences.

Glad to know it worked
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 04:57 PM   #7
Legacy777
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4800
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy & 97 OBS
AWD 6MT EJ22T AWIC Swap

I wasn't mainly talking about the spring tension and stuff.....I was mainly talking about the physically dimensions, shape, etc.

I don't know how it is on the 80's subies. But on the EJ series motors, if you get a T-stat at schucks or some place it will not be very deep and will physically look different then the OEM one.

The differences are not only skin deep. The OEM unit has a higher resistance to temperature change then aftermarket. So if you get a flash of cold water, the OEM will not try and close. Also, opening amount is not as much with aftermarket, and how long it takes for the t-stat to open.

This all may not be an issue on the 80's motors.....but on the EJ series motors, it is an issue, and you will have problems. I've had it personally happen to me, and others have had the same problems.
Legacy777 is offline   Reply With Quote